[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Papa be dying n' shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Walter-White1.jpg (233KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Walter-White1.jpg
233KB, 2000x1000px
My dad is dying at age 51 (I'm 21) of pancreatic cancer. We're really close, and I'm going to miss him like hell. I'm trying to stay strong for my family, mostly my mom and my Grandpa (dad's dad). Any advice for that? Me and my dad are a lot alike, pretty stoic, so that isn't much of a problem. Although it kills me on the inside sometimes.

Also, he's leaving me his house, and is currently teaching me how to upkeep everything/pay bills/cheat entergy etc. Me, and my mom especially, are pretty helpless. Me because I'm young, ,my mom because she is very dependent on men. Anyway, any idea on how to handle all this inheritance? I already have a bit from my other grandpa who died, which I'm saving, but I'm currently in college and don't have a job. I'm hoping to get one real soon when I graduate, Bio major, but idk. It's a shame he's dying so young, and when I'm so young as well, however I'm glad we're both fairly level-headed and practical. He's teaching me everything he can before he kicks the bucket. But anyway, I'm just rambling to get shit off my chest. Thank you for any replies. Hell, even if you reply with "get a grip, faggot" at least it's something.
>>
Sorry about your dad anon. Remember that while being stoic is often a desirable trait, bottling up strong emotions isn't good for your mental health. Stay strong, but don't be afraid to grieve.

I'd suggest you put any inheritance money into an index fund, it will appreciate a lot over a few decades and will be safer from impulsive spending.
>>
File: 1487097863310.jpg (5KB, 250x210px) Image search: [Google]
1487097863310.jpg
5KB, 250x210px
>>18098060
Sorry about your dad. Get counseling and anxiety meds. Do not fall for the trap of telling him about all the fucked up shit he said and did.
>>
>>18098078
Thanks dude. Not an impulsive spender at all, hell, me and my dad pee outside to save on the water bill. But yeah, I tear up a little bit when I'm by myself, but it's not cool to do that in public. Will be hard at the funeral though with all the crying women. He has some in a savings bond for me, which I'll most likely leave there, and a good bit that he just removed from his mutual fund. Now, I can't pay the bills with savings bonds since I can't withdraw as easily. Will I be able to with index funds? I'll look into that a bit. Thanks
>>
Well as for money if you don't have an emergency fund I'd highly suggest starting one. It is always good to have a safety net for a rainy day. You won't know how valuable this is until you experience your first major expense - maybe you need surgery, maybe your whole car is totaled and your insurance company pays jackshit, etc. Having $5000 always in your checking account as this emergency fund is a good idea.

Beyond that you can start investing your savings, but don't waste your time with stocks. Only 5% of day traders actually make more money than the overall market, and you're not going to be the 1 in 20. Once you've got your emergency fund squared away open up an index fund (vanguard's S&P500 fund is the most popular because it has the lowest expense ratio, but there are other good ones as well) That's what you should be putting your savings into because your return will closely mirror the performance of the S&P500 which is about the best bet you can make. Here's the one I like https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0540&FundIntExt=INT

As for the house how large is it? Does your mother live there? You could either sell it and buy a small house or condo for yourself or turn it into a rental property which is how you really start making money.
>>
>>18098090
Nah, it's nothing I can't handle. I'm more worried about the mental health of my mom and my Grandpa. Mom's been crying every night and my grandpa came close in front of me. He's a gentle old man, really cool though, drinks with me and my buds along with my dad.

Ok and duly noted. I'm honestly hopng he dies sooner rather than later, considering the amount of pain that he is suddenly in. Lol Damn shame, healthy as a 25 year old, only his pancreas is fucked. Border line alcoholic, yet liver is fine. His dad is in his 70s, smoked, never exercised, and is fine. Of the few thousand people each year who get pancreas cancer.. he's one of the "lucky few" as he says.
>>
>>18098092
I'm fine with emergency funds. I inherited 45,000 from my rich-ass gramps, god bless him, and I'll be getting even more from my dad, plus a house. Yearly expenses for me will be at least 5k per year, probably more
>>
>>18098060
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Being a man is being able to perform your duties despite your feelings, no matter how bad they are. The mourning will pass, but the pride from handling shit when things are rough will stick with you.
>>
>>18098107
well that's certainly quite a boon, you can set yourself up to retire young if you manage it properly. Did you need any financial advice?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.