[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to Stop Feeling Miserable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: nevermore.jpg (573KB, 1280x1478px) Image search: [Google]
nevermore.jpg
573KB, 1280x1478px
When I lie in bed at night or anytime I'm alone I feel this hollow crushing feeling inside my chest. Sometimes I attribute it to not having a girlfriend (khv at 21 - I desire cuddles more than anything) but I don't even know if that would fix it long term. Of course I have no idea how to meet people and I've been interested in like 2 people throughout my entire life ever whom I'm retrospectively glad I didn't pursue, so it doesn't matter whether or not this is the problem. I doubt I'll ever muster the courage to ask someone out or anything like that.

Everything hurts so much. I'm going in a relatively good direction in life, (obtaining bachelors, doing summer research, planning on pursing PhD) but it's all a fucking sham. I don't want to be here, I don't want this life or any life. Why the fuck do I have to be so miserable? Why do I feel like this?

It's been like this as long as I can remember. I've literally never been happy long term, I always come back to feeling awful, like there's this hole in my chest and I don't even know what to fill it with. And everyone thinks I'm this cheery, successful person to be envied.

I don't expect /adv/ to be of much help (I've made posts like this before, here and elsewhere,) but once again I felt compelled to do something. Somebody tell me something I haven't heard before that will help, please.
>>
People will lie and say it gets better but it won't. Time is a flat circle. These feelings return and consume you over and over. People like to think these down times are worth living for but they aren't. Either you endure a painful existence or expedite the process.
>>
>>18139925
I feel like this a lot too, OP. Unfortunately for you, I'm not a khv, I had a gf for a year and a half when I was 17-18. Not going to lie, it felt like all my problems had been solved.

For a while.

Then I gradually slipped back into my old ways of thinking. I still felt unsatisfied (although somewhat less unsatisfied), as though something was missing.

I still feel that way. I give the same impression as you; I do alright in my studies, all my friends think that I am largely happy, and when I do see them I do enjoy my time with them. But deep down I feel that there must be more.

I continue on because I feel that it must get better in the future. I really want to get married and have children. That's pretty much all I hang on for. If I found out I was sterile, I suspect that I would kill myself pretty much immediately. I also plan on doing it if I'm unmarried at 40 because I consider that to be a failure of life.

I wish I could help you but I really can't. I'm in pretty much the same boat.

I hope something I said was valuable to you.
>>
File: 1183482435707.jpg (39KB, 418x467px) Image search: [Google]
1183482435707.jpg
39KB, 418x467px
>>18139925
Seems like you're struggling with some sort of existential crisis, trying to find meaning in life and failing. That sure can get you down and depress you. Why don't you read Feeling Good by David Burns? It delineates coping strategies for being unhappy, in every possible situation. It's a great book. What do you have to lose?
>>
File: 3ym.jpg (97KB, 594x585px) Image search: [Google]
3ym.jpg
97KB, 594x585px
>>18139925

You need a goal anon. Your heart wants something but your brain doesn't bother about it.

You must get yourself 2 bottles of whatever booze you prefer, go somewhere where you are alone and try to visualize how you would like your life to be in 3 years time, 5 years time or 10 years time.

You need a goal, a vision. Start with the vision and then build the plan. Follow the plan and build the goal.
Maybe you understand and agree with this, maybe not. Life is all about choices. We choose to be rich or poor, happy or unhappy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFhkdzj-x80
>>
>people have been having kids by 20s for millenniums
>we don't
>we wonder why life feels futile

ehhehehehe BOY I SURE DO WANDA WHAT CUD IT BEEEEEeeeee
>>
>>18140204
This.
>>
File: tao-te-ching.jpg (431KB, 1000x1534px) Image search: [Google]
tao-te-ching.jpg
431KB, 1000x1534px
Try this. You have nothing to lose.
Goals bring a temporary fulfillment, not happiness.
>>
>>18139925
You probably feel crushed by your expectations of what life should be, you know the stupidest thing you can do is try to look to other peoples as a measure to your own life, if you feel that everything you're doing now feels meaningless and unfulfilling then well shit, you're like 90% of the people out there, you're doing something you don't like for the sake of surviving. Is this feeling ever going to stop? No. Should you throw it all away on a spiritual journey to find what really makes you happy? Hell no, you could waste all your life looking for it and never find it.

Solution? I can't tell you what will make you happy but I can tell you how I dealt with my existential crisis, I learned to put things into perspective, as in if something threatens my life, its bad and I should worry about it, if not then fuck it. I also studied history and realized that the society we live in is but a temporary state so everything they preach about success and happiness is bullshit, happiness itself is a modern concept twisted to make you go through stupid shit that society wants to do as a abstract reward. As in, if you finish college and get a good job you will be happy! Thats just bullshit that they keep in the back of your mind so you keep wasting 8 hours of your day making money to keep the system rolling. I'm not suggesting you go full hippie and refuse society, I'm just saying that once you open your eyes to how things really is and free yourself of the self blame for not finding "traditional happiness" life will get a lot more pleasant. I am an active member of society, I do my normie tasks as a good little robot but I'm never in despair because I don't really take it all too serious, for me being alive in this planet is the only thing that matters, I live to keep on living and I don't really feel pressured to find the happiness they try to sell out to me so hard.
>>
>>18140515
These concepts are taught in the book Feeling Good. Just get it.
>>
>>18140283

OP here

I will never create life - I view such an action as unethical. Maybe adopt, that's not out of the question, but it would be a long time in the future.

I wouldn't say meaninglessness is what is causing me pain. If life had more meaning it would probably make me feel worse.

I don't think this is an "existential crisis". As I said, I've felt like this pretty much my whole life. I know I'm being dismissive of your (everyone's) advice, I'm just not optimistic that I will ever feel okay. Hedonic treadmill and all that...

Really my biggest wish right now is to meet someone with whom I feel close. It won't help long term, but having someone to hold and to hold me at night would probably help for a week or two, and that's better than nothing.
>>
>>18140502
All you retards try to do is take advantage of mentally ill people to shill your religions in every thread on here. It's fucking disgusting how insidious you proselytizing parasites are.

Choke to death on Beijing's smog.
>>
>>18140878
I'll tell you now that if you're throwing off the vibe of "I don't care it's all pointless" you'll never find anyone worth being around.

I agree that life is ultimately pointless but you know what? That leaves any number of paths open to you. I keep bees for example, I tend to them and they make my garden and the surrounding fields bloom every spring, and leave the farmers with fruit and corn.

Why I die the bees will go elsewhere, the hives will degrade and ultimately everything I have done in life will amount to nothing given time. But when I'm sitting on my porch drinking a glass of mead I made from the honey I harvested, watching the sun set over the fields of wildflowers I made and the bees helped grow, I am at peace.

Life ultimately has no point, but little moments like that are what make it worth living.
>>
>>18140896

I don't claim life is pointless - we give it meaning, (like we give everything meaning.) Nor do I put off that impression - nobody but people in this thread know I feel like this at all.

>>18140204

>expedite the process

I could never do that to my friends or family. Don't have the guts anyway.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.