[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't make friends at university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: images (1).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
Third year (out of fourth) in uni, still no friends or even acquaintances.

I have tried to talk to my classmates casually, or ask to join in studying with them, and have been meet with rejection and cold responses virtually every time. Even my group project members only want to talk about work and nothing else. I sit by myself in almost every lecture. Everyone made friends on the very first day, it seems...

I've done everything else I could think of- join societies, participate in activities (charity fundraising, gaming nights, mentoring for younger students) and while they may look good on my CV, none of the students reciprocated any interest- when I try to greet and talk to them outside events, like in libraries or in SU common rooms, or message them on FB, they completely ignore me.

Obviously, marks and internships are more important than friends- but it would be nice to have someone to talk to and share experiences with.

What can I do to improve my social skills?

Tl;dr need someone to have conversations with at uni other than my mother.
>>
>>18134901
So when you are in a class and look around, there is nobody alone? Are you telling me you are the only lonely kid there?

I cant help you :-(
>>
Bump, in a similar situation.
>>
>>18134901
It's not about social skills, seems like you're doing things mostly right, approaching people, etc...

It's about personal charisma/basic likability, and you don't have it. Your classmates just don't like you.
>>
>>18134933
They all have their own "friend groups" .
>>18134944
Damn. I feel like a likeable enough guy. Certainly not hostile or anything like that.
>>
>>18134944
Not op, but how does someone become more charismatic
>>
>>18134901
people go to school to learn not socialize.
join a social club. find people with similar interests not random strangers who couldn't care less about you.
>>
>>18135454
You didn't read my post...
>>
>>18134986

Emulate popular people. Don't try to copy them identically but look at their body language etc. and transpose into your own actions.

t. former loner at Uni
WIsh i'd fucking learnt this before I went there for 4 years
>>
>>18135689
yeah i did. your trying to make friends at uni. people are not there to make friends specifically and they probably already have them so they are not trying to make friends tangentially either.

im saying that you are barking up the wrong tree. do not expect that everywhere you go in life you will find friendship. friendship should be based upon more than "we were at the same place once so we because best buds".
>>
>>18135716
Fuck me for wanting people to talk to, amirite? Truly a disgusting fetish. How can I Iive with myself?

Though those slovenly losers who barely pass every module but get plenty of attention deserve it, of course.

Christ, you sound exactly like my normie big brother. "Dooood lol, friends and social interaction in general are meaningless social constructs" as he says, being the most popular person and still graduating with a first-class degree.
>>
>>18135778
>Dooood lol, friends and social interaction in general are meaningless social constructs
not sure what post you read but you didn't get any of that from mine.

if you want friends than go make them. go sign up for a tourney, darts, frolf, golf, math league, debate, SOMETHING THAT INTERESTS YOU.

let me expand upon my already elaborated argument:
good friends have things in common. you are trying to make friends from a pool of totally random people. the odds of you and average-joe who is sitting next to you in english-101 having something in common are pretty nill,
lesser still are the odds that in the 30 to 60 minutes you spend together per day will be enough for you two to develop a meaningful connection.

do you get it?
go to a social gathering which has a niche, where you already know the people there share common interests with you.

the fact that you call others "normie" pretty much guarantees you will not make friends with your peers at uni, they are all "normie". get it?
go be with your own kind;
if your a nerd join a nerd club, if your a jock join a jock club, if your an ass join a political club, etc.
>>
>>18134901
I can't help you, I'm on the same.

I'd talk to you if you lived where I live though
>>
Can you post a pic? People judge others frequently by looks
>>
>>18134901
I was in the same situation as an undergrad. I couldn't have a conversation about ANYTHING with my "fellow students". No one would even greet me, and I got extremely tired of constantly having to initiate discussions that lead to nowhere.

As a Ph.D. student I got some friends from professors, seniors and other Ph.D. students. These people seem to have the same interests, mentality and sense of humor as I do.
>>
>>18135832
I'm also in the same position as OP, same year too.
>>
>>18135864
This.

Undergrad is basically highschool 2.0. I didn't meet any real friends until med school.
>>
>>18134901
>Everyone made friends on the very first day, it seems...
They might not be great friends, though. I had a big group of friends freshman year and lost them all because I tried to make them let my mildly autistic roommate hang out with us.
>tfw immediately after i was gone they decided they hated each other
>>
>>18134901
>become attractive
>be loud so people notice you're attractive
>actually be likeable to the few people that you annoy by being loud so they change their minds about being annoyed
Unless you're a cave troll tier rock face all you have to do to be attractive is get fit. so get to it you fucking loser.
>>
>>18134901
Have you given a bad first impression to people?

I've had similar problems because people think I look hostile and intimidating. I'm a tall guy, and I have slightly dark circles around my eyes and my eyebrows look naturally "angry". It took some time and effort to make a couple of good friends. But many people won't change their opinions.
>>
you don't get friendly til you're in small 4-5 person classes in grad school
>>
>>18134901
I had the same problem as you

The only thing that's worked for me was joining an organization/society related to my major. Friendships are very likely to form when someone has constant exposure to you. So kids in these clubs will probably be in all your classes, and then seeing you at all club events.

I know you said you already join clubs, but are you an active member in them?

Also, it's pretty hard in my opinion to make friends (actual, not just acquaintances) in class until the upper level classes where there's like only 20 kids in a classroom.
>>
>>18135791
OP, listen to this anon.
>>
You say you're a nice enough dude and you've tried fitting in but it's not working. So chances are most of the people you've come across just aren't for you

I'd say 90% of the time you either click with someone or you don't. No doubt you've had friends before and you have had successful social interactions. So the problem isn't just that you're socially retarded. There's no secret here and there's no way to convince people to be your friend if you don't have fun with each other.

I mean, how many times have you gone, "Oh, I have so much fun with these people, but they just don't want to hang out with me!" Doesn't happen in my experience. It's usually, "Hanging out with these people seems like a lot of fucking effort and it's really awkward. How can I magically become someone that will have fun with them?"

And I'm going to level with you. You've not made any friends in 3 years and you're on 4chan. You're an outsider and you probably don't fit in with the majority of people.

Just go find a nerdy chick and fuck her brains out. Friends will happen or they won't depending on what you do life not how much pointless advice you consume about becoming "charismatic".
>>
>Oh, I have so much fun with these people, but they just don't want to hang out with me!

This. I never get invited. I once got into a company which consisted primarily of mathematicians, we got pretty along and had a common ground, yet I am never invited. They do greet me in college and they do that first, even enthusiastically.
>>
A lot of people are in the same boat as you and are just somewhat unlike-able.
My suggestion to you is to continue to try. Eventually you will find someone who is interested in listening to what you have to say.

I had lunch yesterday with a girl who was homeschooled and very in to writing fantasy/based fiction and farming. I listened to her talk for nearly two hours because it was very interesting. She mentioned that she had been in a similar situation to you and that no one had ever wanted to be around her that long before.

I'm personally someone with a lot of patience and I love listening to unique people, even though they often don't abide by social "norms". Maybe you just need to Meet some people like that?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.