[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Office Politics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Ed Harris The Truman Show.png (1MB, 960x537px) Image search: [Google]
Ed Harris The Truman Show.png
1MB, 960x537px
Here's one for /adv/,

I recently got a new job, it's a demanding field and I make 150K. i am a white male and there is an african american guy who works with me who HATES me and keeps trying to get me set up to get fired.

i think he is racist against white people and he keeps asking me "who i voted for".

i really like my job, i honestly have nothing against this guy but i want the problem to stop. what do?
>>
>>18088552
Build the closest possible relationship you can with the managers, joke with them and talk to them constantly. Get in with them as good as you can. Be very careful about any work or information you deal with that he has access too. People of this type will,try to dig up petty political ammunition against you to sabotage your career. The easiest defense is to stay calm and ignore any shit comments he says, disarm them. He asks what political party you voted for say "it's all rigged man, I don't vote" even if that's a lie.

I'll give you examples from my work. A coworker got it in her head that the quickest way to move forward was to try to find errors that you make in your work and gather them together to show management as often as possible. Her typical thing was to not do her workload and dump it on other people, causing them to do rushed work. We check out batches for entering accounting data, and we leave the total blank since it always get added to for example. She will wait until the accounting sup comes in and loudly criticize you to make sure it seems like you are incompetent even when you are following standard procedures. This was impossible to defend against at first because I didn't have a close relationship with my sup.

Now however the lead is mostly in charge and her and I work hand in glove and talk daily. When this girl tries to be petty, she gets called out on it. Often I've gone to the lead and asked her hiw she wanted something handled, then this girl gets it to review. When she trues to make me look stupid to the lead it's over something the lead specifically requested we do and she looks like an idiot trying to make whatever it is look stupid because it's what they want done.
>>
>>18088552
What feild is it in? Like what type of stuff do you do?
>>
you make 150k a year

who gives a fuck what some idiot thinks that has seemingly no effect on your job except it kind of hurts your feelings
>>
Just get HR involved, and be as professional as you can be around him in the meantime.
>>
>>18088552
Ignore him.

Does he go out of his way to prevent you from doing your work?
Yes >tell hr
no >get over it and ignore him
>>
Are you in the oil and gas industry?

If so, good luck. That industry is filled with assholes. Put him in a position where he needs something from you. For example, if his tires get slashed, give him a ride. Or if he forgets his ear plugs, give him an extra set of yours. I had to do this kind of thing in an office environment, and all I had to do was give the hater a pack of ball point pens and he shut up. He didn't even ask for em, I just gave em to him. He had pens allover the place.
>>
>>18088596
Not op here. It matters a lot bro. Evil people can get you fired very easy if they are set on it. When getting a teaching credential I worked with a teacher training me. The school liked me and started to give her a hard time because she was a jerk to them. She was out sick for 2 weeks. Her solution was to temporarily move the files where I took roll call and tell the principal, and my university supervisor that I was incompetent and hadn't been taking roll. A day or two later, I had discovered what she had done, but the damage was already done, everyone was convinced I was borer line retarded and unprofessional. After I graduated and got my credentail, she went out of her way to give me poor work references. I think,she was mostly concerned I would take her job, which is pretty insane.

The first year or two you work someone can be dangerous like this before you develop better relationships with management.
>>
>>18088583
This is definitely good for me to consider and pretty much how I've been handling up until this point. The problem is that this guy just keeps escalating his actions and rhetoric to the point of trying to start verbal confrontations at the end of our shift.

>>18088598
I don't have an HR, I'm working through a staffing agency.

>>18088599
Yeah, he does actually go out of his way. He acts like he runs the place.

>>18088610
This is the kind of situation I'm in. Someone who is just trying to make sure there is bullshit in my file and doesn't care if none of it turns out to be true.
>>
>>18088552
So the routes I see are to befriend management and lock up any access he has to your information. If you do any work he has access to, make sure it's perfect because he will point out any errors to everyone. Make sure you keep original copies of whatever you do and cut off any attempts to get management's ear without you there to defend yourself.

You can try to convert him into a friend or disarm him as much as possible. Do some generic friendly stuff that shows you don't hate him to keep him from thinking you are a darkie hating whitey.

Actually at my work, I get along better with black people than anyone else for some reason.
>>
>>18088635
>I don't have an HR, I'm working through a staffing agency.

Unless you're working with like less than 5 people, that is odd.

So, best advice then would be to

1) Tell him you don't appreciate how he prevents you from doing you work and ask him nicely to stop.

2) If he continues tell you're boss the same thing. Do not start shaming or blaming him for anything other than "I have a hard time doing my work because he goes out of his way to bother me. I asked him to stop, he has not so i am letting you know that it is becoming a problem."

3) If you're boss does nothing, then you're at a genuinely shitty company and you'll have to suck it up. Or try telling someone higher up, but that is all you really can do.
>>
>>18088645
>you'll have to suck it up

Or do some shady shit to retaliate, but then you'd be just as much of an ass as him.
If you make a concerted effort to ignore him and he continues to bother you like a middle school child on the playground, then you're boss should do something. It's one thing if he is being snooty or rude or unkind but so much more if he is actively disruptive on a daily basis. This is something no boss in their right mind would ignore.
>>
>>18088635
What are possible ways he can fuck with you? How much completed work do you do does he have access to? Is he copied on any emails you are in. What has he tried to do so far? Do you work with him directly as a part of your job?
>>
>>18088642
I did the management part and it has worked the best. I also have done much better work than this guy.

>>18088642
>>18088647
he can actually fuck with me a lot. i work in high tech
>>
>>18088667
I think the biggest advantage you can have is making some small comment about the concern to your boss even if it isnt a serious or formal complaint. That way at least if the shit hits the fan there is a time stamp of you trying to prevent it.
>>
>>18088667
This depends on a lot of factors then. If you were super close to management lie friends basis, you could just disclose that he really doesn't seem to like you and you worry some times he might do some thing extreme to make you look bad, maybe even so far are deleting files or cha ginger them. You could tell them he probably won't but that he seems pretty hell bent against you.

This is harder when you have just a typical arms length or distant relationship with management. I would say keep pushing to increase your relationship with them. If you have kids, show them pictures of them, ask about their family ect. This is easier to do with immediate leads and supervisors. Focusing on a great relationship with them will short curcuit most of his plans.

You could document stupid things he does and ask if they need you to go back and fix his work ect. I don't like acting like this, but it's easy for people to highlight your errors while downplaying theirs. Like if he is struggling on some project, ask management if he needs some guide nice or help because of xyz, deadlines not being met or some problems. I often have to work with errors that my lazy evil coworker does and at this point I ask my lead hiw I should fix them to make her aware that not only is this girl lazy and manipulative, but her work quality is low. I don't ham it up or anything, but use it as a defensive stance.

If you anticipate any hang ups or slowdowns on projects or work, let them know about it in advance. For example if I usually do 15 sets of input batches a day and hit a big snag, I slow down and resolve the problem and keep my manager copied on what's happening so the other girl can't just say I was lazy and dint produce my work. Her typical thing a year ago or more was two do the easiest work and identity and work that would take longer or have problems, then leave it for me. This would make me look slow and incompetent if I didn't know how to handle it.
>>
>>18088700
i think you've run into this kind of person before. yeah this is the kind of shit he does. wiping remote datastores, power cycling servers while VMs are still running.

management has been super cool and that's definitely my best route. they've been doing a lot to mitigate the situation. what's strange is that i know this guy has been btfo, but he still acts like nothing happened when he is around management
>>
Obviously also, unlike I'm doing here, quadruple check your work or better. Before you send and email, let it sit 5 minutes then re read it. Make sure you didn't misspell words or make any errors. People like this guy are sniffing for weakness. It's best to show clear work superiority above him consistently.
>>
>>18088552
You need to file a complaint immediately. Get the paper trail started that you believe he dislikes you and wants you released from the company. The sooner you get it on record, the better.
>>
>>18088711
If you see him do some shady shit like erase something, you might want to mention it to immediate sup in a non-confrontational way. Things that could damage the or in general or purposeful work sabotage should be documented and communicated to someone. I'll give you an example.

I came in one day to a note on my desktop that a deposit I remitted for the organization didn't have its corresponding file saved on our drive. When I went into excel, I could see that it was saved by the recently used/saved file names. I screen shot this. When I click on it to open it says, file not founds. Hence after it was renamed and saved, someone went on ton the drive and deleted the file in order to tell management that I didn't do part of my job. I screen shit everything involved immediately with annocdotale notes and emailed it to myself, then saved a copy. Then showed the reviewer and my lead what I saw so they understood. If the reviewer was trying to make me look dumb, it became obvious that he or someone else deleted the file and I could prove it. Then I told them, but don't worry, I will recreate the file and it shouldn't be a problem. Shitty attempt to mess with me overpowered and dominated.
>>
Lol sorry about the spelling as well, I have huge meat hook hands and tablets fuck me up with auto correct.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.