[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is masculinity really? And what is the point.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1480536811075.jpg (120KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1480536811075.jpg
120KB, 600x600px
What is masculinity really? And what is the point.
>>
>>18135732

for a lot of people, masculinity is simply a tool used to control other people.

look at what people are doing when they talk about what a 'real man' would do. its generally only brought up when trying to tell someone they're in the wrong for something, to shame them for a behavior that person considers wrong. These days its mostly used by women to shame men who disagree with them on certain issues, usually pertaining to dating.

'real men dont play childrens video games' when they want their boyfriend to quit.

until recently it was more used by people in places of power. real men go to war, for example. throughout history masculinity has just changed to fit the needs of who ever was trying to manipulate the masses.

google 'signs you're boyfriend isn't a man' and read the results. first one i found
>he'd rather go on a vacation with the boys

this is some really basic bitch level manipulation saying
>wow if you'd rather spend time with your friends than with me, that means you're not a REAL MAN!
>if you aren't going to pay for my vacation then you're not a REAL MAN!

basically women use this to control men these days, and it used to be used for men to control each other.

beyond that, there have always been personal journeys for masculinity. its not requiredb ut a lot of men take comfort in it.

one thing that has been common across all cultures and all times is that a real man doesn't submit to others. so even if someone says 'WELL A REAL MAN WOULDN'T DO x OR DO y' the one thing thats universally agreed upon is that a real man wouldn't cave into that pressure and woudl still stand by his own beliefs.

discovering your masculinity can be a fun journey in this day and age, so long as you dont let others keep score for you.
>>
>>18135732
It's a social construct. Doesn't actually mean anything.
>>
>>18135732

"Masculinity" is as much of a thing as you and those around you make of it. Don't worry to much about it. You do you, and try to enjoy yourself.
>>
A spook.
>>
masculinity aint shit u can be buff af and still act like a faggot just do u
>>
Masculinity is doing whatever the fuck you want. Say whatever the fuck you want to say without being afraid of nonsensical social rules and having a spine in general. Being true to whatever it is that you actually are.
>>
>>18135732
There have been posted like four variants of this same thread. Just a heads up.
>>
>>18135732
Masculinity is total confidence mixed with compassionate understanding and an iron will. It is a man who strives for perfection and is unmoved by those who seek to make him stray from his path. He has studied diligently and knows with certainty his path which he moves forward on not allowing obstacles to stop him.

The point is your strive for something greater. If you don't have that drive, then you haven't found your purpose. It's not always easy but it is always worth it.
>>
File: IMG_1490.jpg (32KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1490.jpg
32KB, 1440x1080px
>>18135732
It's a ploy made by a certain group of individuals
>>
>>18135732
How about l tell you what it isn't. When women say "real men don't X" they're definitely wrong.
>>
>>18135732
For me, it's being your own person and not letting others or society as a whole determine who you are. Basically, a man does what he wishes and a boy does what he's told to.
>>
>>18135765
Very well redpill'd, m'lord! xD
*tips fedora*
>>
>>18135732
Behavioural consequences of having testosterone pumped into your veins and all the social constructs derived from it.
>>
>>18135765
Jesus man your spot on, it bugs the shit out of me when chicks use that on me as if they have even half a clue what it's like to be a man, "if you don't behave and do exactly what I want your not a real big man tee hee"
>>
>>18136183
>When women say "real men don't X" they're definitely wrong.
When anyone says that they're wrong.
>>
File: 1443314248150.gif (767KB, 298x298px) Image search: [Google]
1443314248150.gif
767KB, 298x298px
>>18135765

>what happens when you ask a sexually frustrated 16 year old what masculinity is
>>
>>18135732
Well I think about two big points that I feel are differen. Men
-are more aggressive in certain ways and more laid back in others. Aggressive in a sense of competition, confrontation and reaching goals. More laid back in a sense that they often simply don't care about stuff. Like that they don't pick apart behaviour and words in a way that women do and don't try to correct it in a sense that women do.
-are more playful. I think we love games and love to make games out of stuff
>>
>>18135732
Masculinity just means inhabiting masculine traits. It's not inherently a good or bad thing.

"Being a man" is often used to describe doing something that you know is right regardless of what you really want to, often "being masculine" but for a purpose.

It might mean going out of your way to tell people off when they're out of line or taking the brunt of something when you know other people can't handle it as well.

It's ultimately irrelevant though. Just make good decisions. People that use "masculinity" as the delimiter for whether or not they should do something are insecure losers that have a child's interpretation of what it means to be mature.
>>
>>18135732
its the opposite of feminine. There's an up, there's a down. There's a north, there's a south.
>>
Masculinity is a trait or characteristic that someone can have. You see masculinity every day, but it is such a deeply engrained concept that you won't always realize it.

Some of the defining qualities of masculinity are courage, assertiveness, ruggedness, independence, and willingness to undertake responsibility. (That being said, characteristics of masculinity defer, culturally.)

One would want to cultivate the virtues of masculinity for their inherent benifits. Masculinity isn't the goal, but the byproduct.

Masculinity was derived from "manliness", but it is also a trait that can be observed in women, and not always to a negative end. Likewise, masculinity can be overdone to the point of "machismo" which attributes itself to wrecklessness, and a disregard of responsibility or consequence.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.