[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fear of the passage of time/aging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Recently, as in within the last year, I've developed a crippling fear of aging and growing old and dying.
It all sort of started around the time I graduated high school and got a job as a cleaner at a supermarket. I would spend hours just watching customers go by while I do my job and the fact that there are so many of them and they all hold their own individual unique lives and experiences just fucked with me something hardcore.
I'm scared about becoming middle aged and miserable, stuck in a dead-end job like my coworkers, but then I'm also scared of quitting my job because what if I just turn into a NEET without any sense of direction? But then I'm also scared of choosing ANY kind of direction by going to uni or anything like that because I'm afraid I'll pick the wrong path and waste years of my life going the wrong way.
I obsessively hold onto money because I'm scared of being poor and homeless, but what's the point of working myself into the ground if it's just to make sure I have a roof over my head and I have no other kind of life? I got drunk last night and spent $200 and all I can think about is that that's a weeks' paycheck and I just wasted a week by spending that.
How the fuck do I stop overthinking everything? How do I start my life and become a proper adult? I'm just so scared of everything.
>>
LSD
>>
I'm earning as much as possible to give to anti-aging research or to go to grad school to research it.

I gave $1k last year on lifespan.io.
>>
>>18143711
Already done it, probably contributed to my problems in the long run
>>
>>18143684
There's an epidemic of manchildren because growing up just doesn't work out in the cost benefit analysis anymore. You need to be properly motivated to work your ass off and the motivations for everyone are slowly breaking down.
>>
>>18143719

That sucks sorry to hear laddy, it really really helped me to discover who I am and fix my life. Meditation my friend your problem is over thinking so you need to enter a space of No thought that I'd meditation

Git gud at it and the rest will fall into place

Eckhart tolle
OSHO are good mentors
>>
>>18143724
So what do we do about it? What happens when suddenly we're 45 with nothing to show for it and no parents to rely on anymore?
>>
>>18143684
You seem to put too much worth in making a lot of money.

Its been hammered into you since birth that earning lots of money and holding useless degrees is what it takes to be HAPPY.

Its just not the case op. You look down on your older coworkers for working their. But millions of people work these jobs. Millions of people never go to college. Millions of people are poor. And a lot of them may legitimately be more happier than you will ever have the privilege of every knowing.

Maybe you want to work hard and achieve great things? Maybe you dont? You dont even know what you truly want do you? That's because you are terrified of being a the loser that you were conditioned to believe exists since your birthm the loser who doesnt have 3 college degrees and works for some fortune 500 company or whatever bullshit you were trained to believe is true happiness.

Stop and really think about what it is you truly want out of life and work towards that goal. Maybe you like overcoming obstacles and working hard. Then go and chase that degree and work your way up some corporate ladder.

Maybe all you want in life is a wife, your family, and enough money to get by. Maybe this equals happiness.

Decide what it is you want in life and work at that.
>>
>>18143684
You should really try being homeless for a while. It will likely only motivate you to work harder while getting rid of the fear. You'll know that you could handle it if it ever happens and you'll have more of an appreciation for everything that the work you're doing earns you.
>>
>>18143748
this is golden.

but you could have any other job, it will mostly depends on how do you think about your time spent on working. cause if you measure knowledge on "how much money could I earn with", you're not gonna happy at all. go to college cause you want to observe and experience more and more. if you take a path first you don't really like, you can leave that path and try another. if you're experience the path you leaved as knowledge, like "now I know that physics is not the thing I wan't to study", then it's not wasted time. rethink the way you think about your time spent, OP.
>>
>>18143684
A couple of thoughts came to me while I was reading OP:
>1
If you don't make choices in your own life, life WILL choose for you. And you may or may not like that.... Life won't give a fuck. I prefer to make choices for my own life instead of leaving it up to Life. So in my view you must accept that you must make a choice of some kind and live with the consequences.

>2
Accept the fact that you will grow old, age, and die. This is kind of like... duh.

>3
If you have to grow old and die... and you have to make choices for your own life (unless you want to let Life choose for you.. which it will).... then the only thing left to do is Think, Plan, and Execute.

Think about your options. Plan what you want. Go get it. That's all any of us do.

What are some things you want?
>>
>>18143748
Yeah this is great advice
>>
Bumping this thread so I can also voice my thoughts on it when I get to my wageslave job that I've been stuck on for years.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.