[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1471762470123.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1471762470123.png
1MB, 1600x900px
About to graduate in June with a BS in Biochemistry. What do I do now?
>>
>>18128149
Shitpost on >>>/sci/
>>
Alright OP, background first. Biochemistry is a broad field that can lead to many paths, the largest being the medical sciences.

What lead you to bio in the first place?
>>
>>18128154

technically school related

i dont know if i should get a job or go to grad school

>>18128155

I really like science. I'm more of a chemist by trade. I've had less than 20 units of actual biochem courses.
>>
>>18128167
Sounds like a lot of what you're interested in will largely depend if you like something that's more practically inclined with direct, tangible results, or more research oriented work.

Either way, I strongly recommend just going to Indeed and putting in "With Strong Chemistry". Not only will that show you what is around you and is available, it can also give you a pretty big ballpark of just how many fields there are, that I won't be able to list.

Personally, I love forensic chemistry.
>>
>>18128149
Write us a comic book about the daily adventures of a bunch of biochemistry students
>>
>>18128186
thanks man

I've done undergrad research for about 1 year. Hopefully I'll be published by the end of the summer as a tertiary author.

I don't know how I should draft my CV. I've never done a job interview.
>>
>>18128209
Don't worry, I've got you. I've been working since I was 13, even while going through college, it's rough. Basically, think of how amazon sells a product. Now think of how amazon would make a listing for you.

At the top of the page, get your contact information. Then divide the following pages into sections. The first section should be a summary of why you are interested in the job and what you hope to accomplish there. When I mean summary, I mean a single paragraph. 4 sentences maximum. Don't bloat this and overshadow everything else. This summary is the thesis of your paper.

Next, put in either your work experience or your education, whichever looks more substantial. So, if you've never worked before or just done a retail job for a couple months, definitely put education first. You'll want to list where you got the degree. What the degree was in. Outstanding merits, like your undergrad research. I usually put this second myself as it is hard to make a mountain out of it, but that's because I've been working for so long. If you need to, list what skills the courses you took strengthened.

(cont)
>>
>>18128209
(cont)

Next, put in your work experience. It's a little bit easier to play with the wording on this, as it's easier to pin down what your exact activities were without sounding vague. For example, if you worked for security, you might say that gained a strong ability to defuse arguments, and thus have strong interpersonal skills. List the places you worked in reverse chronological order. Where you worked, how long you worked, what you did, what skills it gave you or enhanced.

After that, I recommend listing any kind of additional skills that would not fall under either of these categories. Like, say you're certified for CPR and first aid, or you randomly can drive a forklift. Ok, maybe not that last one because it doesn't apply much, but it should get the point across.

I recommend going online and looking up resume templates. You want something with a small amount of graphic design so that it visually splits up your categories, but not so much design that it's distracting from the content.
>>
>>18128209
Finally, interviews. Boy, this is going to be a big one. Let's get this out of the way, because alot of this is going to sound obvious, but the vast majority of it is execution. How you deliver to the interviewer is just as important as what you deliver.

Firstly, attire. If you have any tattoos, try to cover them. If there are any on your face, we just made this 5x harder. Your attire should reflect your attitude, and should match the job. If you REALLY want, there are some sites dedicated to just color analysis and the psychological impact it has. Bottom line though, dress nice. A suit if you have one, otherwise, white long sleeved shirt, black pants, belt, dress shoes, and a tie of your choice. Or dress if grill. I can't give much advice for grills because I've only worn three dresses. (don't ask)

(cont)
>>
>>18128272
Next, you want to drill yourself on the kind of questions they will have. Most of the time, their questions are not traps, so don't hang yourself up on trying to over-analyze what they ask. They will ask you about the usual things just to get to know your background a little bit. Work history, education, the works. That's not what we are worried about. We need to worry about when they start asking personal questions. "What are your strengths?" "what are your weaknesses" "What was a time you had to face adversity without help?" "What was a time you were not able to overcome adversity?" Get used to these questions, there's a lot like them.

I can boil this down to one sentence. Sell yourself. Anytime you would have a response that sounds negative to the layman, reword it to sound positive. Instead of saying you're an introvert and you spend all your time at home, say you are very sure of your capabilities and what your likes and dislikes are. You are very in touch with yourself. Bullshit like that. They eat it up.

If you need more help, just let me know.
>>
File: 1487648432805.jpg (321KB, 739x976px) Image search: [Google]
1487648432805.jpg
321KB, 739x976px
>>18128245
>>18128258
>>18128272
>>18128281
Damn dude. Thanks so much. I wish my parents taught this kind of stuff. I've already applied to a few Entry Level QA jobs on Indeed.

Really appreciate it man.
>>
>>18128290
No problem dude. I'll probably be hanging around /adv/ for a while, so if you ever need anything, feel free to come hang out. For future reference, call me Bane. It's an old nickname, and it still works I guess.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.