[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apartment Blues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1481837453760.jpg (195KB, 1440x814px) Image search: [Google]
1481837453760.jpg
195KB, 1440x814px
I've wound up in a scenario where I'm out of work and paying 70% of the rent for 3 people, one of which is my best friend. How do I fix this and retain my friendship?

>Oldest friend and I decide to move in together.
>We agree to split the rent and utilities 60/40 since I was making more than him.
>2 months in he loses his job, "don't worry I got you bud!" more like 90/10 for a while.
>He says, my gf can move in to even things out, help with the expenses
>We agree to all pay 33%, she moves in, and he gets another job soon after.
>End of the month rolls around and they both can't make their 33%
>We agree to go back to 60/40, but they're splitting the 40%, until they're on they're feet.
>They run short on their collective 40% for months, despite both working.
>The company I worked for goes under, now I'm out of a job.
>Fast forward a few months and I'm still struggling to find work, and they STILL can't hit 40%
>I liquidated my 401k to keep the 3 of us afloat.
>His gf is now complaining to him about how I'm a lazy NEET and it's unfair I have money
>I'm not getting any NEETBUX and I'm literally using my life savings to support her.
>The break up for the last 3 months has been 70% me, 20% friend, 10% his gf.
>His gf makes double what he does and doesn't have any student debt (he has a depressing amount).
>She's holding out hard.

How would you handle this situation?
>>
What's it say on the lease?
>>
>>18089617
It has me and my friend as co-leasers, but no payment break up. The landlord only cares that he gets the full amount and I send it to him every month. They reimburse me throughout the month. She's not on the lease.
>>
>>18089608
Is your name on the rent?
>>
>>18089630
Yes and I'm the main contact for the landlord.
>>
>>18089608
I hope they bought you dinner, because you are getting fucked.

As previous post said, lease is the law.

Have a heart to heart with them. This is bullshit. Since when is it OK to skip rent payments??? Get a second job if all of you need to. Recommend to them.
>>
tell them you don't have the dosh to pay half the rent anymore and if they don't contribute more you'll probably lose the apartment*
*whether or not that's true
>>
Kick those toxic fucks out. Jesus, you're quite prone to take some shit.
>>
>>18089623
either get out of this lease asap (explain to your landlord and he might be sympathetic and just let you out, or maybe you can make a deal where you cover one more months rent, something like that) or kick everybody out, citing their inability to pay rent, and get new roommates.
>>
>>18089633
Yeah it's extremely aggravating and of course economically crippling. I talk to him about it often and he always agrees to pay more, no problem! and then when it comes time to pay he never has it. She always shuts down and just looks grumpy during these talks, then complains to him about me after, then he tells me what she said.
>>
>>18089640
Yeah, I made to many concession at the start and now they've become accustomed to it.

I've learned a lot from this, but it's still extemely shitty while it's happening
>>
>>18089645
OP this just isn't a way to live. Tell your friends straight up that you can't afford it. Tell them if they don't have x amount by the xth of the month, you will need to find new roommates. It's easy to do so with craigslist, rommers, etc.
>>
>>18089632

Pretty much the anons above have said then. Especially with your name on the agreement, you have much more to loose here (credit score) than either of them. Either get them to pay or kick them out and get new roommates.

You've been very generous to them thus far and they have not pulled through.
>>
Agreed with the others. Get out or kick them out. In fact you should have taken this measure when you lost the job.

It's common sense to minimize expenses when you have no income.

If they really are friends, then they will understand.
>>
STOP paying the goddamn landlord. Tell him you've only got your part of the rent because your roommates didn't pay you. Tell them you can't afford to keep paying so much rent and actually STOP paying it.

I deeply pity you if you've actually spent 401 k$ on this shitty deal.
>>
>liquidated 401k

My condolences anon. I'm sorry for your loss
>>
>>18089608
Frankly, you're an idiot for even letting this situation get this far. Just be up front that you'd be all better off living separately for now, or just make up an excuse to move out somewhere new. If they start acting weird on you, ditch their bum asses.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.