[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Academic 4channers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: look.jpg (5KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
look.jpg
5KB, 300x168px
Those that are gifted in academics, how do you think? Do you have any uniqueness you believe you have about yourself? What kind of of strategies/methods do you use in every day life?
>>
>>18123999

The only remotely unique thing about me is that i dont get blisters.

Thoughts, no matter how academically advanced you are, will never be unique and refreshing. Everyone has heard it all before
>>
>>18124004
Ill argue words are not unique, but thoughts definitely carry uniqueness about them.
>>
I think of everything in terms of logical structures and try to generalize patterns as much as possible

I try to avoid letting other people pollute my thinking
>>
>>18123999
I read a lot as a kid, and I feel that it really put me ahead of my peers. I only wish that I had kept on reading, instead of ditching the good habit halfway through middle school.
>>
>>18124018
>I think of everything in terms of logical structures and try to generalize patterns as much as possible
this.

if you can master this, you'll find it easy to "remember" huge amounts of information.
>>
>>18125440
I usually master a huge amount of bates
>>
>>18123999
>Shit I didn't study for a test
>Do line of coke before test
>I'm going to fucking ace this test and make it my bitch
>above 90% avg on tests
Works every time
>>
>>18125500
Seriously? That's fucking amazing? Do you find the subject interesting at least?
>>
>>18125512
Ye ofc the subjects are normally interesting
>>
Blep
>>
>>18125500
>do line before test
>20 minutes in it wears off
>hour of test left to do while coming down off coke
>>
>>18123999
Eh, I'm a forestry major but I love history. I've even researched and written a couple essays just for fun. It's just another hobby that I love dedicating time to.
>>
>>18125627
Reminds me of the time my ex did a line of coke before her GED test.
>spent all night partying
>she's freaking out about test
>friend is love 'hurr why not do a line of coke first durr'
>she thinks it's a great idea
>try to stop her bc it's a shit idea
>she does it anyways because she's dumb and a druggie hoe
>as soon as she snorts it friend who suggested it in the first place was like 'uhh anon was probably right ddurr'
>she goes to take the test
>fails
>come home and do more drugs and fuck

Miss that girl
>>
>>18125653
I mean, that's kinda her fault 2tbh

And trust me, it's just that drug itself that's a shitty choice for a test. Literally every campus should have ritalin or adderall, just amp yourself up on that OP.

if it's humanities or arts course, then take a pill an hour before and drink water -- keep focused and study a few facts that you might need for an essay

i personally found ritalin helped my vocabulary skills a lot -- i wasn't sitting there wondering, "gee i forget this one word or term but im sitting here for 5 minutes trying to think of the specific one" -- no none of that, it was instant recall which was nice
>>
>>18123999
Well let me tell you something Upside down Satan. I have determined by the United States to be "intellectually gifted." Aside from some areas of our brains being wired differently (mostly emotion though) we're pretty much the same. School is bullshit, achievement for the sake of pleasing others is bullshit, amd the fact that this group exists is bullshit.

I also just did the homework while in school and was consistently placed around top 10-20%. It's all meaningless OP. There will always be someone better than you.
>>
Do something that interests you and have enough self respect to research your opinions instead of basing them on basic emotional responses.
>>
>>18123999
Am gifted in academics.

I love learning shit and don't see it as being boring. I don't take notes and have good memory for facts.

To get better at that kind of shit, remember basic principles of how things work in a given field. Physics equations make so much fucking sense because they are built on basic principles. Same with computer science, chemistry, astronomy, et cetera.

When I am thinking about something, I first think about subjects and topics related. If it is a statistic for example, I immediately think about correlation/causation, standard deviations, etc. After I think of related information, I then metacognitize and try to poke holes in my opinion/stance on the subject. Am I using any fallacies? Is there another way to interpret this information? Am I using confirmation bias? etc
>>
>>18124497
>>18123999

I'm incredibly gifted, but it's wearing off. I'm regressing back to the mean and it's because I'm not reading as much. read read read when you have a kid make it read read read
>>
Im about to graduate engineering at university, I don't really consider myself that smart or anything, and there are definetly colleagues who are both smarter and dumber than me, but I will answer if you wish to accept it.

Firstly I like to have the attidude that I can learn anything. There is no reason I wouldn't be able to learn a certain concept if my friends can, stuff like that.

Another key feature I think I have, and would help anyone is being self aware. Recognize you are a lazy shit, and hit the books. You have to be able to recognize when you are good or bad at something.

Lastly I always have a heir of superiority that I keep to myself. I tell myself I am above average in every generic way. Whether its true or not doesn't really matter, I keep it to myself, but this really helps fuel my believe that I can learn everything.

Again, I don't think I'm particularly that smart, but these mindsets are the reason I managed to (hopefully) complete my degree in an excellent field.
>>
>>18125440
Except for minute details. For the most part you'll be a very good test taker and be considered "smart."

But not everyone learns like that. Some individuals can naturally make connections that others wouldn't have. It's a difference in learning style.
>>
>>18123999
I donĀ“t let myself to skip homework
>>
File: IMG_20170313_230213.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170313_230213.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
I do a lot.of crack
>>
>>18123999
I believe that uniqueness isn't defined by the major, but rather the subtle.

If you list off your interests and hobbies, there can be hundreds of people who match them.
No matter how high your IQ (if you're invested in an outdated method) there is somebody who matches the number.
Doesn't matter if you're the top percent in your field, that percent is shared with a certain select few.

But knowing that, I realize that my perception and thought process is unique. I think in different ways and come to different nonverbal understandings just as everybody else does. A table full of sorority girls or jocks from football sitting around a table may all seem to think and say the same thing, but each one of their minds has complicated processes that create unique patterns of thought and motivations.

I hope I made sense writing this out, it's just kinda what I like to think about in terms of uniqueness. I spent a lot of time thinking about individuality in terms of humans, and since I study neuroscience I figured that the subtle variations of the human brain create subtle variations of personality and thought process and individuality.

You don't have to be wildly varied in order to be unique, because you're already unique on the most biological scale. And that is how I cope lmao.
>>
>>18123999
I have OCD and a crippling need to please people who I suspect are my superior. Basically, I run at such high levels of anxiety, that I am incapable of going anywhere near failure. Natural intelligence helps a great deal as well. But a lot of it is my fear of letting my professors down. So I have the most intense focus of anyone around me.
>>
>>18123999
My thoughts are erratic but logical, although I do have moments of lucidity. I don't think I am unique; there are probably thousands, if not millions of people lie me out there. The perpetual fear of failure and ridicule compel me to spend some time on my studies, but for the most part I learn to enjoy the subject and challenge myself with problems I probably have no hope of solving.
>>
>>18125795
Yeah. I was also supposedly 'gifted' in high school. Learnt after I left at 18 and went to work that there's always people smarter and better than you and it instantly crushed my ego that I had built up over 18 years thinking I was better than everyone.

I think it's just because I used to read shit loads of books since it was either that or watch cartoon reruns when I was smaller. That gave me a massive headstart in literacy and science knowledge and the rest was just paying attention in class and studying a little before each important test. Also I have the feeling I wasn't actually gifted but just avg intelligence in a school of retards because when I was in my last year there were only 20 people out of 400 taking maths and less than 11 taking physics.over 200 took psychology and media studies.

In the end I learnt that being gifted means fuck all unless you seriously dedicate yourself to your talents which anyone can do even if they aren't gifted. There's smart people in every corner of the world. I met Cambridge candidates in a mail sorting room
>>
>>18123999
Most of my academic talent was a combination of pure discipline and letting go of the fear that I might be criticized. If you think you are not "smart," examine your study habits first.
>>
>>18125849
Can you recommend a book?
>>
It's all about experience. Second to that comes having a good mentor/teacher. Thirdly comes desire and lastly motivation.

Academic intelligence can be taught, though the academic machine with which we're churned through can often be lacking; it's the sum of its parts really.

Everything you could ever hope to learn is laid out and within reach to anybody through the Internet. What isn't on the Internet can be found in books. And whatever can't be found in books can be learned through another.

Were creatures of habit though and tend to settle for the life that plays out before us. It's hard to break free from the magnetic pull of convenience.

Understand that you're only limited by what you believe you can achieve. Invest in yourself and focus on what you want out of life.
>>
>>18124004
>Thoughts, no matter how academically advanced you are, will never be unique and refreshing. Everyone has heard it all before
THIS
H
I
S
The smartest thing you can ever know is that you yourself don't know everything etc etc

I used to be a stuck up academic asshole until I worked in a normal working class job for 2 years and then returned to do a Masters. Academia is such bullshit, I now hate everything about it. None of it applies irl and so much of it is just a big circlejerk. Most of all I now hate the jargon that goes along with it, if you told me to "speak like a normal person" before this then I would have assumed you were stupid. Now that I've actually experienced the real world, I see that trying to use a big vocabulary all of the time is the real stupid thing. If all of those extra syllables get in the way of being understood by other people, what's the point? People who don't use those words aren't dumb and you just look like a tryhard. Speaking plainly is better.
>>
Physics PhD here. Intelligence (meaning aptitude for abstract thought) is overrated. I am certainly above average, but I don't think I'm exceptionally intelligent, as I routinely interact with people much smarter than me. Thing is, from a certain level (i.e. if you're not a retard) you can in principle understand anything, if you put enough effort into it. Motivation, dedication and putting in the work is much more important than raw brain processing power. For example, my money-making prospects are far ahead those of my peers (who are as smart or smarter than me), because while they were enjoying the student life, I was autisming in front of a screen. So be interested in everything and absorb knowledge constantly. Embrace the force of autism.

Another very important thing is clear and precise thinking. I've seen countless people fail just because they think in vague terms and didn't formulate the problem precisely enough, even to themselves. Math lectures help a lot with this, that's why physicists have more math than physics in the first year.
>>
>>18124004
>everyone ha heard it all before
Get out much?
>>
Studying at Oxbridge RN for physics

Main thing is to talk to friends about your subject. You don't have to be actually working with them, but just discussing around the subject in your free time is probably the only thing I do that most dont.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.