[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i become persistent and unphased?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

so i just failed a design project
my entire class did
except my friend whos the teachers pet
im kind of jealous to be honest.
but thats besides the point
im dry. i have no motivation or drive to try again.
this is more of a thing that happens generally in my life.
how do i not get phased by things that happen around me and just be persistent with my attempts, not comparing myself to others?
>>
>>18130528
Get Good, you won't have to deal with the disappointment of failure if you never fail.
>>
>>18130560
i know but to get good you need to fail no one is great straight out the gate
i just dont have enough determination to keep trying.
>>
>>18130574
Nobody has ever done anything great without failing hundreds of times before that, losing your battles are sometimes more important than winning them -- because they'll help you develop an unbeatable strategy.
>>
>>18130587
is that a julius ceasar quote?
its a pretty good one desu
>>
You're learning a valuable lesson in art and design now, anon

> customer is king
> customer doesn't know what he wants or what's good for him over half the time
> design often needs do-overs or major tweaks

The trick is to make a plan with your customer in mind. What does he need, what -should- he want? You're not going to allow him a house which has crooked floors (as an architect), nor will you sign anything with your name under it when your customer wants comic sans (as a graphic or webdesigner). During your assignment you'll need to show your progress, so tweak your proposals. Make 2 which suck, 1 which rocks. Sell it. Keep giving your customer the idea they're influencing your ideas, while really you're influencing theirs (as you should, as the creator/professional). Design is more about social engineering than anything else.

Punchline; your teacher is in this case, also the customer. Fun fact; teachers usually are biased about certain styles and/or aren't objective like they should. Play to this knowledge and learn. Learn not how to make things you think are fab in school, but how to please your clients. Because a) when sometimes in your life you might get real customers, you can make some fab shit and b) pleasing customers rakes in the cash.

If you're actually studying to become a designer, make sure to work in your portfolio outside school assignments.
>>
>>18130606
I probably paraphrased one; mostly just pulled that one out of my ass though.
>>
>>18130613
thanks for the advice man
i have experience in freelance art
i know customer is king
but what if the king knows what he wants
and doesnt tell you?
i learned a valuable lesson today.
i need to try the fuck again and this time better.

thanks for the really eye opening advice by the way
>>
>except my friend whos the teachers pet

Sounds like this is entirely the teacher's fault; if they're not blisteringly incompetent then they are probably biased beyond all point of worthiness for their profession. I'm not saying you necessarily did a good job, but if education were entirely the student's duty then why are teachers paid at all?

>>18130560
Only time I ever failed in college was when the instructor did not show up (online course, shut students out of the final, instructor and his own supervisor were derelicts.) This taught me to have a plan of action against every person I meet.
>>
>>18130624

Np man, had a great teacher (who wasn't in fact a failed designer, like most teachers in this area are) who told it to us straight. I don't work in design anymore but I still notice it in my work as a photographer; everyone has an opinion about visual design or art. That makes it harder to be "the pro" in the field; everyone somewhere deep down thinks they can have it done cheaper (because "how hard can it be") or even do it better themselves. With the right tactics you can please them - and yourself - better in one go. It's a hard lesson to learn though, some people can't manage to exploit their talents commercially, and remain "artists" rather than actively working in the field.

Don't worry too much about your teachers though; as I mentioned some are unobjective, some are ridiculously unskilled (and thus start teaching because they can't get assignments or lamd a good job) and some even put you down because they're jealous of your talent. I learned eventually to pick the teachers I could learn most from (opinions about these peeps usually differed per student) and quickly decided that school is school, very important for your development, but the results of your assignments will fade quickly as you progress so fast. No need to have too much artistic pride in those, rather do projects that totally fit your style on the side for fun or for your portfolio.
>>
what kind of design project?
>>
>>18130657
had to design a packaging for a water bottle called literally water water.
even posted on gd about it
>>
>>18130668
cool that thread just got raided lol
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.