[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Public speaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3224.jpg (77KB, 648x651px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3224.jpg
77KB, 648x651px
Hey all, so I take a public speaking course at my university. My goal is to be a better public speaker, but I have a terrible anxiety problem. I can practice a speech countless times and still end up withering like a retard when I'm finally up there. I'm not the worst, but certainly not as good as some of my peers. Seriously, how can I become a better speaker? How do I shake these stupid nerves??
>>
>>18087953
The bottom line is practice
That's the point of the course

But in the mean time remember that it's just a game
You're playing a game, they're playing a game
Look at them, sitting there, not doing anything
They're playing a role
Like you are
It's like charades or anything else
Nobody there is "real"
They're all acting some way because of the circumstances
>>
>>18087953
I pubclicly speak as part of my job in a military environment.

Practice. Taking a slow, deep breath before hand helps but really the most important and only thing is practice.
>>
>>18087959
Shit anon, you're right. Maybe I should stop taking it so seriously. I'm a bit of a try hard...meanwhile those who do it effortlessly make it seem so easy. Maybe I should think of it more as a game.

I will continue to practice though. I had a speech today that went...meh. Not terrible nor profound. Rather blah. I've been beating myself up over it all night ugh. I practiced for days leading up to this moment and it was so fucking mediocre.
>>
>>18087953
well if you were good at then you wouldnt need the fuckin class

thats what the class is for, why are you even here??
>>
>>18087965
Thanks for the advice anon, I'll continue to do so! How often do you practice? And for how long?
>>
>>18087966
Everything is a game, bro
Think about that and relax
It's all just charades. No one is "real" in the workplace

When you're speaking, there's a tip I got from a professor once, speak slow as you can, then speak slower.
People like that
Nerves will make you speak fast, you'll try to slow, but that won't be enough, slow further.
The slower you are, the more confident you seem because you can measure out how just to speak
>>
>>18087968
Woah, relax anon. The class can only teach me so much. My professor doesn't lecture often, he just sorta thrusts us into weekly speeches with very little help. I shit you not.

I take the class because it is mandatory. And I am here hoping to get some advice from people who might've gone through something similar so that I can better myself. What's so difficult to understand?
>>
>>18087980
Interesting tidbit, much appreciated anon! I'll try to incorporate that into my speech next week.
>>
video yourself doing the speech, watch it, do it again, and again, and again, and again. do it like all day. every day. when it comes out good, do it exactly the same, then again and again and again, exactly the same. then when you get in front of the crowd, you have all that practice to lean on.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.