[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Idiot Boss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 7358013657103.gif (1013KB, 300x196px) Image search: [Google]
7358013657103.gif
1013KB, 300x196px
I'm responsible for the development of several core tools for the current company I work at. The person whom I directly report to does not know the language these tools are written in but insists on going in to the source to add "fixes" which result in him absolutely clobbering the design and, inadvertently, the logical flow of these programs. He claims that the code "shouldn't be this hard to edit" and blames me every time with an inexplicable conviction that it's my fault that the tools no longer work properly when he introduces his changes.
It's gotten to the point where I have to review every single commit he makes to our repo to verify if his code is going to shit the bed or not which is ridiculous as reviewing code and giving the green light for moving to production is literally his job. Any time there's an issue he makes sure to pin it on me in every company meeting which we hold once a week so all the employees know how great he is and how I clearly don't know what I'm doing because bugs just keep appearing.
This guy is the CTO of the company. The CEO and I get along great and every time the CEO asks me to perform some new task, my boss is quick to come up with an excuse why that isn't a good use of my time and reassigns it to an unrelated coworker who has no knowledge of the specific problem leaving me with significantly less than full-time work hours.

How do I work around this? Should I bring complaints up with the CEO or is that inappropriate as the CTO is in charge of the technical aspects of the company and isn't something the CEO should be worrying about (despite the CEO having final say in direction of the company as a whole).
>>
if you have a good connection with the ceo, Tell him in all honesty after getting his vow that your words are just between the two of you. Also make sure to tell him, that you are not malevolent about your boss or want to stab his back. but this hinders the forthcoming of the company by wasting time and resources.
>>
>>18110254
document document document

record your code working. record it shitting the bed on his commit. keep all emails and make sure you are clear that these issues are his in your emails

have evidence so that when he tries to say things are your fault you can prove that's not the case
>>
>>18110420
I agree with this OP. Also sounds like your boss is fearful of allowing you to succeed by intervening on the ceo's assignments to you. Missing those assignments is costing you hours and money, his making you look bad in meetings is also damaging your reputation and possibility of promotion and more work which is also costing you money. He is stealing from you and the company by destroying productivity. He is a liability and you need to take care of this, leave the company or needlessly languish in a bad spot. This guy is standing between you and your potential future success. You know what to do. Time to do it. Good luck and Godspeed.
>>
>>18110254
"Boss, too many cooks in the kitchen can lead to confusion. Why don't we work out a system in which only one of us actually codes. Either I tell you what we need and you input it, or you tell me and I do it, but not both?"
>>
>>18110415
The CEO is quite pleased with this guy so I really don't think he'd buy into the idea that anything my boss is doing could hinder the company in any way shape or form. But the boss is a master of buzzwords and hyping unimpressive shit so he's been able to sell himself pretty well to the company.
>>18110420
I absolutely have been keeping documents of everything since the day I started. I haven't just gone and been like "nuh uh he's lying I have proof" about anything since it's a massive amount of very small lies and I don't want to come across to everybody else, who aren't experiencing this first hand, as whiny/attention-seeking/shit-stirring or whatever.
I make sure all communication between the boss and I are in the form of emails to keep records on every conversation I have with him.
>>18110446
it quite possibly could be his fucked up way of preventing me from ever qualifying for a raise at any point in time while I'm with this company.... didn't think about that until just now. I definitely need to get my ass in gear and join a different company.
>>
>>18110684
Don't leave without a fight. Get your resume ready and have your eyes open for other opportunities but you should talk to your boss about your concerns first, or the ceo, or both. I mean that's up to you but I would try to improve my situation before abandoning ship. If nothing else it's a learning experience for dealing with conflict down the road.
>>
Why not go back to his commit, write a test case proving he fucked the code?

Don't be vindictive. Just genuinelyntry to test the code and if it's actually his code that causes the trouble then bring it up.
>>
>>18110254

> Not using a CI or build server
> Not working off off a development branch with pull requests that require approval to master
> Not having sufficient unit and integration testing so that the build fails instantly on the COO's dev branch when he fucks up.

I think you should use this opportunity to level up in your software dev skills.
>>
>>18111793
None of these are my decision to make.
The CTO is adamant about NOT writing tests because "they're a waste of development time" and I argued with him about this extensively.
He is also the one who decides the workflow for git. I have no control over that.
He is also the one who decides if we're using a build server or not. I have no control over that.

I don't know why you think I'd have any control over any of those things.
>>
>>18111776
I don't need to write a test case to show that. It's quite easy to show how his code is affecting the program and explain how certain language features don't do what he thinks they do.
git bisect will also show his commit as being the fucked up one that introduced the new bugs.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.