[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about therapy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 26CONS-tmagArticle.jpg (47KB, 592x370px) Image search: [Google]
26CONS-tmagArticle.jpg
47KB, 592x370px
So I've been really unhappy with myself about a lot of stuff, I have no friends, my job sucks, i'm uncomfortable about my sexuality and my secret fetish life. I can't enjoy going out with friends anymore or more hobbies, so I was told that maybe i should consider going to a therapist. So I heard that I have to talk to my doctor first, whats the best way to go about asking to see a therapist? Should I tell them everything thats bothering me as well? Theres some stuff I want to talk about only with a therapist, as I want an unbiased opinion on certain things.
>>
>>18083012
Therapy is a big industry for a reason, a lot of people use it. Talk to your doctor, ask their recommendations for your area and call your insurance to see what is or isn't covered. Good luck anon!
>>
>>18083012
I'm not sure about talking to your doctor, but I think you could just walk to therapist without counseling to a doctor first. Things might be different if you want it to be covered by insurance, but I don't know well.

I have an uncle who just went to therapist like that. It seems that what he needed was to vent out and let out his "secrets" to another person who wouldn't go and spread it to public. If that was all he needed of course, a professional therapist did the job, but what's the difference with just posting in /adv/ or 4chan in general?

You might get "fake and gay" or helpful responses, but at least you get to vent out your feelings and secrets.
>>
>>18083012
You can also do confessionals at a church if you're feeling thrifty
>>
>>18083027
Yea, thanks for reminding me. I haven't gone to church in ages. No wonder i feel miserable.

Used to confess lots of shit like masturbating to stolen underwear to the priests. He just made me pray hail mary few times. Insta feel good after that session.
>>
In my experience, family practice doctors will just tell you something in the line of "nah, you're fine, just go to the gym" if you complain on issues like those.

Now, I've gone to three psychologists and four psychiatrists in a span of over 10 years, and psychologists were much better when it came to psychotherapy, conversing and actually listening to you.

Psychiatrists use meds as a main method of treating any issues, psychotherapy is completely secondary to them. The conversation will mainly revolve around raising or lowering the dosage and seeing how you respond to it. They will hardly even listen to anything else you say.
>>
>>18083102

So I should try for a psychologist instead of a psychiatrist then?
>>
>>18083372
Depends. Both can help.

If you go for therapy instead of drugs, get a CBT or a Gestalt therapist. Psychoanalysis is esoteric bullshit that only establishes a co-dependency for years instead of actually trying to cure you like the other two.

As well I second the Confession proposal, or even better additionally good pastoral care. In catholic parishes it usually is free as well.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.