[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dating while broke?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

I'm a college student who's been out of the dating game for a while after moving to a new area and getting in the swing of college life. I do have a job and usually have at least $150 spare, but right now I have $40 to my name for the next week and a half due to my usual bills plus $250 for textbooks for classes that are starting in a week. Luckily, I have a food plan so otherwise this isn't so terrible.

However, then I met a guy out of the blue who I admired and we went on our first date. It went really well and now he wants to go out throughout the next week since I'm on Spring Break and have plenty of time. I obviously wasn't expecting this and figured I'd spend most of spring break alone in my apartment catching up on my studies, working, and spending time with friends, which wouldn't cost anything.

He was a gentleman and paid for dinner and dessert on our first date and I know it's probably my turn next time we go out. I just can't pay for anything right now though because I already ran out of body wash (using face wash instead) my cat is running low on food and litter so I know that will be around $15 in the next few days. Then if I need more gas, which I have about 60 miles left on my tank that will be about $10 to tie me over. That would only leave me with $15 in case of emergency.

Like I said, this isn't a normal circumstance, but I don't know what to do.
I don't want to make him think that I'm using him if I ask him to pay for stuff and don't want to give him the bad first impression that I'm always broke. I know if I try to explain it that it'll sound bad coming from somebody he doesn't know well yet.

Help? I know there's always free dates, but he's mostly available after it's dark so we can't do things like beach days or taking walks.
>>
i doubt hes expecting you to pay for the next date, most men don't. thats the kind of thing a man only expects when a woman expresses the desire to do so.

if he invites you to something he will pay, but you can always just say 'im hella poor, lets go on a hike!' or something similar.
>>
You can also just explicitly say that due to circumstances, you're unusually poor right now and can't afford to go out, and make a plan to have another date when you have more cash. Either he dismisses it and says he wants to pay for dinner, or he agrees and says lets wait the week and a half.
>>
>>18102711
>>18102680

I'm afraid if I do this he won't believe me and he'll just think I'm using him. :/
>>
>>18102724
Depends if you actually like him or not. I rarely have women pay for dates unless it's something the suggested and the say they want to pay for it. Guys like treating women as long as they're cool and fun to hang with. You may feel pressure though to do stuff you don't want to do if he's paying for everything and if that happens then be up front with how you're feeling and suggest a walk or something no-cost.
>>
>>18102724
I understand, my line of thinking is more: if he doesn't understand and makes a big deal out of it, that's a red flag. You sound like a kind and rational person, so hopefully he is as well, in which case he probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

I personally would find something to do that doesn't cost anything, as I prefer more direct solutions to things like this. I really wouldn't fuss over this too much. You can be amazed at how understanding people can be when they're interested in you.
>>
>>18102650

Personally, I would be honest with him - tell him that you really enjoy hanging with him, but due to circumstances, you're unavailable for the next x amount of days.

Notice that I said "unavailable" as opposed to broke. I agree with you that mentioning the money will seem like you're trying to get him to pay.

Now, the important part is to really communicate that you do want to keep this thing going. Girls are incredibly flakey, and often ghost/give bullshit excuses for not showing/meeting up, because they're often weak willed and can't deal with conflict. There is a very real danger of him perceiving your denial for the next 1.5 weeks as a bullshit way of telling him you're not interested, because as i said, it's common.

What I would do is preemptively make plans to meet up right after you get paid. Ie, *you* propose the plans yourself and push for them to be fulfilled. Then keep in contact with him over the dark period via messaging, to again subcommunicate that you're interested.

Apart from this, regarding the money: Its a long shot, but is there anyone you could ask to lend you a little money for this short period of time? For example, if you were my bff and i had the spare money, I'd certainly spot you the cash for the purpose of dating this guy. But then, I'm a pretty giving person.

The other option would be free credit. Note: free only. Getting into paid debt for this is dumb - only free is sensible. Eg, my bank offers me a bunch of benefits for being a student, including a free overdraft of up to $1,500 with no interest. If I was in your situation, i would readily use the overdraft and top it up as soon as I got paid again.

Just a few ideas.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.