[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I negotiate a salary?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1487172163731.jpg (89KB, 811x780px) Image search: [Google]
1487172163731.jpg
89KB, 811x780px
I'm looking for a job, currently found couple I'm interested in and I sent the applicatios. I know how much some of my friends make who are in the same situation (student, no experience) and in the same industry (IT) so I know plus or minus what kind of starting salary to expect.

Now how should I go about this subject in an interview? Do I ask them how much they're going to offer or should I let them bring it up? Should I ask for more(how much more?) and then eventually bargain down or will it be considered offensive if I ask for more? There's one job I really want so I'm willing to work even for less just to get it, is it smart to mention that or how should I go about it?
>>
>>18122247
Do some research on what similar positions get paid starting. Also go in with that you can bring to the table and why your skills are worth paying for. If you don't bring anything to them they won't pay you for it
>>
Some companies have fixed salaries for entry-level jobs. If that's the case they'll just tell you. If they say something "The salary for this position is x" and you're satisfied with it just accept it.

If they have no set wage they will most likely ask you how much you want. You should figure out what the average wage for people with your experience in the position you're applying for is. Then ask for something slightly above the average. If they say they can't give you that much ask how much they can give you. They usually don't give you a lower offer than what they'd really pay, they're not negotiators so if you're fine with what they offer you you should take it.

If, during the whole interview they make no mention of salary (very unlikely) ask them whether the salary is decided based on experience or something like that, just to let them know they forgot to ask you about the fucking salary.
>>
>>18122247
Recent job searcher here in software development.

If they don't tell you outright over the phone or in the interview (unlikely) then at the end you can ask what a typical range is for the position. Then if they make an offer you will have an idea of where you sit. Research about the company on glassdoor, or just in general for IT should give you an idea of what to expect.

Beyond that Protip interview advice would to actually have good questions to ask them at the end of the interview instead of just about pay/benefits etc.
>>
>>18122464
Hey thanks, glasdoor looks great already found great information on companies I'm interested in. Looking for software dev position too, the biggest problem I have is that the vast majority of companies want experience (most want at least a year experience even for a junior position). I'm a student and while I've been programming for years ever since highschool and know a couple languages really well, it was never in a professional environment so I pretty much have 0 professional experience.
>>
Depending on the company, it might be offensive *not* to negotiate.

Generally you don't want to give a number first. Definitely don't mention you will work for less. You are potentially throwing thousands of dollars away by doing that.

Let them make an offer first. Add $10k-$20k or whatever sounds good to it. Most likely the meet in the middle and everyone's happy.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.