[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it normal to get bored of games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1484923363067.jpg (138KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1484923363067.jpg
138KB, 1536x1152px
I'm 18 and on a gap year before I start college. Currently working 2 part time jobs.

I've found that for some reason, I just can't play games anymore. I look through my entire 150 game library on Steam and I have no motivation to try anything. For some reason I just prefer to read, watch Netflix/Youtube or browse this site instead.

When I do boot up a game, I quit within 30 minutes. I'll play Overwatch for 2 games and get bored. Is this normal? Does this ever go away?
>>
>>18112562
Thats normal. You need to move on. Your interests have developed.
>>
just dont play games for awhile and do something else my enjoyment of videogames was much higher after a big pause or simply playing with friends while talking

also clean up your backlog if you have one or look for a game that really peaks your interest that also helped me
>>
>>18112562
People's interests change over the course of their life, so it's normal. Video games in particular often lose a bit of their interests as you grow older, since they're not as much of a novelty as they used to be, and you have less mental energy and less free time to spare for them.

Though there's also an element where you might be distracted by other shit to do on your computer - like idly browsing your preferred social media, which is addictive since it's a constant flow of low-key entertainment for very little effort.

I recommend balancing your time spent on the computer with other outdoor activities, so that when you go back to your screen it feels "fresher" and you might have a better disposition for games.
>>
>>18112562
>on a gap year before I start college
Don't do that, in my experience a year turns into two years, which turns into forever.
>>
>>18112722
It depends. I wanted to get a job and sort out my goals and personality flaws, but gave in to parents' pressure. The result is 3 year long train wreck at university, followed by 3 years and counting of neetdom.
>>
>>18112722
I started it in August. Too late for that. It's gone pretty well and I'm definitely starting school in the summer.
>>
You're the same as me. Your tastes have changed, there will still be games you want to play, just significantly fewer than before.

I played one game last year, played two this year with a couple more I want to try, just only play what really interests you.
>>
>>18112562
Yes it is normal. Tastes can change as you age.
>>
>>18112562

Totally normal to me.

I'm nearly 40 and have been gaming since childhood. It was always a cycle : I play a lot for a long time (sometimes years), and then a time comes when the motivation goes away, exactly like you described.

The thing is games make you feel good, you feel like you live and achieve things, but it's only an illusion. Sometimes you can get bored of this illusion as it does nothing for you anymore currently : you're feeling the need to stand closer to reality.

That's very sane. And even if it doesn't seem like it now, it will come back one day because gaming is one of your passions.
(And if it doesn't, no big deal, you'll just be enjoying reality more)
>>
>>18112562
Of course you get burned out when you do something for years constantly, you've already seen and played everything gaming has to offer, so now everything is boring/uninteresting now.
>>
>>18112562
That's not normal and is an early sign of brain cancer.
>>
>>18113352
SIIIIIIDES
>>
I get in a gaming funk every once in a while, and to be honest the type of games to draw me back in are quirky indie titles.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.