[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious Ethical Question about Internet behavior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1472873326392.jpg (201KB, 609x867px) Image search: [Google]
1472873326392.jpg
201KB, 609x867px
I didn't know where to turn with this question. I thought about /pol/ since they're partially the catalyst for the thought, but the amount of shit slinging would have been unproductive. /lit/ was also a choice but most of them come off as stuck up dweebs. /adv/ seems like the most normal and reasonable board, so I'll ask you

At what point is using racism to troll just straight up racism? When is it just some insensitive humor?

Blasting NIGGER all over someone's comment section, with their upset reaction being the only goal comes across to me as plain racist. Kids over a mic calling eachother niggers...I'm not so sure.

I think most would agree that stormfags are racists by their nature. Recently I saw someone claiming The Daily Stormer was just a troll site.

I live in California, and I'm a white guy adopted by a black man. So if I sound confused...yeah
>>
I think that intention is key, however, when intention is not obvious, racism is assumed by most people, ignorance at best. I think you are right on with what you said, but I think that if the kids aren't racist, they are, at the very least, incredibly misinformed. They don't know what the word means to most people and their parents really don't give enough of a shit to educate them. If you use a racial slur to hurt, that's racist, if you use it as a joke, that's not really racist, but it can come off as racist to bystanders or your audience for the joke.
>>
>>18091688
> he thinks /pol/ satire
Haha, yeah, buddy, we're just messing around when we say niggers are the scum of the Earth. They sure don't deserve that nomination in any way, champ.
>>
>>18091688
It entirely depends on context and you have to understand that 4chan is inherently edgy. On /pol/ part of it is people enjoying the shock value but many see the flagrant use of obscenities as a pushback against a hypersensitive politically correct left. If you call someone a nigger or faggot on 4chan, the other person would likely shrug their shoulders. Think of it as kids in the 80s pretending to be satanic to piss off their fundamentalist mothers. While there are stormfags that try to shill on the board, their puritanical, identitarian ideals are fundamentally at odds with 4chan's libertine attitude.

t. a /pol/ poster
>>
>>18091722
>libertine attitude.
Lol, /pol/ is fascist now. The libertarians had their chance.
>>
>>18091688
you see the word nigger thrown around on the internet because it gets the greatest reaction

say beaner, nothing

say gook or chink, nothing

say cracker, nothing

nigger? everyone goes crazy

that's why it gets thrown around, the internet is about likes and attention
>>
>>18091730
A libertine is different than a libertarian, anon.

>A libertine is one devoid of most moral or sexual restraints, which are seen as unnecessary or undesirable, especially one who ignores or even spurns accepted morals and forms of behaviour sanctified by the larger society. Libertinism is described as an extreme form of hedonism.
>>
>>18091688
I just separate blacks from niggers. Black people are normal, niggers are the ones jumping in the traffic and blasting rap music everywhere while holding their crotch.
>>
>>18091688
>At what point is using racism to troll just straight up racism?
When it pisses a lot of people off.

When is it just some insensitive humor?
When it makes a lot of people laugh.
>>
>>18091739
I've heard that one before. I've also heard "nigger means ignorant". Which, I gotta ask. Why not use a different word? I'm assuming you use this logic irl. If you see a person you would call a nigger, why not call them a fuckin retard thug idolizing uneducated future welfare case instead? The problem with "nigger" is you'll push away black people you would generally respect, when you could be on their side with the same opinions. Many black folks, especially older black folks, are deeply annoyed by the gangster idolatry.
>>
Not sure how "pretend racism" compares to heartfelt racism but I have no respect for trolling either. Sure, trying to get a rise out of someone in a humorous manner can be innocent and fun. But that's different from plastering someone's account with shit you hope they find hurtful and makes them feel like shit about themselves or their work. It's the difference between a prank or teasing/bickering and straight up bullying.

Personally I don't understand why people so often act like there's zero responsibility for your online actions. They have real life consequences, there is no rational argument why you should not be held accountable (even just for your own conscience) other than it being convenient. If I got to know someone I was impressed with and found out they behaved like a rabid cruel dick who gets off on other people's insecurity/hurt feelings it would not make a significant difference to me that they only targeted people they could not see and could forget are flesh and blood human beings.
>>
Just walk away from the computer my negger
>>
>>18091840
I never actually say it to black people, if I see some thug I'll just reference his as a nigger to my friends.
>>
>>18091688
As best I can tell I'm the only black person in this thread thus far, and for me personally, there is no context in which using that word is going to come off as anything less than racially insensitive at the very least.

I get that some people are ill-informed and genuinely have no idea, but if you're at the place of being able to question "You know, I'm not sure if this is appropriate or not..." then you're more than aware enough to understand how charged that word is, how burdened with history it is, how offensive and hurtful it can potentially be, and probably know that you just shouldn't be say it. Period.
>>
>>18091873
Well so the question is, if someone throws all those filters out the window and says it anyway, with the intention of being abrasive, is it racist, or is he just a dick? Is there a difference?
>>
>>18091715
>Being this level of newfag
When did you find this site?
>>
File: 1455784186895.jpg (29KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1455784186895.jpg
29KB, 640x640px
>>18091883
>being a namefag
>thinking you have any leg to stand on
stop
>>
>>18091882
>says it anyway, with the intention of being abrasive, is it racist, or is he just a dick?

Both.

I mean, does claiming "He's not a racist. He's just a dick who says racist things" REALLY make sense to you?
>>
>>18091888
nice trips bro
>>
>>18091688
Understand that racism isn't inherently wrong. Understand that the point is simply to disobey what people are told to do for the sake of disobeying. Understand that posting text over the internet isn't the same as looking somebody in the eyes. Understand that social media is absolute trash and is bad for the mind.

A truly neutral mind would not be upset either way.
>>
>>18091739
>niggers are just blacks who offend my white sensibilities
>i'm not racist tho
>>
>>18091840
I call my white room mate a nigger if he smokes weed in the house or leaves the kitchen a mess.
>>
>>18091688
Here is my take, fwiw: racism as you describe it depends completely on context. On /b/ "racist" words get thrown around all the time. They are used outside of racist arguments, even. Does that mean everybody on /b/ is a racist? I don't think so. It's a corner of the Internet where, as long as you don't break the law or violate a few simple rules, you can say anything. Using those words in a YouTube comment section, however, takes on a different meaning *due to the context*. Your question was "at what point is using racism to troll just straight up racism?" Well, racism means you harbor irrational hatred for other races. If you use words to take away other people's dignity because of their race, then you are a racist. If you use racist terms outside of that agenda, I do not see it as racism. Remember what I said about context: it matters a great deal when it comes to interpretation.
>>
>>18092077
People say shit they don't really mean all the time. Why is it treated differently with racial slurs?

If someone says "I hate fucking niggers." but holds nothing against black people, is friends or has relationships with black people and is just saying it to piss off everyone since they feel it is insane society gave so much power to a word, do you still feel they are racist?
>>
don't do it if someone is liable to feel shitty when they hear it
don't do it in public
don't do it around people you don't know well
don't do it around your black friends unless you know they don't care
it's not about being a racist, that's totally different. it's about being a cunt.
>>
The problem is not the words, it is the being in someones face. If someone does not want to engage with you it is wrong to force them to do so. Leave people alone. I don't care if you call me awesome or nigger, if you are disruptive and a jerk about it, that is my problem not the words, or even intent. I don't give a shit about how racist you are, just don't be in my face.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.