[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discipline/Self Control issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5915.jpg (56KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5915.jpg
56KB, 800x522px
Guys, it's time I've come clean. I know this is an anonymous image board but it's a start. I have a discipline problem, it mainly has to do with the amount of self control and willpower I have. It's also something that has caused me to fall short of what I'm able to do. I've always been upper tier in school, HS and College alike. I know I can damn well do extraordinary things. However, it's this thing that's holding me back, I know that if I put my back into things I can damn well at least come close or be able to get into medical school and become a doctor, which has been my dream. Problem is, I just can't control myself. Whenever I feel like jerking off, I'll just do it. Wasting time on 4chan like right now, I'll just do it. Playing video games, I'll just do it. Now, when I'm in college, when I have to depend on myself more than ever, this is going to hurt me if I don't fix it, and I don't want to have any regrets in the future. I don't wanna be when the time comes thinking about what ifs. What if I had fixed my issue I would've become a doctor today. I know that there's a possibility which I don't deny that I wouldn't be able to do what I state above if I fixed this, but at least I know in future that I had put my back into doing this and didn't get it and not have a problem hindering my full potential and ended up living with regret. Thanks.
>>
>>18104824
Bump for help
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique
>>
>>18104877
Not OP. But is this a meme. I've seen this get tossed around frequently but doubt it works.
>>
>>18104877
>>18104885
Also not OP.

I've been doing this for a bit. I don't think it really has a huge effect on self control. It more so just makes you more efficient at tasking. You work in 25 minute chunks as opposed to hour long ordeals, so you're able to focus and work more effectively for those 25 minutes and give yourself a 5 minute break at the end of each session, eventually a 15-30 minute break after the 4th one.

Again, I don't think it does much in the way of self discipline since you still have to make yourself do the task. It just makes it more manageable to do.

As far as self discipline goes, I'm the wrong person to ask. But if I had to guess I'd say it would have something to do with making yourself do something everyday until it becomes an automatic habit. How do you get yourself to do it everyday? Fuck if I know
>>
Brother, I'm in a similar boat. My lifelong lack of personal discipline and willpower have led me to squander many opportunities that I know others aren't as fortunate enough to have.

After being a hippy EDM stoner for a few years I finally realized that I needed to actually do something with my life and the idealistic world view I had before was unrealistic and unsustainable.

So now that I'm out of self imposed educational limbo I'm working hard in my community college to try to restore my GPA and completion ratio so I can transfer to a good university for my BA.

I'm breaking away from my lifelong mentality of "not being a math person" and I'm going to major in electrical engineering. I know I can do it because I've always been a good student, particularly when I'm not a lazy fuck.

Good luck to you man, the fruits of the world are there for those who work for it. It's going to be a complete lifestyle change. I'm no longer going to try to get by doing the bare minimum, focusing on passing the class and nothing more. I'm going to engross myself in my studies and truly master the subjects I'm learning. I know I can. All it's going to take is extremely hard work and self discipline.
>>
>>18104941
OP here. Thanks bro. Really nice knowing someone in the world is in the same boat as me and understands how I feel. Hope you fulfil your dream man.
>>
Use your weaknesses as your strengths. Want to jerk off? First you have to write a page on that report you are doing before you can. Need to memorize 10 diseases? Practice 5 minutes to memorize them, spend 5 minutes shitposting on 4chan, repeat. Reward yourself with things you want to do, but have enough discipline to not do them before you have earned your reward. It can be good to keep a list of things you enjoy doing and another list for the things you need to do. Then you can easily find a suitable reward for the work you need done.

Also remember that a part of you does not want to succeed. But that's fear, perfectionism, etc., talking and you need to handle it. Catch yourself when you are having bad thoughts like "I can't do it", ask yourself Why you can't do it. Is it because it's too hard for you? Maybe you need to ask for help, or cut the large task down to smaller task. But ask yourself why, because if you do, you can figure out a solution.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.