[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quitting my job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (147KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147KB, 1600x1200px
I'm two months into my new job. I can't stand it. I don't think it's something they can fix. This is a career type gig, so not like I'm walking out on a pizza place or something because I'm lazy.

I feel very bad because it's a small team, and I like the people I work with on a personal level (I worked with them for two years before), but I hate the responsibilities and their lack of organization.

Anyways, who should I give the news about me leaving to? My direct boss, or the CEO, who heavily recruited me, and is going to be most impacted by me quitting two months in?

I need to be as firm as possible with these people because they're going to put me through the ringer to beg me to stay.
>>
Definitely break news to your CEO first. That way it's official and he won't hear it from your managers. Tell him exactly what bugs you and if there could be any improvements made. If you care about the job that much see if you can change your responsibilities slightly so it will suit you and everyone else. If you really feel the need to leave, be sure to have a backup plan, because quitting a career with no backup plan is the worst thing and can set you back a few years by having to climb corporate ladders all over again.
>>
If you say there's no organization and they SOMEHOW convince you to stay prepare yourself to make some suggestions on changes. Even if they ask you what can be done about that you should have answers ready to help them in the future.
>>
>>18137537
Can you stick it out for longer? Lack of organisation can be fixed with communication, but if you can't handle the responsibilities of this job then how do you expect to survive another job. What's your back-up plan, do you have enough saved up to risk quitting your job and searching for another?
If you really want to quit just give your 2-weeks notice to your boss and say you received a better job opportunity or something.
>>
>>18137544

There's nothing they can do to change it. They lied to me about what they needed me to do when I was getting hired. They made it sound like they were bringing me on to be the head of a new department that handled what my area of expertise was, but instead fired most of their existing team and gave me responsibilities I wasn't prepared for. Worst thing is, I turned down a job that would have been a much better fit.

I don't have a full backup plan, but I was heavily recruited by multiple companies when I left my last job. I don't think it will take long for me to reopen those connections - and if I leave this job quickly, I can more easily tell the tale of how it was clear this was not a fit for my career.
>>
>>18137552

I'm worried that sticking it out for longer is actually going to look WORSE on my resume (and keep me out of my specialty) than deciding it's not the right fit and quickly moving on.

I have enough money to eke it out for about 6 months. There's a job posting that went up yesterday in the company I really want to work with, that I have a fantastic relationship with, so I think I'd be a quick fit for the job.

Another part of the reason I want to quickly put in my notice is so that the projects I'm going to be assigned Monday won't be assigned to me, and then just have me back out so someone has to basically start all over.

I've been in the workforce for 12 years - I can identify when things are bad, compared to when it's just a matter of being lazy and irresponsible.
>>
>>18137553
Sounds like you got drafted into a bogus deal. You are right for wanting to leave. I'd say check with those previous connections and go for it. Worst thing they can do is fire you, but if you were leaving anyway you are doing it early which is always better. It also looks better to any recruiting company if YOU do the leaving. You don't need to give any explanation other than the truth. It was a disorganised mess. Not fixable. You left.
>>
>>18137553
In that case OP honesty is the best policy. Just give in your letter of resignation and say truthfully how you feel- that you're not a good fit for the role provided, even if they beg you to stay just apologise and move onto another job. It's better off this way in the long run.
Most importantly, learn from your mistakes. Next time ask extensive questions to ensure you know what's expected of your job and what kind of work team you'll be with. If it seems shady leave asap.
>>
>>18137571

Thanks. I also think they weren't aware about what my level of experience was in their vertical, because they got so blinded by my title and reputation, and made an assumption because I passively worked with them for two years.

I didn't even have to fill out an application. My "interviews" were basically four phone calls with them begging me to take the job.
>>
OP again. I should also make it clear - I have already voiced my concerns to my boss and my "mentor," (who is some weird pseudo-boss I don't understand). They keep claiming it will get better and that I'll really start understanding how things work any time now, and are trying to take things off my plate, but it's not working.

I don't work in an office with them, so it's not like I can sit over someone's shoulder and ask them for tips - everything we do is just a series of confusing conference calls.

But I think they're aware that they have too much work on their plate to properly service the client if ANYONE leaves.

They also hired another girl at the same time as me, who is heavily considering quitting.
>>
>>18137582
Shit, I wish all my interviews went like that. I've been trying to get out of my job for a year and every interview I had was face to face with lots of questions from both myself and the employers. Every time I felt like I had nailed the interview it's, sorry you're overqualified, or sorry we changed the salary to lower so it best suits our needs and you're too expensive.
>>
>>18137594

Trust me, it's not really a good thing. I had five offers on my plate, three of which were really interesting (including this one). One wanted me to move to New York though, and wasn't going to be much of a commensurate raise, one was a great fit but low balled me financially, and then this one begged me to come on board with the promise of working from home, and the right sweet spot for pay.
>>
>>18137595
I do agree with you on the company lying to you part. It's too hard to find a right job fit nowadays. People they write one thing on a job ad, but then when you finally get there its not at all like the description. I make sure nowadays to ask about the daily duties straight away in the first telephone call. If there is anything that sounds slightly shifty like they can't answer certain questions without proper explanation I don't pursue the job any further. I hate it when potential employers hide shit for the sake of whatever their reasoning. One previous interview I got offered the job but they refused to talk salary only until the very end. Sat round the table with them 4 times. Then offered me a junior's salary which meant I had to take a $20000 a year pay cut. No thanks
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.