[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Our intern, who has been working with us on/off for the past

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: doesntlooklikethis.jpg (218KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
doesntlooklikethis.jpg
218KB, 1600x1200px
Our intern, who has been working with us on/off for the past few years, asked me the other day if I wanted to go out to drink with her and our coworkers this upcoming weekend. We've (my coworkers) have never gone out drinking before, the bar she mentioned is in her city (I commute), we're both single and she asked me when no one was in the office yet. I'm thinking its a ruse.

How bad would it sound if I said, "Sorry, but I don't drink." I'm not lying, I really don't, but I don't want her immediately concluding I flat out rejected her.

tl;dr She's a very kind, chinese woman and I don't want to hurt her feelings. How do I minimize the damage, /adv/? Do I really have to say it point-blank?

>one final note: I showcased my autism card to her by writing the date/time in my planner instead of saying no to her right then and there.
>>
>>18093277

She invited you out into a group of people, doofus. Go out for the drink, mingle for an hour and then go home. Boom. Crisis averted.

She didn't ask you to marry her for fucks sake. Its just a drink.
>>
>>18093277
>asked me the other day if I wanted to go out to drink with her and our coworkers
>with her and our coworkers
What part of this makes you think she wants to date you? She's inviting you out for a work outing, you moron
>>
You're overthinking it bud. Go hang out. If she's interested then she will probably make it clearer when you're there
>>
>>18093277
Just go have fun you sperg. Otherwise say you have plans. Saying "I don't drink" makes you sound either holier than thou or an alcoholic.

Tact will get you far in life.
>>
>>18093305

The company I work for has a total of 6 people. We're all directors/admins except the intern. All the others are in their 50s though with families/wives. We all live our own lives do our own thing and have never got together for anything before.

I just don't think this is a work outing. That, or the others know I won't go and haven't bothered to ask.
>>
>>18093277
Tell her you don't drink and offer an alternative activity
>>
>>18093289

Thanks for the comment, man.

>>18093310

Totally agree with you on keeping the not drinking thing to myself. I don't think anyone there knows.

I like the idea of just saying I have plans. And ending it there.
>>
File: 1484281402208.jpg (597KB, 2048x1596px) Image search: [Google]
1484281402208.jpg
597KB, 2048x1596px
>>18093320
It sounds like you're the only person she feels connected with because of the age thing, I believe this is safe territory. It's okay if you don't drink, just order sparkling water or something like that, maybe even just a single beer (you don't have to finish it). Remember the point is to hang out with some folks, have conversations, stuff like that.

I have hung out with real time alcoholics and they're usually pretty chill with the non drinker, just don't go preaching around about how alcohol makes you an immoral person.
>>
>>18093277
if you like her ask her to do something only the two of you together. If you don't just replying by saying you don't drink is acceptable.
>>
>>18093310
Diff anon here, let's say that someone was a former alchy and is still at the point where they must completely abstain bc they can't stop if they get started? Would it be socially okay if you accept the invite and go chill with coworkers at the bar but don't drink? Or would it seem even more uptight?
>>
>>18094223
No problem there. Could even be the designated driver.
>>
>>18093277
Ha, oh man. Don't sweat it. I agree with the other anons who said that you should go and don't read too much into it.

But I know how you feel. I usually don't want to become obligated to someone by a "social contract" unless I initiate the contact due to my genuine interest. Then I remind myself there's a huge realm of possibilities how I can deal with it and just enjoy such meetings for what they are, or at least what they are implicated.
>>
>>18094352
Right on with friends that know it's no big deal but wasn't sure about new people/ coworkers, thanks
>>
>>18094223
Anyone who isn't a dickhead would just appreciate you coming, drinking or not.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.