[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to have a low-key wedding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Y7K2uER.jpg (69KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Y7K2uER.jpg
69KB, 960x960px
My boyfriend proposed, and I said yes* (I am female for reference), but it means we're going to have to get married at some point. His family is very pro-social gathering, so it's not like we can get away with just eloping without social drama. I'm sure he wants a wedding too...

I like looking at wedding pictures and planning things, but I absolutely despise the thought of my own. Here's why:
-I don't want to be the center of attention as 'the bride' and have garbage self-esteem
-I hate dresses, especially wedding dresses
-Caterers, photographers, and venues overcharge for everything because it's your 'once in a lifetime' wedding
-I think having to prove your monogamy and the historical basis for weddings is dumb (ie religion and basically taking on a woman as property)

How can I suck it up and just give them their wedding?

*I think having to propose is lame in the first place, though he's traditional when it comes to those stereotypical relationship milestones-so I realize it means a lot to him and am trying to come to terms with the process.
**I realize this all sounds really self-centered, but I did this on purpose, as I feel like it's all on me (ie planning/hosting/etc).
>>
File: image000002.jpg (128KB, 918x689px) Image search: [Google]
image000002.jpg
128KB, 918x689px
>>18084226

ask him for a non traditional wedding.

keep it to literally just friends and family, and make it a pot luck bbq type deal. do it in a bcakyard or at the park, or on the beach (i saw a beach wedding while walking by, took pic related) and it was awesome.

basically if you hae to ahve aparty, throw a party but make it the kind of party you'd want to attend. and if people say 'well you shoudl do this' the final answer will always be 'no, its my wedding'.

if people want to bring you 'social consequences' up then tell them you dont care.

just brush it off.
>>
>>18084226
Talk with him.
>>
>>18084240
I have tried to, but here's how it goes:

Me: Idk if I want to have a wedding.
Him: But I bought you this shiny rock, and and I love you, and my family will be really excited...

And then I just feel pure guilt and give up because I don't want to break down about it.
>>
>>18084267

it sounds like you shouldn't be getting married at all desu.

but if you insist upon it, then throw a really simple bbq, wear something you like to wear and enjoy it. do it your way. and if he complains then say 'okay then lets just not have a wedding cuz whats the point if we wont enjoy it'
>>
>>18084239
I've tried suggesting the potluck thing, but my bf/fiance felt it would be tacky and he would rather have people bring gifts than food.

I've never really hosted any social gatherings (or been to ones I considered enjoyable), so I am not sure what people like other than making things look nice and making it easy for them to hang out together.
>>
>>18084239
PS - that's a neat photo and the carnival silhouettes are awesome.
>>
>>18084297
>>18084321

those arent silhouettes, thats an actual pier in the distance with rides and shit, this was taken by santa monica pier.

>excuses

heres the thing, you can complain on an advice forum, or you can put your foot down.

no matter what we advise you insist on being a victim who cant change peopels minds and must do what everyone else says.

so either give into that (and stop complaining) or put your foot down, show your boyfriend this thread and explain why this is a shitty situation.
>>
>>18084226
how about an outdoors wedding in a nice place in the summer. you can ask family to help set up.
>>
>>18084226
I once heard the wedding is never about the couple who is getting married, it's about everyone else there.
>>
>>18084327
My bad-I never thought they weren't real-I just thought it was called a silhouette when it makes the dark outline in the back like that.

I thought this forum was 1/2 vent life problems 1/2 confront life problems(?). I am sorry if this seems like a waste of your time-your comments do mean a lot and are helpful in making sense of things.
>>
>>18084387

sure but even with that logic you're still doing more than 1/2 venting, you insist htat no answer will work because oyu want to pussy foot around because 'social consequences!'

apparently the man you want to marry can't even understand that you dont care if somethings tacky.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.