[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing 101

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 1472202281535.jpg (113KB, 724x588px) Image search: [Google]
1472202281535.jpg
113KB, 724x588px
How do authors on /adv/ start writing their stories? Do you just start free writing, or do you brainstorm and plan everything out very carefully? I have to write a few short stories within a few months, which I've never done before. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>18087618
You just need to start somewhere. I was told that I had great writing skills in school already, so writing has always been easy for me.
>>
>>18087618

for me its a little different every time. sometimes ideas just come rushing out and you HAVE to do it, other times it takes more percalating.

for me it starts with the idea, i have to know exactly what the big hook is, which usually revolves around the ending.

then i step back and think about whats the most important character journey in relation to that. if i know how it ends then i have to think, how does it start?

then i have to think, how many steps does it take to get to that ending? i write those down, but they always grow, shrink or change as more ideas come or old ideas stop seeming to fit.

then i try outlining, i know a lot of people use this beat sheet:
https://timstout.wordpress.com/story-structure/blake-snyders-beat-sheet/

but not every story uses those beats exactly as you see them or at least not in that particular order. its great if you dont know where to start, but if certain details need to be moved around in time, don't be afraid.

once i have an outline i usually shop it around to friends who weigh in, as the outline is often not entirely complete.

for instance im working on a new idea for a mini series, and for the first episode i had most of the episode ready to write and even began drafting, but it was missing a big piece, the set up for the future episodes formula. i shopped it to friends and i actually came up with the missing piece myself, but being able to dialogue with people about it is what filled in the gap. talking to people tends to help even if you're an independent person. but if you dont have anyone to talk to feel free to talk to yourself, just do it out loud, or try writing out summaries.

anyways, once i have a completed outline i break that into acts and start writing one act at a time. sometimes i jump around in time and fill in gaps later but im generally pretty straight forward.
>>
It depends what you call writing. If you are content with just some concepts, scattered plot points and such, just take note as inspiration arrive and develop as you can.
If you actually want to get through the whole process beginning until the end, you have to study a lot.
Both about writing and about the topic you are writing about. You ought to study style, language, structure, how to captivate, deux ex machina. And then people's behavior to make your characters coherent / believable. Once you have the structure together, the inspiration will eventually come to you and the story will write itself as you observe in your mind how do the characters would go by their daily lives as you add conflicts to guide them in the direction you want.
TL;DR Study and it will come to you
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.