[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Driving phobia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: AND LIFE.jpg (24KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
AND LIFE.jpg
24KB, 500x281px
I had a car accident a few years back and now I can't take trains, busses, or drive unless I'm driving.

My gf and I are going on vacation in two weeks. It's about a 10 hour drive, and we're going with a bunch of other people. She knows how I feel on this and I've offered to drive the whole way but her friends are still asking to drive.

How do I get over this /adv/?
>>
>>18101070

Tell them you'd prefer to drive because you have a phobia about car accidents as a passenger.
>>
>>18101070
Drive a train there. It's highly likely that her friends aren't qualified to operate one so you're all good there.
>>
>>18101072

I have but it's her friend's car that we're taking (I offered my car and she won't budge on it for some reason) and her friend wants to drive from our state to like halfway there, she just told me.

So that's four hours of driving that I definitely will feel like dying in. I know this whole thing is stupid and immature on my part but I just have this one button that she keeps pressing. This is a really nuanced fear that I'm currently going to counseling for and trying to work on, and it doesn't really impede my life (besides her). I'm getting really bent out of shape over it because I know it upsets her but it also bothers me because it's a completely avoidable situation.

>>18101073
I just said I can't take trains. There is no train there anyway. I was thinking about taking a flight worst case scenario.
>>
>>18101070

Are you me? Fuck I feel you man. I cant do passenger at all after my accident.

It is basically PTSD and a touch of OCD control issues for myself. I was rear ended because traffic came to a sudden stop ahead and we stopped im time but the guy behind us was high as fuck and didnt react fast enough. When I drive I keep about 10 car lengths in front of me when going over 50mph. People just love me on the freeway.

My OCD mind tells me that if I can slow down gradually to unexpected shit then I can control the reaction time of people behind me however it is a lie. I create more danger because my driving pattern is atypical and people will be more damgerous just trying to get around me.
>>
>>18101121

...cont

Try taking dramamine OP. That or any prescription anxiety pill will make you lethargic enough to not react as much.
>>
>>18101131
>That or any prescription anxiety pill will make you lethargic enough to not react as much.

Yeah but mentally I feel anxious even thinking about this, and I'll need a lot. I tend to drink too much (I'm drinking almost once a month now and not bingeing) and had a blacking out problem so I don't know if I should do that. Where would I even get them?

Also how has your experience been overall? I'm working on slowly getting desensitized. It's great to hear I'm not alone.
>>
You just gotta do it. You have two weeks to drive around as a passenger. Start with small distances and work your way up. The sooner you get over it the better. You may never fully recover but at least you should be able to manage enough to be the occasional passenger.

I was apprehensive after my accident too. Someone side swiped me at 60 mph and I went off the road into a few trees and totaled my truck. I was always a very confident driver but after that it took me months to feel comfortable again. I'm a little more anxious now when I drive. You can beat it though.
>>
>>18101070
You just let them drive. Your fear is unreasonable and you have to get over it even if it makes you uncomfortable for someone else to be driving.
>>
Can you take your own car separately?
>>
>>18103006
I asked but she did all the booking and is dead set on using her friend's car. I might try the overnight parking at a nearby airport.
>>
Drive yourself, there are going to be places to park. I wouldn't let you drive me either, you can't just announce that you're insane so you need control over other people's lives.
>>
>OP ignoring all suggestions to fix his phobia

Lol OK I'm sure you'll never have to take a train, bus, or be driven somewhere ever in your life
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.