[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My older sibling is being nasty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 4chan.jpg (157KB, 958x700px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
157KB, 958x700px
My older sibling who is in medical school and we live together. He keeps on telling me I won't make it into medical school and that I am not smart enough. He says a lot of other things that are quite condensing. I told him that I resent him for saying such things and wished him to stop but he didn't care and says them more.

I am really hurt and he doesn't care. What is something I can say to him that would hurt a bit and decrease the amount of things he says to me?
>>
I'm in undergrad and going for premed and I love him but I need this stop
>>
>>18138871
ignore him. completely. how old is he? how old are you?
that really sucks man. im sorry for that.
sibling relationships have insane potential for bringing value into you life. your sibling can really be there for you in ways others can't, being that they have always known you and know your entire past.
i feel really bad for you and sad that your brother would throw away that relationship.
>>
There is like a 7 year difference. I really do love him and he is smart but anything he says to me that is nasty it doesn't matter but if I say something mean it is the biggest thing. My parents get it and agree with me. I just feel after I am done with undergrad and move onto medical school that our relationship is done. I will always love him but I don't think I can care for him.
>>
>>18138871
I empathize. My brother is a lazy manchild in his late 20s. While he sometimes shows sympathy, most of the time he's nearly completely apathetic. If he's as stubborn as my brother then my best advice to you is to not let yourself get dragged down. Sometimes you have to cut ties to not let people get to you. Even if that means losing your brother for the moment. Who knows, maybe you'll reconcile later on in life. It isn't your fault.
>>
>>18138871
>What is something I can say to him that would hurt a bit and decrease the amount of things he says to me?
Nothing, because he doesn't care. He enjoys belittling you and making you feel inferior. Your only response to him should be, "Okay," and then walk off to do your own thing. That's a technique called greyrocking. You don't give the person the reaction they're looking for and you keep information about yourself to a minimum.

Best thing you can do? Ignore him and do well in medical school. Easiest way to shit on him.
>>
>>18138871
his opinion isn't really relevant

if you want to bother him, ask him why he's taking it out on you. maybe he regrets his decision? maybe the stress is getting to him? med school has the highest suicide rates.maybe he's jealous? maybe he's not doing as well as he would like, or maybe other aspects of his life are suffering, like his social life or his sex life?
anyway, bullies don't make good doctors.

maybe you guys are sharing too cramped of a space and he needs a bit of room and some time alone?

i was fighting with my younger brother every day for a while, so I stopped talking to him and gave him a bunch of space and after a couple months we're super chill
>>
>>18138871
If he's old enough to be in medschool, he should be somewhat mature.

Bring it up with him seriously. Ask him if this is how he treats his own brother; If he's big enough to not pick on kids.

I can tease my brother, but I'd never tell him he can't achieve something. When he thinks he's dumb I tell him why I think he's smart. I always encourage him and even though he has some diagnoses I've always dismissed them as not true. And I tell him that.

That's how your brother should treat you aswell. If not, he's not a brother.
>>
Maybe he's going through a rough patch and feels insecure himself so he's taking it out on you because you might make him jealous in some way. I wouldn't cut him off completely. Ignore him for a few weeks and try re establish contact again, if he persists with the bullshit then go longer without contact, and if he is still a cunt, tell him that he's become a cunt and you no longer wish to speak to him.

Also, ask him if there's anything that's getting to him which is why he's treating you like shit. He won't answer honestly, but the way he answers will help you figure out your own conclusion.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.