[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Corrupt company

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: greedy-man-illustration.jpg (91KB, 500x337px) Image search: [Google]
greedy-man-illustration.jpg
91KB, 500x337px
I am a welder at a super rich company that uses robots to make industrial materials.

I make better money than 90% of the 150+ employees that work there because I am certified and there's only a few welders. Most people do sheet metal work or assembly, which pays shit: around 10-12$

I work with a lot of hardworking people who are struggling to get by but remain positive. Most are age 30-50, a few 18-twenties.

I'm in my early twenties. I feel super grateful to have my job and pay, especially for a first full time gig.

The thing is the company can afford to pay the employees way more than they're getting. We had a meeting last week where the President and executives arranged all of us on 1st shift and told us that they might make 10$ million this month and they want us to work harder and do more overtime. It was a slap in the face. These people are struggling to pay their bills and you're telling them you're going to make 10$ million dollars this month? Raises go out once a year, everyone tells me they never got more than a 50 cent raise....even the 10+ year vets.

At the meeting the president and executives were smiling and joking around trying to keep things light, but every single employee was upset. We didn't get paid when the shop closed one day this week and people were asking if the 10 million will affect their raises. They just responded with "well we're giving you time and a half overtime we think that's enough."

I feel like I should get people riled up and force the company to pay them more. Seeing the President smile and laugh telling us to bust our ass so they can get their 10 million was disgusting. Since the meeting, everybody has been working LESS hard. I don't blame them.

What would you do in this situation?
>>
>>18136732
This is why unions are a good thing. How dare worker's organize! Yea union's aren't perfect but neither is the alternative.

Good luck, my advice take your skills elsewhere and find a better job. That's how I get a +%20 raise every few years, but I'm in tech.
>>
You're not in a position to get upset on their behalf. I'd be annoyed if someone making twice as much as me tried talking about how sorry he was about my paycheck.

Besides, you're probably not in a position to make demands from the execs anyway. It's a good idea to see what you can actually do with where you are in the company, but don't try to be the people's champion okay
>>
>>18136732
They need to find other jobs. Just because the company can afford to pay more doesn't mean they need/have to. They're not doing anything illegal.

This doesn't qualify as "corrupt" either, just assholes. Stop throwing that word around.
>>
>>18136750

This.

My company legit was/is corrupt. Like deliberately targeting people who seem like easy targets to put under undue stress and force them to quit in order to save money corrupt.

Things that'll cause lawsuits if proven corrupt.
Ditching H&S, unfair dismissals, blackmail, gaslighting, etc.

Whereas a business legitimately making a profit is not corruption. In fact, this is a secret, so don't tell anyone but; it's the entire point of a business to make profit.
Shhh, keep that between us.

BY the way, my company gives us raises every year. Pretty good ones too.
Shit, the employees pretty much get to vote on it. I tell them all to say against it, because that money has to come from somewhere and it'll lead to an even more stressful and shitty work life, but they never listen.

Luckily I pretty much have whistle-blower immunity, so I won't deal with their dumbass decisions, they will.
>>
>>18136732
It sounds like your employers are insensitive and greedy, but not corrupt. If you're not unionized, and most of those workers are replaceable, a strike could just get everyone fired.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do anything, I'm just saying you should read your contract carefully and maybe ask a lawyer for advice before you start "getting people riled up." You need leverage to make a move like this, and from the sound of it, you don't really have it.
>>
>The thing is the company can afford to pay the employees way more than they're getting. We had a meeting last week where the President and executives arranged all of us on 1st shift and told us that they might make 10$ million this month and they want us to work harder and do more overtime.

What makes you think operating costs are letting them pay people more? Most businesses are run lean. Have you seen the financial books for your employer, or do you just think they're a bunch of greedy assholes because it sounds better in your head?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.