[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get back to reading? I used to read in grade school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1488951751662.jpg (145KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1488951751662.jpg
145KB, 720x960px
How do I get back to reading?

I used to read in grade school and loved it but after going to work, I barely read.
I think it's because of video games and having the tendency to skip text that caused it.
whatever, I just want to know how I can go back. Video games aren't even that great anymore.

I also bought a cheap e-book, thinking it would motivate me to read but I haven't touched it since.
So how do I motivate myself to read?
>>
>>18111301

go old school, paper is the best way to read because its what your brain is accustomed to.

leave your phone at home and go read outside. you'll have nothing to do without your phone being ten inches away and actually pay attention to the book.
>>
>>18111301

Go some place without distractions for the sole purpose of reading. The library, a park, a cafe, etc. Do it often enough and eventually you'll finish the book. Maybe you'll rediscover the joy of reading and can do it at home too later on, despite the potential distractions. College killed my reading habit, because there was so much mandatory stuff to read. It was sort of difficult to return to it after, but building a habit around it helped. Setting specific times and places where to read is useful to get you going.
>>
>>18111301

Start with easy reads mate. If you like video games, then read video game books.

For example, I'm in the exact same scenario as you (sans the text-skipping in games, you monster) - even bought an e-reader and didn't touch it for years too. But, i recently started reading all The Witcher books as a buildup to playing the games, and holy shit, it's so fun. For the first time in a decade im spending hours unable to stop reading!

I'm going to use the momentum to keep going with other books after this.
>>
I had this problem a while ago too, mostly from years on imageboards killing my attention span.

What helped was this thing called the "pomodoro technique". You set a timer for 25 minutes and start reading. if anything comes to your mind, jot it down fast on a piece of paper and get back to the book. Once the timer beeps, set it for a 5 minute break, use the 5 minutes to gaze around or think about what you just read but don't get on a chan or on your phone because it'll just nab your attention. Timer beeps and continue reading for another 25 minutes.

I did this for about 1 or 2 hours every other day and after about 2 weeks I finally was finding myself engrossed in my book and didn't need much use for the pomodoro method anymore.

Additional tip: Choose a book that you can enjoy, not necessarily one that interests you since you might find you're not having as good a time with it as you had hoped.
>>
File: 3dd_132271547.jpg (79KB, 664x441px) Image search: [Google]
3dd_132271547.jpg
79KB, 664x441px
>>18111301
Same. I read so much back in elementary school and middle school that I earned all the big accelerated reader rewards every year. Now I haven't read a book in over half a decade.

I assume I just fell out because of computers. Or because the Pendragon and Percy Jackson series ended up killing all my enthusiasm.

Just because you don't read a book doesn't mean you don't read on the computer. Don't feel so bad if the format is different. In my opinion, computers perform the concepts of escapism that much better.

I enjoyed the Redwall series. Try reading turning game downtimes(deaths, loads, afk'ing for events) or before going to bed. Those are usually the places I do other stuff.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.