[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there such a stigma against people with psychological

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 1445722183259.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1445722183259.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
Why is there such a stigma against people with psychological disorders?

I have OCD and can't get a licence for a gun nor probably join the army because of it. I take medications and go to a therapist and function normally.

It feels emasculating. It seems that society treats all mental problems the same, no matter if it's severe schizophrenia or mild OCD.
>>
if it was mild you would not be diagnosed with a psychological disorder
>>
Well, the picture you chose to start thread is the reason you can't get a lisence, join Army etc.
>>
>>18106539
It's mild enough that I function normally. I'm not a fucking kid or a psycho, and it's extremely hurtful to be treated like that.
>>
>>18106549
I don't understand why you can't get a lisence.
I've seen blind people with a lisence.
>>
that's not what disorder means. either you're wrong or you were misdiagnosed.
>>
>>18106523
Pretty sure you have to adjudicated to not be able to buy a gun
>>
>>18106549
>hurtful

Why exactly do you think your feelings matter to anyone but your family and friends? It's extremely hurtful when girls tell me I'm good looking, just too short.

Suck it up, buttercup.
>>
>>18106574
What the hell do you mean? You can't be well-functioning with a disorder? You learn new things everyday!

That's what I'm talking about. Describe your problems and people sympathise with you. Say you have OCD and you are viewed as some mentally ill freak who should be closed in a psych ward.
>>
>>18106592
>What the hell do you mean? You can't be well-functioning with a disorder? You learn new things everyday!
that's the definition of the word.
>>
>>18106581
I live in Poland, here you have to be part of a collectors' association or something and supposedly obsessive disorders (and any other for that matter) disqualify you from getting a licence.
>>
>>18106600
Sorry to say this, but Poland is fucked up. Come to America. We'll give you a lisence. And our borscht isn't too bad either.
>>
>>18106523
yeah being in the army or having a gun arent gonna make u happy bruh. theres a stigma because 90% of the population is wicked ignorant, which gives u, even lowly ol anon u the upper hand. its gonna be ok! become preoccupied with self improvement, mindfullness and meditation for the better part of March and see how much better yr life gets
>>
>>18106597
So I guess I should not leave my bed anymore because the definition says so? My psychiatrist says I function well, anyway. That I struggle mentally is another matter, but it doesn't prevent me from living normal life.
>>
>>18106620
>it doesn't prevent me from living normal life.
dude, you're crying on the internet that you don't own any guns. your shit is not normal
>>
I feel for you OP.

I forgot the name of the doc I met when I was 10, but he sure shot my hopes and dreams. Told me that my lazy eye caused my depth perception to be fucked all my life and literally had a list of jobs I'm banned from doing in the future.

Just imagine that. 10 years old. My mom sat there and thought this conversation with me wouldn't leave me scarred as hell, too. Especially since it ruled out a few college degrees that would be pointless to work for if I can never be hired in certain fields.

My brother is 4 years older than me and shot my confidence down until a decade passed after that day.

My brother's son has a worse lazy eye than me. Karma works even through genetics.
>>
Luckily in America you can be a raving lunatic and still get your hands on as many guns as you want.
>>
>>18106600
Technically, collecting is hoarding, which is a form of OCD. You should be a shoe in!
>>
>>18107955
Not that guy, but...
Collecting only becomes OCD if they obsess over their collection in an overwhelming amount. If their homes are lined in guns, you might not want to tell them about a potential mental illness honestly.
>>
>>18107396
what about the countless other crying threads? Half these people have never heard any diagnoses.
>>18107955
Heh I only mentioned it because it's one of the ways to get a gun licence legally.
>>
>>18107967
Lazy eye guy here.
I got some insightful questions for you.
Do you really want to own something you can't or do the things you're not allowed?
If you say yes, do these have downsides to have the ability?

I can't have a job/task requiring a gun because I can't accurately judge a scope. If the US forces civilians to join a war I could die in, I won't be in any firefights unless it's point blank range.
>>
>>18106523
you can't get a permit for a gun or enlist because you take fucking psychiatric medication
>>
This is too harmful for the society
Imagine every one with a personality disorder would be able to drive and get a car
Its just security, nothing personal
>>
>>18108135
But they can.
>>18108129
Have you ever read about how SSRIs actually work? They don't impact your sobriety, they just make your brain retain more serotonin, making you calmer or less depressed. They're not benzodiazepines or antipsychotics, and neuroses are not psychoses.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 325x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 325x453px
>>18106523
>tfw go to join Navy as a cook
>recruiter urges me to go in as an officer
>tfw in final stages of recruitment, told I'm the top candidate in my region
>tfw they request my medical records
>tfw episode of depression years ago on my notes null and voids my whole application
>barred from joining despite being demonstratably well for years

Fast forward almost a decade later feeling not quite well again
>tfw afraid to seek any kind of help again because I don't want to screw myself again with anything on my medical notes.
>>
>>18108838
well I guess they wouldn't have the possibility to check it in my case
>>
>>18106523

>Why is there such a stigma against people with psychological disorders?

Because for hundreds of years human beings that psychological disorders were the work of demons or witchcraft. People with mental disorders were cast off and jammed into insane asylums where they were abused, neglected, experimented on and tortured because society, as a whole, didn't care about them.

People with schizophrenia just needed to "get a grip". People with depression just needed to "cheer up". The science behind mental illness is still something that your average person is completely ignorant of.

Now, we've come to an age where we acknowledge that mental illness exists but for the most part the public has no education; they don't know the warning signs, they don't know how to address it, they don't know how to help, so they pay doctors and institutions to keep these people out of sight, out of mind. We walk past them everyday while they lay out homeless on the streets and starving and talking to themselves in the subway and we're perfectly fine as a society to ignore them until something they do affects us. Then we get up in arms. Then we want to know where we "went wrong" and after a few news cycles we forget about it again and let mental health blend into the background of human ignorance.

Mental illness, unlike skin cancer or MS, is invisible. Its a disease we can't see. We stigmatize it because everyone knows someone with a mental illness but its easier to demonize them than admit that we, as a society, have failed them.

Life in modern society is characterized by a deft lack of empathy for any problem that doesn't directly affect us. This is just a by-product of that mentality.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.