[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Life plan advice please

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: yeet.png (13KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
yeet.png
13KB, 120x120px
Hey /adv/, senior in highschool here. Up until a few days ago I had no ambitions for life whatsoever but I spontaneously turned that around and was hoping you guys could help me refine my plans for life. The three things I always wanted to do as a child was;
1. Serve in the military (what little boy doesn't dream about this at one point or another)
2. Own a farm (the countryside is to comfy, fuck urban areas)
3. Get paid to talk about History (been obsessed with history ever since I was old enough to read)
So I've come up with a sort of 3-step plan to fulfill all those ambitions, here it is. After reading please help me refine it and make it more plausible. Cheers in advance.

>Get and hold part-time job over summer and throughout first 4 years of college
>Go to community college to get basics out of the way because cheap
>Push myself as hard as bossible in 1st year and after 1st year ends, enlist in Air Force Reserves
>Best pay, best benefits
>Finish 2nd year
>Go to a university and get a 2-year degree in agriculture
>When I finish I'll be around 22 and will have saved up 3 salaries from AFR and part-time job money
>I've calculated I'll have (very, very roughly) $20,000
>But land in north eastern Arizona for several reasons
>Generally cheap (about 37 acres for $18,000)
>Good good farmland
>Want to go to uni in Arizona
>Parents at this time will live in Arizona so if I absolutely flop, it'll only be a 4 hour drive to Phoenix
>Maybe live w/ parents while setting up and building farm
>Get full time job at this point to support myself and afford farm equipment, etc.
I've set aside 1-2 years for the set up of my farm where I'm just holding a full-time job and getting the farm running
>I'll be around 24 by the time farm is operational so I'll move out of barent humble abode
>Quit full time job
>Get part-time job
>With money I've hopefully been able to set aside during the 2 years of full-time work, apply to Arizona Uni's
will cont.
>>
>>18140822
>Go for a doctoral degree in history
>Balance school, part-time job, and harvesting
>Degree will take me about 8 years
>When 8 years is up quit part-time job
>Get job as professor
>Have farm income as well and professor income
>I've calculated that after taxes and maintenance costs, I'll have an annual income of about $120,000- $200,000
>Will have also fulfilled all life goals by 32

Well, /adv/, is it plausible? Where can I improve? Thanks
>>
blease bump
>>
blease help
>>
blease
>>
help
>>
I'll help OP just give me a second to write my post
>>
>>18141070
danke
>>
First of all i'm really impressed that you're taking your future this seriously at your age. I have never met somebody who was this determined and responsible at that age before.

The military is a trap. You will not like it. They glorify it and make it look really tempting specifically to try and draw people into it like a moth to a flame. Stay away from it. You have one life. Don't let the government trick you into feeling good about potentially dying in your mid 20s while they don't give a fuck about expending your life like this. Especially over a war they could be solving in peaceful ways but instead turn to violence like idiots instead.

As for your other ideas, it sounds nice in theory but the reality of actually doing it will be much different than you envisioned. There will be a ton of things that will come up about pursuing this that you never considered that may make you want to turn tail and not do it at all. So for now you can't say anything for sure. It's one thing to like history but to say for sure you like it so much that you would study it religiously for 8 years is different. The level of study required for history in college would be significantly more difficult than how you studied it in highschool. You may decide you like history, but not THAT MUCH once you see how hard it is to study for that degree. The idea about the farm is the same way. You've never tried to do that stuff with a farm before. It's a lot of hard work.

Don't settle on the plan just yet. Spend more time looking into other things you might want to pursue. There may be something out there you find you'll want to do way more than all this stuff. So give yourself more of a chance to find that stuff.
>>
>>18141115
Don't listen to this idiots assessment of the military anon, it offers a lot of benefits such as school and healthcare and there's a very low chance that you will be deployed if you're in the Airforce reserves or air national guard. I think you should plan out for the 4 year university and play it by ear, see where you're at and decide where you want to go from there
>>
>>18141115
Thanks for the reply mate, I really do appreciate all the help I can get.

On the military thing, my reasoning for joining the Air Force Reserve is so that if I am activated I don't have to fight. I was considering choosing an MOS like engineering or something along those lines so that;
1. The skills I learn may help me find a part or full time civilian job
2. I could use those skills when building my house perhaps
3. An engineer in the Air Force is never even close to the front line

Maybe the last one is not entirely accurate, but Air Force money will be a huge help when it comes to buying land. Do you know an alternative to the military in which I could make a considerable amount of money? Is the National Guard also a trap or is it ok?

And I know I won't have a problem at all with the history degree, I've spent quite literally every second of my free time since I was 6 researching history and reading books on history.

As for the farm idea, you're right, I haven't tried to do that before. But I do love physical exertion and labor however weird that may sound. Is that enough to be able to work on a farm?

And I haven't settled entirely on this plan yet, it would be idiotic of me to do. Again, this plan is only a few days old so I do expect it to change. But thanks for the help mate. I'll definitely have to think and consider everything you've said more.
>>
>>18141145
So you think it's a good idea for me to go into the Air Force Reserve in my second year of Uni?
>>
>>18140822
Professor writing here.

i agree with the previous writer who says you've romanticized almost everything in your plan. That does not mean that it is undoable, just that it will not all fall into place as smoothly as you think.

I won't comment on the military.

Farming is a very, VERY tenuous way to make a living, and the small, independently-owned farm is all-but-extinct. (It's all big agribusinesses). It is also incredibly labor-intensive, and any idea you have about farming part-time while being a history professor part-time will have to go.

The academic life is also both economically fragile and labor-intensive. Both undergrad and especially grad school will take up immense amounts of your time and energy. And if you do succeed in finding a teaching job, it will not be the part-time work it looks like from the outside.

Meanwhile, there is some logic to the marketplace. If land is cheap in Arizona it is because the land isn't worth much, for farming or any other use.

A more realistic plan. Go to college. Take your time deciding which of your dream futures - as farmer or teacher - will be central and which a hobby or sideline. Commit yourself to your studies of one or the other. If it's farming, don't think of buying land and starting a farm. Think of working for an established farmer, learning on the job, and perhaps eventually buying him out. And read about history in what free time you have.

If it's teaching, think of living in the country with perhaps a small market garden as a sparetime activity.

You probably can't have it all. But you can have one with a satisfying bit of the other.
>>
>>18141169
I've checked out how farming is in Arizona, and apparently 95% of the farms there are not company, but family run. Apparently they don't produce a big enough of a profit to entice companies to buy them up. As for when I am in school working on a doctorates in history, I plan to outsource the labor to farmhands, I don't plan to work on my farm at all during those 8 years. What my ideal plan is, take the profits from the farm and use them to maintain it and pay the workers, and use the money from whatever other job I have while I'm in school to sustain myself. I know there is probably a pretty obvious flaw in that plan, but I'm too swept up with the idea of it to find it.

I've also checked into why Arizona land is cheap, and it's not because it's bad land. North Eastern Arizona has some of the most fertile land in America, apparently it's cheap because everyone is moving away. No one who is raised on a farm wants to inherit and work it from their parents so they're looking to just sell it off once their folks die because it's a reliability.

Could I have it all if I used farm profits to maintain the farm and pay workers, and used professor pay to sustain myself?
>>
page 3 rip?
>>
>Generally cheap (about 37 acres for $18,000)
This could be a potential risk as I see it right now. Prices goes up and down, if you are lucky they will go down within the years. But they might also go up so keep that in mind.

Also, with all that studying, you will probably have a fair amount of study loans. Have you taken that into account?

If you fall in love, your plan most likely will get rekt. With that said, some researcher found that people who got detailed plans like you seem to have, ended up 90% more successful than their peers. So good luck!
>>
>>18141371
Not too worried about student loans. Everyone more or less pays them off in time.

Don't plan on falling in love though. If a woman gets in the way of my ambition and dreams, she's not a healthy part of my life. My waifu pillow will keep me company.
>>
>>18141378
Mah nigga.
>>
page 3 again. anymore advice before thread 404's?
>>
i will not let this thread die
>>
The big question is: What is life about? I am wondering myself, is it normal to experience reluctance when thinking about working tomorrow? Should your job not provide you with fulfillment and happiness to some degree?
>>
I'm assuming the uni you're talking about is NAU? Good school, my sister and good friend went there and as long as you have good study habits you will be fine.

When you say northeast Arizona, where are we talking? Holbrook, Payson, Show-Low, Snowflake, Heber-Overgaard? I own land in the ladder, a very small amount though.

As far as the military goes, it's your own decision. I was in the Army for 3 years and some change, didn't like it and got out at the end of my contract. Of course you're thinking of Air Force Reserves. Keeping in mind you will still go to basic training and tech school the same way active duty does, which could be a full year depending on what you choose (security forces most likely). If you are single with no dependents and only want to join the military for steady income, I would strongly advise against it. You need to either have an extreme passion for the military, or dependents counting on you to provide.
>>
>>18141586
Well, as the saying goes, you only have one life. Why would you waste it doing something you hate?

>>18141610
I've been looking at land in Apache County mostly, no specific city. And in my plan, the money from the Air Force is going to be vital when it comes to buying land. Do you know of a way other than military in which I can get around $10,000 in 3 years? Apart from just a part-time job, because I plan to hold one while whether I go into the reserves or not.
>>
If you're going to go through all that bullshit, why not just do ROTC?
>>
>>18142229
He would have to stay in the military for 5 - 7, years active duty
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.