[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recovering from Apathy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: tweet.jpg (338KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
tweet.jpg
338KB, 1024x683px
Hi /adv/. Over the past few months, I came to realize I have dysthymia, a form of depression which takes the zest out of life and makes everything less enjoyable. It feels like being "numb". I plan on getting a prescription for antidepressants soon, but it'll be several weeks until that's possible. For now, I'm on my own, and I want to make the best of this time so I can bring my passions back.

What would you recommend I do? Have any of you had Dysthymia/Anhedonia before? What helped you the most?
>>
>>18119423
If you live a shit boring life then it's reasonable to be depressed about it. Doubt pills will help much.
>>
>>18119423
That's just called adulthood. It needs no medical name. You'll get used to it.
>>
>>18119767
Most adults actually enjoy doing things, and don't feel the desire to sleep all day. Even if it were an age thing, it shouldn't happen as young as 18.
>>
>>18119833
You're so right. I guess that's why so few people drink and do drugs.
>>
>>18120067
I could argue with you, but I won't. You're being purposefully obtuse and ignoring what I'm trying to say. It's true that most adults enjoy life less than they did as kids or as teenagers, but the idea that they don't enjoy it at all like I currently do is utterly ridiculous. If that were true, half of the planet would spend their days sleeping instead of doing things, going out to parties, and the like. Even among intelligent people, it's nonsensical to suggest they're all totally burned out on life. Camus would not have written his novels if he did not derive pleasure from it. Same with all existentialists and their ilk who declare that life is meaningless. No, what I'm referring to afflicts 5% of the population at most. It's a disease, and I made this thread to discuss solely a disease. If you don't have anything to contribute, don't respond.
>>
Meditation. I'm reading a book called Joy on Demand. Guess what now I can generate joy on demand, either from looking for it or just pulling it out of my ass. It does take some practice but yeah meditation, most effective shit ever.
>>
>>18119423
Hi Anon, I can relate as I've been struggling with MDD. For me, I've found that reading books and stories about others with mood disorders and how they recovered and managed really uplifts me. I also meditate for about 10-30 min a day. I force myself to interact with my friends and I also take time to paint. Hang in there. You're not alone.
>>
>>18120148
How long did it take you? I meditated nightly for three weeks recently but gave up when it seemed to go nowhere.

>>18120174
I appreciate your advice, thank you.

>MDD
Does that stand for Major Depressive Disorder? I thought it was supposed to be Persistent Depressive Disorder. Finding an appropriate diagnosis is becoming really difficult.
>>
>>18120194
You're welcome, I'm happy to give some advice. MDD stands for major depressive disorder. MDD is synonymous with clinical depression, recurrent depression, unipolar depression, etc. different names, same diagnosis. All the acronyms start to swim around in my own mind haha
>>
>>18120216
I guess that fits. "Major" reminds me of the intense depression people talk about, with symptoms like suicidal tendencies and extreme sadness or even self-loathing. By contrast I just feel empty.
>>
>>18120243
Yep. I personally like the name major depression better than the others because, like you've said, it describes how intense the depression is. I've had extreme sadness for many years, even tried killing myself. I've also felt empty and felt nothing. At first I liked that I felt nothing. I got so much done. Then it just felt exhausting. I didn't want to have anything to do with people. Just getting up to get dressed was an ordeal.
>>
>>18120194

Some techniques in the book worked immediately to induce joy. There's a bunch of different ones. The ones that worked for me might won't work for you.

People say meditation doesn't work for them but it's almost always because either they're doing the wrong technique or they're doing the technique wrong.

Different techniques work for different people, so if your technique wasn't working especially after 3 weeks, then yeah, stop wasting time and switch it up. Find other techniques that appeal to you and give those a shot.
>>
>>18120252
That's the opposite of what I have. It manifests more as extreme boredom and apathy, so I guess I'm lucky compared to you, since I probably only have Minor Depressive Disorder. Apathy doesn't change, though, and I'm sure you hate it just as much as I do.
>>
>>18120265
I just learned something new this evening. I never knew there was a "milder" form of depression. Regardless, I agree, I'm sure you hate your depression as much as I do. And, I agree with what this Anon said>>18120263 try changing things up and see what happens : )
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.