[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become better at math ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

I want to major in computer science but the anons here say it's a lot of math. In high school I was never that good at math

>Is it a IQ thing
>Am I just not smart enough
>>
It's most likely that you were just taught poorly. Teach yourself precalc and trig first. Those are going to be the most basic foundations for everything else. You can do it on your own in just a couple months using a textbook and khan academy.
>>
>>18110924
I'm not OP, but I'm in the same situation. Do you think this would be useful for someone who is basically completely blank in the field of mathematics? I had to relearn how to do basic math on paper just a few months ago, and I'm struggling to get through fractions at the moment.

I'm using an old textbook I had lying around and a lot of evening time.
>>
>>18110935
The questions is obsolete. You try out. Then you see. You seem to have dedication so keep at it. Example: instead of asking the question you could be studying now.
>>
You don't need to "learn math". That's what got you in this mess.

You need to understand numbers first. Like really understand numbers. Then you can understand math, not just learn it.

Like the number 3. What is 3? What does it mean? That symbol there isn't the number three, it's just a symbol to represent it. So what "is" 3?
>>
>>18110935
Math is just abstraction. The concepts involved are natural and intuitive, it's just the wrapping (the symbols and terms) that fuck people up.

Something you'll notice is that people who are considered "good students" and can rattle off definitions and terms on demand just can't do shit when confronted with difficult logic puzzles or material that they are unfamiliar with.

When learning math a really useful skill is to read through the textbook chapter and then write down everything you learned from memory in the way you would describe it to a friend. It's a pain in the ass when you start but it's been proven to be one of the most effective methods of learning.
>>
>>18110969
I think you just confused everyone even more.

Anyone can learn math, OP. It just takes a lot of hardwork, dedication and practice.

Do what this anon said >>18110924

Khan academy and a textbook. Study a least an hour a day. You'll see progress in time. Keep at it.

I fucking sucked ass at math in school. I took a placement test when I was applying to a local community college and got placed into the lowest tier math class availible on campus which made feel like utter shit. So instead of taking two additional semesters of math courses, I just studied hard for a few months then retook it and placed into pre-calc.

Just study everyday and you'll get better. Math is just practice and repetition.
>>
>>18110889
Math is a skill like anything else and requires practice to become proficient. I'm tired of people saying 'I'm bad at math lol' when they've done everything possible to avoid doing math through all their school years.

You can finish calc 3 at least (maybe more, that's just how far i got in maths) with no particular signs of high intelligence by just regularly practicing.
>>
>>18110924
this, mostly.

Math is not much harder to learn that other subjects if you do it properly. The main issue is that people have deficiencies in the knowledge required to understand what they're currently learning. To give a very simple example you can't learn multiplication without first understanding addition. And you can't learn exponentiation without first understanding multiplication. And so on. That's why some people find it impossible to understand calculus in college, because they didn't learn math properly in highschool.

So you must figure out what your deficiencies are and correct them. Start with an advanced highschool math quiz. Figure out what are the chapters that need improving (it might be all of them) and then read the theory and explanations for these chapters. Mark out what concepts you don't understand and study the chapters those concepts are based on. To continue that example, if you wouldn't understand exponentiation you should study multiplication.

Basically you have to find the break the problems you don't understand into easier, more basic concepts and study those until you understand them, then go back to the complicated problems and study them with your newly-acquired knowledge. Also do exercises. I know it sounds obvious, but so many people skip this part because they feel like they understand an issue properly. Just to forget it 1 month later! You need exercises to solidify your understanding and knowledge.

Also, I should add that if you're interested mainly in programming you should go for a software engineering degree. CS is more of theoretical study of hardware and software than an exercise in software writing.
>>
>>18111000
Alright thanks

>Switching to SE
>>
>>18110889
Play sports. No seriously, it helps you unconsciously understand the application of what you're learning and get some hands-on experience working with the concepts
>>
>>18110889
just sign up for community college and your placement tests will put you in remedial math classes. After that you just have to do what the teachers say and study/practice.
>>
>>18110889
I'm a 1st year Physics student. Had an Oxford offer that I refused for complicated reasons. I can help you if you want. Give me your e-mail and I will tutor you for free.
>>
The biggest gripe I have with math teaching in general is the attitude of "I'm not going over it because you should already know it." But at the same time, it is distracting to students who work well with the pace of the class.
>>
>>18111721
Not OP, but would greatly appreciate the help.
Email is [email protected]
Thanks in advance :)
>>
>>18110889
I remember reading in either psychology or anthropology that skill at math is learned by hard work and lots of practice. The text said that the reason Japanese students scored higher in math than American students was a difference in attitude. Americans think you are either good at math or you aren't. Japanese students think if you aren't good at math then you need more practice.

After reading that I aced algebra despite being terrible at math in high school. I did it by doing all of my homework teice and taking the initiative to do the chapter/slash unit reviews the day before exams in the math lab. Scored over 100% in that class with the bonus questions on exams.
>>
>>18112540
>tiece = twice

I did all my homework TWICE
>>
>>18110969
thats calculation, not math
>>
>>18110889
The biggest thing that someone needs to learn math is having an instructor who knows how to teach. Any schmuck can sit and parrot a textbook and copy shit onto a dry-erase board, and a lot of people can learn like that. I fucking can't. I was lucky to have a lot of really good math instructors through high school that engaged students when they taught which allowed me to get a really firm grasp of the material. Most college level courses, especially towards the higher maths you need for Computer Science, are usually taught by someone that can't or won't engage students instead of just teaching the material at them.

If you don't have a good instructor, find a good tutor. Find yourself someone that can actually teach you math and you can learn anything you need.
>>
>>18110889
>thinks he needs math for code monkey job
My fucking sides. You only need the most basic math skills to do comp sci. Comp sci is literally just spending hours every day writing bullshit If statements. There is literally nothing more to it than this. Complex programs have more If statements than simple ones
>>
>>18112616
why would anyone choose a comp sci degree over computer engineering?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.