[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College/Life Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1421940033324.jpg (67KB, 876x493px) Image search: [Google]
1421940033324.jpg
67KB, 876x493px
I'm at a crossroads, /adv/ and I could use some guidance.

I'm not a stellar student -- far from it. I've health multiple health issues, and thus, I can't off to a far away uni like most 'normie students' who dorm and stuff. I have an extreme anxiety disorder, and I don't want to leave my area because I would be leaving the docs that I know, my primary care doc in particular, is super nice and supportive.

So here's the dilemma. I live in San Diego, CA, and there are only 2-3 state universities here, and they all rejected me for my poor community college grades. I have a 2.8 and many Ws and Fs which I repeated (they still dirty up the transcript).

So, I'm at the end of community college, and my local state unis told me to fuck off, essentially. That leaves me with diploma mills and two priviate christian universities that charge boatloads of money, I'm talking like 20-30k a year tuition -- and that's assuming they would even accept me, which I doubt.

I've tried to brainstorm a solution but it seems pretty hopeless for me to finish my degree here. I applied to a Cal State University where my Aunt lives, and they accepted me (it's out in the sticks basically), but I'm not sure my aunt would let me board, and again, it comes back to the issue of leaving my 'safe place' in SD.

What do? In case anyone was wondering, I was/am a teaching major. I want to work with special ed possibly since I'm sympathic (not trolling).
>>
I'm not from the US so I don't know, but can't you get some sort of qualification from community colleges?

Also do you plan to NEVER leave San Diego ever or something?
>>
Teaching's a bitch if you have an anxiety disorder, so if you're set on a high-stress career with no allowances if you get overwhelmed, do everything you can to stick near the doctors that know how to help you.

Have you considered online programs at accredited universities? Education is one of the more accessible online options, especially if you're doing pre-reqs like adolescent psych.

Otherwise, think about working first and then doing an alternative license program. You can get teaching certification in most states through career-switch programs which might give you time to distance yourself from crap community college grades.
>>
>>18092396
Community colleges grant you a degree that says, you completed roughly the first half of a baccalaureate degree. I will be granted an associate degree in a few months; I could work as a teacher's assistant/aide, but that's it. So you can see, that it's not enough. I need the full BA degree - which are only granted at proper universities.

>Also do you plan to NEVER leave San Diego ever or something?

With my current mindset and where I am in my mental/physical health - no. I like to go to the beach to relax. Sometimes I will go to the busy city center to see normies, as an exposure therapy. San Diego is a very fun place to be honest. People from all over the country move here, moving out is kinda unthinkable for most - not just me.
>>
>>18092408
Is teaching really the best thing for you to be studying if you have anxiety?
>>
>>18092405
Teaching's a bitch if you have an anxiety disorder, so if you're set on a high-stress career with no allowances if you get overwhelmed, do everything you can to stick near the doctors that know how to help you.

Right. I know that life will only get harder for me once I become a teacher. At least, remaining in the area I grew up in, gives me a sense of home and continuity.

>Have you considered online programs at accredited universities? Education is one of the more accessible online options, especially if you're doing pre-reqs like adolescent psych.

I have. But most online universities are either diploma mills, or if they're semi-legit, they charge an arm and a leg. I'm talking like 1500 per class, or like 20k per year. So again, it comes down to finances, I'm having sticker shock. But beyond the finances, there's also a matter of it being rather mechanical and disconnected. I've liked going to classes, meeting with people, hearing lectures, it's helping me out with my anxiety. An online program would be devoid of all that.

>Otherwise, think about working first and then doing an alternative license program

I don't follow. In California, you must have a bachelor degree to work as a teacher, no way around it.

>Is teaching really the best thing for you to be studying if you have anxiety?

Probably not. I was originally a psychology major. I wanted to be a counselor, but then I discovered that there aren't any jobs, and especially for people with low grades.
>>
Sorry guys, I realize you raised valid points about either looking for a new field, trying an online school, or just reconsidering leaving my area. I already knew my options and I just wanted someone to nudge me in one direction.

I guess I have to fact the fact that I have a separation anxiety now, and that's not healthy either. I suppose the larger picture here, is that I need to work on my mental hang-ups. It's still very depressing, however, that I'm almost 25, and most people in my high school class, graduated several years ago, and some are even getting married. And here I am, something along the lines of an r9k archetype. I swear, nothing good comes from following people on facebook.

Well, I don't know. I want to get my life moving. I want to get a career, and have a paycheck, and then become a normie with a family. It's not going to happen at this rate, that's driving even more anxiety. I don't want to be an r9k guy at 30.
>>
In that case, I'd say don't teach yet. I know plenty of teachers who had long careers before going back to school for teaching. Get your paycheck and your family doing something you aren't as passionate about, work out the anxiety to the highest extent possible, distance yourself from your current community college transcript, and then revisit later.

I know nothing about Cali teaching requirements, but in my state sped teachers can major in anything as long as they have a 4-year degree when they start teaching. So you could always work a 9-5 and get your degree super slow--suck it up and do online classes in psych, but only one or two at a time to make the cost match your income.

Sorry if that's not helpful pushing you in a direction.
>>
>>18092525
No. It's fine. One has to make their own decisions in life. In CA, you too can have any major and still become a teacher, provided you prove subject matter competency by passing the relevant exams and doing an internship. Basically the teachers college here is postgraduate. I really do need the BA before I even cross that bridge.

I don't think I want to work any job that doesn't pay 40k starting though. Cost of living is too high here so, I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks for the response, anon. I'm going to try to figure it out. I'm considering going to the state university that accepted me in the 'sticks'. I have 3-4 months to accept/decline from them. Time to mull it over and decide what's important to me. But my life really is going nowhere fast, and I feel like I need to get the ball rolling somehow.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.