[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Choosing a martial art

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Your-Recovery-Sign.jpg (2MB, 1732x1155px) Image search: [Google]
Your-Recovery-Sign.jpg
2MB, 1732x1155px
>19yo acceptably sociable dude
>been addicted to vidya for close to 10 years
>get into med school
>spend 3 semesters procrastinating, playing vidya, watching tv shows, on youtube
>fail 1 exam in the 2nd semester and another one in the 3rd but don't fuck my life entirely
>finally succeed in convincing myself that i need to change
>been 3 weeks since i uninstalled league of cancer and cancerstone + i've been watching less than 30 mins of cancertube per day
>been running and cycling to spend the time i used to spend playing
>it doesnt feel enough so i had the idea of getting into a martial art
>dunno which one

Tl;dr: vidya addict -> need something to spend time on -> considering getting into a martial art

Any and all advice appreciated.
>>
>>18113507
read books
learn chess
get a parttime job
volunteer work

Getting a job at a hospital should be doable, friend of mine works at one like once a week maybe and is a med student too, not even doing masters yet, still bsc and makes like 25+€/hr doing night shifts I think.

>dunno which one
muay thai, boxing, and BJJ are generally the ones people recommend, go check out some trial lessons in the area.

Also for the vidya, moderation is key. It might be hard since you've been playing all day long for years, so it might be easier to just stop completely, but playing occasionally, maybe like one night a week a couple of hours or something when you done all the school work should be fine, if you work 24/7 without relaxing you are going to get burned out eventually. But definitely make sure you don't fall back to old habits.
>>
>>18113507
Perhaps you should consider suicideo? Very ancient. Very martial.
>>
>>18113507
been thinking of doing the same, exactly same situation as yours except not in med school, I'll be going for Muay Thai because It's a more practical martial art than the other "spiritual" ones that give you some weird motions to do during lessons - save that for when you're older, for now go and get that practical basis and you can build on that after a while.

My last two considerations were boxing and muay thai and personally I enjoy the addition of kicking in muay thai, It's a martial art that focuses on flexibility alot and that's important, not sayin boxing's bad tho, just my two cents.

Good luck!
>>
>>18113528
OP here
These are some awesome suggestions.
I'm usually a summer reader. I guess i could start implementing some casual reading into my routine.
I love chess, but i never got good at it. I could also look into that.

I wish i could do something like your friend, but i highly doubt that my knowledge is enough, considering i'm still in the highly theoretical years of medicine.

Muay thai sounds cool, but i've never been that flexible + their pose looks weird.
Boxing sounds perfect. I've always thought about getting a god damn punching bang to just whack all my stress away.
BJJ looks kinda derpy with the whole 'rolling' thing.
Checked and found some gyms close to my home. I'm gonna hit them up next week when i get back to where i study.

I don't think moderation works for me in terms of vidya. I need to cut off completely.
>>
>>18113559
OP here
That's awesome! Let's get through this and finally do something different and more meaningful with our lives.

Interesting choice, regarding muay thai. I think boxing might fit me better because kicking and flexibility aren't really my thing!

Good luck to you too!
>>
>>18113568
Kickboxer here.

I suggest doing boxing or kickboxing. Look for some seminars and classes rather than schools to start with, as classes tend to have a wider range of related lessons and are more social. For example, I occasionally learn take downs and thai boxing at my class.
>>
>>18113583
Glad you found it useful mate! also like the guy above me said, kickboxing is an option! It'll focuses on flexibility too and if there's anything I realized after becoming skinny is that flexibility is really damn important no matter how muscular you are.

I can't even muster up the strength to play vidya anymore or watch youtube or twitch! (which I would do for hours on end) focusing on reality is good, I feel like our modern generation really got lost in technology.

So yea lets do it mate! :D cheers
>>
boxing is kinda "easy" to get, obviously tough to master, but the intro moves are very straightforward, so if you want to have some action fast, I'd say that's the best one.

Muay thai was my pick, I tought I'd never be able to kick since I'm awkward even for running, but those are my favorites over boxing now. You'll get flexibility through stretching and exercising in about three months.

BUT, I'd say the best pick for you is BJJ. You need to remain calm under pression and move wisely, since it's better to be smart about using your strength and precise, otherwise you'll get tired and steamrolled by anyone on the mat. So pretty good skills for a doctor to have. It also teaches a fuckton of discipline, specially for anxious people.

Keep in mind too that the first two are a bit more aerobic and contundent, so expect to have some bruises even if you only sparre(sp?) with beginners. I'd even say specially because they have more problem measuring distance and strength. BJJ can hurt your joints if you're too proud to tap, and is a bit more about isometric strength.
>>
>>18113585
That's cool. I'll look into those. Boxing is really looking it's gonna be what i end up going with. Thanks for your input!
>>
>>18113606
Idk about kickboxing... I've been skinny my whole life and i understand what you mean because everytime i stretch, it hurts like hell and i barely touch my feet!

I understand what you mean so well on your second paragraph. I've been spending a lot of time just roaming around listening to music and i even take some decent pictures while cycling.

ps: i guess this can come off as kinda weird, but i almost feel like we could do this together since we are pretty much in the same situation. if there was a way for us to keep in touch and idk... share milestones... it could be cool
>>
>>18113609
Wow, that's an awesome take on which one to pick. I guess i'll look into BJJ as well then.
In terms of proximity, BJJ is winning as well because there's a place right next to the hospital i study at.
I have to say, i'd be too proud to tap for a long time before i would actually learn not to be!
>>
>>18113672
I never did it myself, but everyone I know who did/does, either quit or grew up, became humbler, and got a stronger sense of discipline. I did Judo for 10 years, started in kindergarden, but got a lot of it from there too.

Muay thai is more athletically demanding in terms of aerobics, and much more contundant, but you probably won't learn anything there beyond learning to take a beating and growing a sense of courage by need. As you I never managed to grab my feet standing, but I still manage to kick as high as ~1.80m, being 1.88 myself. I have pretty loose joints though, one of the reasons I don't risk BJJ, but you learn how to fight within your limitations.
>>
I practice Israeli Krav Maga and Filipino Kali. Filipino martial arts are cool because it's a wide array of techniques both armed and unarmed. I practice the armed Escrima techniques. Start out with stick fighting then move to knives and swords. Krav Maga has a very quick learning curve and is easy for beginners. I like to recommend weapon based systems because of the cool factor. However don't actually start using real weapons right away.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.