[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wage slavery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: wage-slave.gif (5KB, 250x162px) Image search: [Google]
wage-slave.gif
5KB, 250x162px
Convince me not to leave my £8-an-hour-moving-boxes job.

I just saw people from head office leave my store, typical young yuppie looking types with expensive suits and haircuts, who don't look they've had to work a day in their lives. They came for 2 hours, had a laugh and then fucked off.

Meanwhile I've learnt that they've cut overtime again cos there's no budget for overtime but still expect us to work twice as hard to make up for that fact.

What the fuck is this? The way I figure is that I have at least 2 months salary saved to go on a job search. Is this advisable?
>>
Are you imagining anywhere else is going to be different? Because it mostly isn't.
>>
>>18130288
Definitely, why would you want to work in an environment that treats you like shit? Like >>18130297
says it's going to be similar in most places, but just because something is difficult is no reason to give up on it. Follow your tendency to liberation and self realization. Otherwise you'll end up either wanting to kill yourself, addicted to something to make the pain go away, or totally enlightened.

Consider, how hard is your job? Does it cause long term problems to your health? How does it fit into your other goals in life? Can you work to change the conditions of your employment, perhaps through unionizing or disruptively performing your job?

I'm writing from personal experience by the way. I saved up a ton of money working before I realized that my job was mentally killing me and left shortly thereafter.
>>
>>18130288
>Convince me not to leave my £8-an-hour-moving-boxes job.
You should fuck that off sharpish mate. You're right about the nonces in suits, they wouldn't know a good days graft if it bit them on the ass, but you can be certain they're not pitching up for £64 a day like you are.

If you want to make decent money I'd say go and work for an independant tradesman. In a company of a thousand blokes, all the money goes to the top five men. If the entire company consists of two blokes in a transit the distribution is a lot more even. As an example, I'm a carpet cleaner (I do all types of flooring, upholstery, blinds and curtains, but it just says "Anon's carpet cleaning" on the side of my van). Today, I did three sofas and a chair on the first job, a hall stairs and landing on the second, and two staircases, four rooms and six rugs on the last. Todays takings came to £530+VAT, of which my young lad (who does nothing cleverer than fetch, carry, and drive my van sometimes) gets £150 same as every other day he works and the rest is mine. We started at 8:30, and I dropped him at his flat at about 2:45 when we finished. You won't get that working for a company where the directors drive bentley's.
>>
>>18130325
>Does it cause long term problems to your health?

I know it's causing aches and pains to my joints.

>Can you work to change the conditions of your employment, perhaps through unionizing or disruptively performing your job?

We have a union but they are absolutely fucking useless.

>>18130297
Well, I have a 2.2 degree in Maths (that's from 2011 and I can't remember shit from it) and I was hoping to get into something better.

But it seems that these city type careers seem to be only for the well-connected, outgoing types. Hell, most of them somehow are beautiful people.
>>
>>18130337
Sounds like a dead end. Is there anything can be done about the union?

If you have a degree, use it, either as a qualification for a different job or as a qualification to more education. Don't worry about remembering things from the degree.

What sort of job would you rather have? Maybe you can go on benefits while you gain a qualification or begin an apprenticeship?

The phenomenon of people being paid more to do less is characteristic of the whole organization of society unfortunately, for now you can only look to minimizing it.
>>
>>18130365
>Is there anything can be done about the union?
I doubt it, I think it's like the only recognised union for this place.

>What sort of job would you rather have?
Something to do with numbers or computing, I've had a glance at underwriting.

(I want to say something about gentrification but that's a different thread)
>>
>>18130288
ccording to Hinduism one of the 4 meanings of human life are getting wealth, the other 3 are
pleasure
morality
and realization that this is all like a dream (God-realization through "self-enquiry")

Those yuppies are enjoying their lives pastimes and pleasures, you're just trying to survive.

Go to trade school, you'd get paid a lot more that's what my friend did to quit a job packing cargo on boats now he makes enough to feed a big family
>>
>>18130480
>Go to trade school, you'd get paid a lot more that's what my friend did to quit a job packing cargo on boats now he makes enough to feed a big family

I'm nearly 28, how long would it take?
The degree I took would be a waste if I took this route wouldn't it?
>>
>>18130288
So I'm coming towards the end of my shift. So is the consensus to fuck off from work?
>>
>>18130536
I'm in US, here we get paid in an apprenticeship already more than min. wage but it takes 2 years, then 5 years to be a master and pay keeps going up. Your degree is probably worthless... They warn about too many people going to college, not enough trades.
>>
>>18130639
It's from a red brick uni though, that has to count for something.
>>
>>18130400
Programming courses are available for free online. freecodingcamp dot com or something like that.

I would bet that there is a month or two month long course that would qualify you for something like that. Find it, -then- quit your job.

With a maths background you might look into data analysis.
>>
>>18130911
>data analysis

Good salary progression?

Do you need an outgoing personality?
>>
You ever considered applying for a graduate position? Some accept a 2.2; I know the civil service fast stream scheme accepts all types of degrees with a 2.2. Who gives a shit if you graduated a while ago.

Other than that, why not try doing an internship or something? Because mate, what was the point of doing a degree if all you're gonna do with your life is move boxes?
>>
>>18130691
Did it get you a job out of school? No? Then it probably counts for shit
>>
File: 1488458513294.jpg (9KB, 213x250px) Image search: [Google]
1488458513294.jpg
9KB, 213x250px
Keep working but use every available moment to better yourself. Get a skill.
>>
>>18130992
>Do you need an outgoing personality

Lol no. I work as a software developer, we're all fucking social weirdos but it's good laughs.
>>
>>18131003
Some people are still impressed at the uni I came from but I guess you're right.
>>
>>18131013
I feel like I'm getting dumber every moment I spend there and it drains my energy to the point where even on weekends I don't feel like getting up.
>>
Babyboomers robbed the american dream, bro :/
>>
>>18131427
>american dream

Not sure if that was available in the UK.
>>
>>18130288
Job search while you have a job. Lmao
>>
I quit a similar job and even though I was unemployed for a long while after I didn't regret it. I really didn't lose anything. I didn't save up enough at the job anyway so being on benefits wasn't financially much different.

Sometimes it seems like your only option is to work these monkey jobs but it's really not true. You already have hundreds of better options and in a few months you could be training to do something significantly less shit.

Though I wouldn't do anything rash like walking out of your job on the day. It really doesn't gain you anything. Just give them the proper notice and start getting your shit sorted for when you're gone.
>>
>>18132005
Thisssss

OP don't quit unless you have something sorted out. It's easier to get a job when you're already employed, also being unemployed is horrible for your emotional health, the job centre might push you into a job you hate more and if you have any savings tucked away there's a chance you might get minimum benefits (and lose those savings over time).

Also, looks can be deceiving. I have two degrees and work what looks like a cushy job as receptionist at a big company so everyone thinks I'm living the life. But I make less than you (£7.20) and I'm just as deeply unhappy as your average wage slave (although I don't have to break my back with physical work, I just kiss ass). Until I can complete some kind of training and volunteer enough to make myself attractive for some other job (I'm still thinking about what that could even be) this is my shitty life. Unfortunately a lot of these things are about luck, privilege and who you know.
>>
>>18132029

>It's easier to get a job when you're already employed

I think this is a bit of myth unless you are moving along in the same industry and you're in no rush to find a new job. If you hate you're job and it saps all of your mental and physical energy, then the last thing you want to do when you get home is spend two hours applying for a job.

OP needs to go in an entirely new direction in his life and it sounds like he needs a kick up the arse. He'd already be applying for other jobs if he was comfortable doing that.

The Job Centre really isn't that bad and they'll only 'force' you into a job if you are unemployed for like 3 months. Before that time you have option of becoming self-employed (with the NEA scheme), doing temp work, joining a training scheme, or finding some part-time work. You are still entitled to housing benefits if you need them and being unemployed isn't much worse than doing a shit job.
>>
>>18132043
Valid points, however some jobcentres really are better than others. It's a postcode lottery and you're lucky if you've not had to experience this. If you end up in a 'bad' one, you might genuinely be sanctioned for refusing to take a shit 0 hour job on the basis that you aren't serious about finding a job if you don't.
Also, if in the end it takes you a while to find a new job, you end up with a gap of time on your CV which doesn't look so good and can be a nightmare when applying for jobs using the pedantic forms which demands every day be accounted for.
>>
Kind of a mixed response here.

I understand the advantage of keeping my job while searching but it is really killing my spirit and I'm not the most cheerful person either.
>>
Figure I'll post here rather than starting a new thread; I'll reply to OP first as a courtesy - it reads strongly to me that you've already made your mind up to look for something else. What I would say is that if you've a couple of months living costs saved then, if the work is making you so miserabel you'd rather leave and give yourself more free time for yourself and job hunting, an option could be to leave, spend a month looking for something more up your alley and if there's nothing taking your fancy/you aren't getting responses, worst case scenario is that you look for other manual work that maybe pays a bit better elsewhere. Depends where you are and how far you're willing to travel etc. but it's better than nothing.

Anyway, will do this as a two-parter:
>>
>>18133347

My situation is somewhat different:

>have an HND in accounting, pretty useless for even trainee accounting jobs which, while available elsewhere in the UK, all look for 12+ months practice experience or a degree in my region
>working as a data entry clerk part time during my hnd
>finished my course
>i absolutely hammer all the targets they set, never late, don't cause drama, don't take the piss with sick days etc.
>team leaders like me, i like all three of them
>job is a bit dull but you get to listen to music/radio while processing applications all shift if you want, sometimes chat a bit with team leaders
>shit wage rate of 7.50 pounds an hour, temp contract through agency so shit pension, no SSP, weekly pay, barely any job protection, long term temp but not permanent work, probably got 1-2 years max left before my job role ist kaput
>recently made full time on the rota to replace someone else as all team leaders recommended me I think
>saving as much money as I can while I have these hours, but got disheartened from fuck all responses to job hunt up to february
>basically just buying time while I think about what to do

I mean I have it better than some and a part of me holds out hope I can progress somehow in my current role (one of my team leaders did the exact same job as me 3 years ago, then went to administrator permanent with the company, then went up to TL and she thinks I should go for team leader roles elsewhere) but I dunno what I should go for.. Payroll seems like an accountancy related field I'd enjoy to make a bit of use of my HND purely because I liked the units, but I don't know if I should a) stay and do my full time temp job for as long as I can, save as much as I can then worry when its gone/if I don't progress about what to do, maybe move elsewhere for work if needed or b) actively hunt right now for something else, quit the comfy temp job if I get something and risk hating a new job with no option to go back to comfy job
>>
>>18130329
Mate, I'll take 75 quid a day to fetch carry and drive all the shit you want if you only work until 3
>>
keep the job until you find another.
looking for a job while being unemployed makes you more likely to end up in another shit job.
>>
>>18130691
You went to a red brick but got a 2.2

The 2.2 is the part that really matters. A maths grad from some shit hole bottom rank uni can probably land a math related job if they got a first

Also you may not be able to get trade apprenticeships very easily because you're kind of over qualified with a degree. But it's not impossible, you can definitely still get an apprenticeship just it will be harder to win a place over the 16 year olds that failed their GCSEs because the majority of lads who fuck up their GCSE s go straight into apprenticeships.
>>
>>18133668
>underqualified for a career
>overqualified for an apprenticeship

God, why didn't I just bury my head in my studies when I had the chance?

You know someone barely escaped having their head chopped off at work in an accident a while back. I don't if it was the worker's fault but the company was covered so he didn't get shit.
>>
>>18134144
*don't know if
>>
>>18134144
Don't stress, alls not lost until you've exhausted every possible option

And since there's thousands of trade companies in the UK, I cN guarantee you'll land a job with one before you ask all of them. And if you do manage to ask all of them, that's some serious perseverance that will get you a job on its own :)

Start phoning and emailing every interesting company for apprenticeship or job opportunities. Don't give up!
>>
>>18134161
>Don't stress
Kek, I have grey hairs due to stress. I'm 27.
>>
>>18134377
I'm 19 and have a couple dozen grey hairs myself. I guess, you might stress since its an involuntary response, but don't lose heart or think it's all lost. Staying optimistic keeps sanity, giving up Is complete hell, I know because I gave up for 2 years and I lost every friend, my chances at uni, and all passion for life and now I'm trying to scrape my way back to normal life

But even then I know I've got more than enough options to keep trying until I die of old age. Apprenticeships, military, even the old start from the bottom and work your way up like Richard Branson, market trading, etc. There's lots of ways to make a living that don't need uni.

I know about apprenticeships and eligibility because I didn't get one I spent 2 months preparing for.

Anyway there's 2 choices you have, either stay miserable at the job you have now or start looking for anything better

You know which one you need to do. Good luck man, I hope shit works out for you. I've had the displeasure of working for min wage doing menial shit with 50 pence overtime bonus and I know it sucks. And I didn't have to feed and shelter myself with the job.
>>
>>18134423
>19

Look I don't want to devalue your advice, but your situation is a little different from mine.
>>
>>18134468
I get that, I felt like you might say that actually when I wrote down my age. I hope I at least motivated you a little :)

I'm not completely clueless though, I tried to give you my best advice with the experience I have. I hope everything works out for you, wish I could have helped more.
>>
Work as a security guard, preferrably night shifts only. It's the most relaxing job ever. No heavy lifting, no number crunching, no deadlines. Just sit around, do the occasional patrol, call in when you have to etc.
>>
>>18133378
>£7.50

I knew my mate was lying. Son of a bitch was one of the last ones who didn't get anywhere after uni til he got that job and started to humble brag about it. No wonder he gets quiet when we run into an actually successful mate.
>>
>>18134865
To be fair, £7.50 ain't bad when the min is £7.20
Unless you live in London, I guess
>>
>>18130288

Is your problem money or is there something else bothering you in your life?
Also, do you hate the actual job or the conditions/coworkers?

These are serious questions your should ask yourself. I have a relatively easy job that's become a nightmare because of how poisoned my interpersonal relationships have developed at work (mostly due to my fault).
>>
>>18130288

what are your qualifications

Why would someone realistically want you for a task more complicated than moving boxes over anyone else.

These are serious questions you need to ask yourself. You are only worth what you can do for others.
>>
>>18130288
become a thief
the system failed you so why should you aid it
you could become an apprentice but you wont be able to survive with a reduced per hour wage with the modern price of living unless you have parents to live with which i guess you don't
you could study but same problem as above but even less access to money and with even less payoff
you could try to acquire a 'skill' what ever the fuck that means
but what ever small industry you're aiming for there are far more people who are more skilled than you willing to work for less and you'll never catch up to them

so be a parasite, the people you steal from benefit from the system so they can suffer for it
and don't fear prison
after growing up in poverty prison is pretty cushy and you don't have to worry about how to afford rent and food
>>
>>18135006
London
o
n
d
o
n
>>
>>18135257
Interesting philosophy except it only favours the thugs. I'm not really cut out for that.
>>
>>18130288
>The way I figure is that I have at least 2 months salary saved to go on a job search. Is this advisable?
what?
go get a job, don't quit your current job.

when you land another job tell them youll start in two weeks and put your two weeks notice in at current job.

you should always have some money in the bank and that should be enough.

never quit your job before you have another.

never be satisfied with your current job. i know too many people making shit for money because they think its "good enough".
>>
>>18135257
I've noticed all the hipsters pouring into London (former) sink estates always have this cheery disposition like they've never encountered hardships. So fucking carefree.
>>
File: br.gif (2MB, 275x188px) Image search: [Google]
br.gif
2MB, 275x188px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRHCp9Wblro&list=PLfjbRMLhNX7hzcrRWiF_zt_lQaSntlqw2&index=35
>>
>>
>>18130288
You don't leave a job before finding a new one.. Go on a job search now, while you're still working. When you get a better job - then quit your current one.

No matter where you go you'll still be a wage slave though. Automation is going to fuck us all. Why would those yuppie asswipes pay humans when they can just buy robotic arms and shit to do their dirty work for free? IE: Uber is openly wetting themselves over automated cars so that they can get rid of all their human drivers who are just doing their shit driving jobs to barely survive.

If we were really as smart as we think - we'd come together as some.. Wage Slave Union. Drag all the yuppies, and their children into the street - and murder them.
>>
>>18136221
I wonder if the ultimate goal for London is to completely push out the poor while leaving the culture intact, albeit a safe sanatised-for-hipsters version. The number of familiar high-rise flats in pop videos starring middle class artists has increased ten-fold.

I hear the super-rich are pushing the rich out of certain areas so now the shocktroopers of gentrification are slowly moving outwards from central London.
>>
>>18130288
Penultimate bump.
>>
>>18136150
But Lorne got killed by the biggest fag in the show...
>>
>>18136221
>If we were really as smart as we think - we'd come together as some.. Wage Slave Union. Drag all the yuppies, and their children into the street - and murder them.

I want to say that's an extreme overreaction but...
>>
>>18136150
Do you think the poor will ever rise up or are they too placated by the crap on tv and the shit put into their bodies?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.