[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My doctor says the drugs for anxiety are antidepressants. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1486934770460.gif (2MB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486934770460.gif
2MB, 500x800px
My doctor says the drugs for anxiety are antidepressants.

I'm not depressed though, is this true?

Does anyone take medication for anxiety? Does it help. What are the side effects.
>>
>>18091329
All your many feels are driven by a relatively few brain chemicals.
There is a lot of overlap between anxiety and depression.
"Antidepressant" is a really big category of sometimes very differently functioning drugs.

Medication for anxiety (or depression) may make you feel sedated, normal, emotionally numb, or fucking invincible, depending on what you get and how appropriate the dosage.

It can certainly help. But it is a band-aid. If your problems are circumstantial, this may be all you need to see things through until they get back to normal. But if this is a pervasive problem for you, it may be a result of your patterns of thoughts and behaviors. A drug won't change those for you, in the long-term.
>>
>>18091346
Thank you that's helpful. Logically I am ok and try to ignore my anxiety if nothing bad is happening but the feeling of worry persists even when I'm sitting at home relax and not even thinking. I also have trouble sleeping because I dont want to face a new day and start all over again with responsibilities that I'm failing. And I avoid people if I can.

I don't know how much therapy will help when I already force myself to interact with people and ignore my anxiety successfully. It's just starting to wear me down being worried about things all the time and having to talk myself down and being frustrated with myself when I know nothing is wrong.
>>
>>18091346
I wanted to make sure my doctor wasn't a quack because he is old and french and has over prescribed medication before...

Which sounds like a reason to worry.... lol
>>
>>18091375
If you're going to get medication for mental or behavioral issues, go to a psychiatrist. Better yet, start with a therapist and see if you can solve your problems without drugs. These professionals have a lot more tools at their disposal than just prescriptions.

Internists (or general practitioners) absolutely over prescribe. Especially old ones. Especially for mental/behavioral problems they otherwise have no idea how to address.
>>
He's right to an extent. They will more than likely help. I'll just share my personal experience. I used to have bad anxiety problem. Doctor told me the same thing. I was probably depressed too so I said fuck it. I started taking Zoloft. About two weeks in it started working. I felt funny and different somehow. I just didn't care about anything anymore. It completely fixed my anxiety problems. I took it for two years and over time it caused all kinds of issues. First one I noticed way no sex drive anymore and my dick didn't work as good. Even two years after quitting my dick wasn't the same and my orgasm was weak. Looking back it completely changed how I acted. Basically turning me into someone else. I also took benzodiazepines like Xanax and klonopin for that two years. They are equally as bad and cause weird side effects, are basically poison, and he withdrawals are hell on earth for both drugs. But yes they would probably fix your anxiety at the cost of everything else. Good luck hope things get better.
>>
You do not want to fuck with benzos. They are far too easy to abuse and once you're in that hole getting out is incredibly hard. Like kicking heroin hard. Just don't.
>>
I was prescribed Propranolol (beta blocker) for anxiety. It stops the production of adrenaline and seems to work wonders.
>>
>>18091329
>My doctor says the drugs for anxiety are antidepressants.
A lot of medications serve more than one purpose. Take codeine for instance - it's mainly used for pain relief, but it can also be prescribed as a cough suppressant as well as a treatment for diarrhea. I use a medication called Trazadone which I take for anxiety, but it also treats depression and insomnia.
>>
>>18091329
anti-rage/anger drugs are high blood pressure drugs, usually less potent if they are over the counter
>>
There is no one drug or treatment for anxiety, and there is no one type of anxiety.

Personally I just needed some beta blockers at hand for stressful situations or times of heightened anxiety.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.