[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to learn coding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: vidi2.jpg (37KB, 600x302px) Image search: [Google]
vidi2.jpg
37KB, 600x302px
This is something I've been curious about for a while and I feel like if something is offered cheap or on sale, it may more often mean it's of less value now or out of date. I've heard blips that CSS, Java, and PHP are still of good use(talking out my ass of course, I don't know for sure). What I'd like to know is if pursuing these 12 courses would pay off as impressive or at least a well worth foot in the door if I wanted to switch from maintenance/mechanic to IT tech? I'm not an idiot, just lazy and used to be wary of what I dedicate time to until I realized I was wasting it, so in full "well I was just planning on killing myself so why not take a death-defying job" fashion, fuck it, it's better than not actively learning something. Any opinions, experience, or recommendations would be helpful to paint a small picture of what success looks like.

>aforementioned course sale
https://shop.cracked.com/sales/the-complete-2016-learn-to-code-bonus-bundle?utm_source=cracked.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=the-complete-2016-learn-to-code-bonus-bundle&utm_term=scsf-217806&utm_content=a0x1a000001s6gp
>>
>>18090338
The real reality is that while this will probably give you skill set, employers will be looking for a certification of some sort. Might I recommend the taking CompTIA exams starting with A+ which I'm currently working on.
>>
>>18090362
Noted and appreciated.

A big, irrational fear of mine like I said was not trusting any sources of learning as everyone(especially online courses) is just trying to sell you something, relevant to success or not.

What do you hope to accomplish through the years career title-wise?
>>
>>18090338

First thing: stop calling it coding. There is nothing cryptic about programming.

If you're looking into programming as a career path you'll be going up against three types: Indians with postgraduate degrees and dumbasses who took a 12-week "coding bootcamp" but couldn't program their way out a paper bag. The third and most rare type are people who are actually worth something because they understand the theory behind computers and algorithm development. More importantly, these people can communicate effectively and professionally; something both the Pajeets and normies lack, the former because they're beta asocial Indian bookworms and the latter because they're stupid.

The Indians have worthless degrees because they're from shit-tier third world universities nobody respects, so don't worry about them.

Basically programming is a meme. But here's the thing, first world degrees also mean jack shit thanks to federal subsidizing of higher education.

Like the other guy said, certifications are what matter. Portfolios, projects, and Github commits matter, because they show actual ability and collaboration experience, not that you spent 8 years cheating and taking years off your life due to stress for a piece of paper or bought a bullshit """course""" off fucking Cracked of all places.

Either enter programming meaningfully and with full willingness to learn EVERYTHING down to what individual electrons are doing as they race across copper filaments, or don't do it at all.

Start with SICP.

Finally,
>2017
>cracked
>>
>>18090338

You don't even need to buy anything holy shit, just go download an IDE(google Eclipse IDE). Then just go to town.

Honestly though OP you strike me as the kind of person who buys a 'how to draw book' and then never draws again after reading it, trying one drawing, then giving up because it looks like shit.

>I'm so smart, I'm just really lazy, but I always used to get A's in high school!

I want this meme to die.
>>
>>18090940

Yes, follow the don't get a degree meme. This guys a fucking idiot.
>>
>>18090940
>>18090947
True enough, I've read multiple times and heard that those with certs confirming their skills are more likely to get an interview or succeed period for that matter than those repeating back information they've learned from current degrees. I wouldn't turn my nose up at college though in general considering positions I just looked up are requiring a Bachelor's in Computer Science.

And you're not too far off with the "how to draw book" comment, I am a part of the instant gratification generation after all. Excuses don't pay the bills though, so a weakness to work on.

>self-made projects to demonstrate skill+experience
>fuck around with google Eclipse IDE
>SICP
Gotcha, appreciate it.

>>18090991
Everything with a grain a salt, and peer review. It's a shitty site full of shitty people, myself included, but tips are tips. I'll sort through the good and the bad.
>>
>>18090940
>normies

Lol, I bet you think you're fucking special.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.