[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sueing a used car dealer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: boxer_engine_cover.jpg (78KB, 880x550px) Image search: [Google]
boxer_engine_cover.jpg
78KB, 880x550px
Well, not sure if this is going to be any use but I could use some help so why not. I bought a subaru forester 3 months ago from a used car dealer. During the test drive i noticed some strange shaking from the engine, but i originally chalked it up to perhaps just being a quirk of how the car operates, being so used to my old car.

Definitely wasn't right, so i bring it to my mechanic to have it checked out. They tell me the headgasket was leaking coolant into the cylinders causing it to misfire. Now this shouldn't be, because prior to buying the car, i was told multiple times that the headgaskets and timing belt were already replaced, being that its over 100k miles.

My mechanic tells me that the engine was definitely never taken apart, and therefore the work was never done and hits me with a $3,700 quote to replace the gaskets, resurface the cylinder heads, and replace the timing belt assembly.

Does anyone have any experience with this? My plan is to take them to court to pay for the repairs because i was lied to on the condition of the car. Keep in mind I also have nothing in writing saying that the work was done, but my mother was also there and she heard them say it too.
>>
>>18112312
hard to say man. Most used car dealerships are still in business because they have a pretty ironclad contract that you probly signed when you bought the car saying they're not liable. Unfortunately I doubt the word of your mother is going to be much use when I'm sure the dealership has people willing to give contrary evidence
>>
Depends on where you live and what the consumer laws are
>>
If it's not in writing that the work was done you probably won't have a lot of luck. You could just try to rattle them by having a lawyer send them an official letter and see if they'll settle on paying the bill to avoid any further action. The only other thing I can think of here is that you should check the owner's manual and any receipts that came with the car to see if it has been serviced regularly and if there is any record of the work having been done.

The mechanic's bill sounds pretty much spot on for that work.

Also note that I definitely would NOT expect a car with 100k miles to have had the head gaskets replaced. The timing belt likely should have been changed at least once but maybe twice in that time - your owners manual will be able to tell you the service interval on the timing belt.
>>
>>18112312
ofcourse you can sue them in germany if you have the papers stating that tit really has been replaced. but if you are in zimbabwe you are screwed
>>
>>18112312
See if your state/city has a lemon law. Basically, whatever disclaimers there are in a contract and whatever lies you were told, a car has to be "fit for purpose" - that is, it has to run. If you can show they sold you a car unfit for the road, you can sue for your money back. But if it runs and is just not as good as you hoped, that's life.

Moral: haven your mechanic examine it BEFORE you buy.
>>
/o/ here. I know you've heard it already but you dun goofed.

Always always always stay away from buy here pay here dealerships. Fucking people over is how they stay in business. They do payment plans for literally anyone with a job and they tack on insane apr (20+%) when you inevitablely can't pay they tow the car. If you don't believe me feel free to google.

Assuming you didn't go through a BHPH dealership, you did go to a rinkidink used car dealership. The type that buys cars for pennys at auction and flips them for profit. Early 90's-2000's Subarus are notorious for headgasket issues, it's not an "if" it's going to happen, it's "when." however once fixed they are very solid cars.

Again since I don't have a lot of information, I'm going to assume you were on a lower budget. What you should have done with a lower budget was go on Craigslist, very good deals can be found if you know what cars to look for and how to scope out a good Craigslist ad.

This is where you have a decision to make.
>Will fixing your current car cost more than a new car with unknown problems?
>Do you not want to deal with your current car and just accept the loss?
>Is getting a certified used car a viable option?

If you don't know what to look for on a used car and don't have anyone who knows what to look for, /o/ has a sticky with pretty good info on buying a used car. If you're willing to learn it has mostly everything you need to know when buying a used car.

Tldr;
>keep the car, fix it
>buy another car if it's cheaper than fixing the Subaru
>buy a certified used car
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.