[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a chef a realistic career prospect for me? Given that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (54KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 470x313px
Is being a chef a realistic career prospect for me? Given that my cooking skills are minimal. I consider myself to be a perfectionist l, and it often take a long time to complete tasks as it stands.

In addition to that, I've been a NEET for the better part of five years. (Odd jobs in between, but I haven't had steady work since 2007-2011)

I considered attending a hospitality school upon dropping out of grade 12, but never pursued it. It's just something I keep coming back to out of everything I've considered, I'd really LOVE to become a qualified chef but I don't know if I have what it takes. Any thoughts? I turn 25 this year and wouldn't mind making a positive change.
>>
>>18105701

It's possible, but you really have to enjoy cooking if you want to be a professional chef. Most of the best chefs in the world had minimal coking skills ot did something entirely different at first. If cooking isn't your life, I guarantee you'll hate it.
>>
>>18105701

probably not, though i dont think its really an ideal field for anyone who actually likes to cook.

becuase when you're in the kitchen its more like being a slave. you are throwing together meals as fast as you can trying not to let the restaurant back up. the people who flourish here are the ones who are more interested in management, they become the head chef and cook but also order everyone else around, kinda like managing a set or a show or what have you..

regardless, you need to stop making excuses for yourself.

>is it realistic to be a chef?
>i havent worked in 5 years

with the exception of general employment it has nothing to do with being a chef.
>>
NO! DO NOT!
I tried to become a chef because I just thought it'd be something fun to do as I did a couple subjects back in high school. I had no real interest or talent in the art but just kind of did it. I worked in a relatively busy restaurant for about 8 months and absolutely hated it. I do not deal with being under pressure to get shit out quickly and that is of perfect quality. You have to be fast and good.
The in between service time is alright though, it's much slower paced and it's actually where the real cooking happens. I'd consider working in a restaurant that is failing and only does a few tables a night but that's just dumb and lazy.

It is a high stress fast paced job, the hours are long and your social life will be destroyed if you're full time. You cannot be slow ever, stuff overwhelms you quickly in a kitchen and if you can't handle that then you'll be super fucked.
That being said, it might be worth a shot. You may be completely different to me and end becoming the next Gordon Ramsay, he didn't particularly want to be a chef.
>>
What country do you live in?

Yes it's possible, but you'd have to start at the bortom(dish) and work for a good 5-10 years before you made sous chef.

>>18106045
Sums it up perfectly. In a good restaurant, it is very fast paced, very high stress, and the only 'break' time is after a rush, which can be hours, and the break is really just not having to work at a breakneck pace because you don't have a neverending list of 20 bills to get out.

T. Worked my way from dish to saucier/baker in a year as someone with no knowledge of the industry. Lots of luck involved there, and it was a good experience, but I never want to work in a restaurant again after it.
>>
>>18106022
I've considered this quite a lot already.

The lack of an ability to work at your own pace, coupled with the fact you're essentially treated like a slave, expected to thrive under immense pressure sounds less than appealing to me.

I perhaps thought that, maybe it'd motivate me to become good at cooking, help me refine the craft. Gain a useful tool that I'll forever be able to utilise throughout my life, regardless of whether I decide to change careers in the future.

To clarify though, I certainly HAVE worked in the last 5 years, the work just hasn't lasted more than a few months at a time. My resume isn't ideal but it could be a lot worse.

Anyway, I guess I'll resuming the NEET-lifestyle for the foreseeable future once again. Thank you to everyone for their replies.
>>
>>18106053

I live in Australia fwiw.

My sister-in-law is a chef but I certainly don't want to use her as a foot in the door, especially if I can't live up to expectation.
>>
so, you're tempermentally unsuitable for the job, it's a mildly competitive field and and there are a bunch of people with 3-7 year leads on you who are your age.
do something else.
>>
>>18107067
nah, I'll just do fuck all. thanks for the assessment and concluding what i already had though.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.