[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uni issues megathread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5

File: pence3.jpg (26KB, 605x328px) Image search: [Google]
pence3.jpg
26KB, 605x328px
Gonna start with mine in no particular order

>be me
>live on campus at college
>fairly facially attractive and can carry on a conversation fairly well
>stay in room all day except when I'm cooking in the kitchen
>on good speaking terms with a lot of people but no real friends
>don't really like spending money so I don't go out drinking a lot
>ego varies between being really high and incredibly insecure

I feel like I could be doing so much more but I'm not, if people could weigh in that'd be awesome
>>
There's this qt i like but i feel she only talks to me cause shes nice
>>
>>18081545
What sort of stuff do you do with her anon?
>>
>>18081561
Just chat in class about our classes, i dotnt ever suggest that i like her romantically,

I am going to study ahead, and ask her if she needs help with an assignment so i have the excuse to talk to her out of class, or at least get her number
>>
>>18081495
>want to go to grad school
>have no research experience
>apply for URA positions, and no one wants me
>Don't go to office hours

How do I woo professors for recommendations, my coursework is pretty legit.
>>
>>18081810
Good grades alone aren't enough for grad school. Why aren't you going to office hours and schmoozing up to your professors?
>>
>>18081813
I dont know how to schmooze, also anxiety
>>
>>18081814
Just talk to them, they're people too. And when you're in grad school, you're expected to talk to and have a working relationship with your professors. Grow some balls and push yourself out of your comfort zone, because the world isn't going to hand you everything on a silver platter. You have to go out and get what you want yourself.
>>
>>18081817
>get out of your comfort zone
but it is sooooo comfy here,
>>
>>18081824
Then don't go to grad school, or get anything out of life.
>>
>>18081824
Life is all about getting out of your comfort zone anon
>>
I want to go to this Frat party tonight, but none of my mates are telling me if they're going, even though they said they wanted to go out with me again this weekend.

Should I just try to go by myself? I know some of the people who are going to be there, so I guess I'll have people to interact with
>>
>>18081977
Please someone answer
>>
>>18081977
If you're on speaking terms with some of the people there then definitely go, try to get a bit tipsy beforehand so you're not quite as reserved (if this is already an issue)
>>
Hey guys just after some advice on dropping out of University. I’m a 18 year old Female who has just started my course at a University 10 hours away from my home, I am staying in Uni accommodation which is structured like flatting but in a big apartment building and you live in a 5 bedroom flat. My flatmates have been alright so far but I don’t believe I really click with them and we all live pretty separately. I have made a couple of friends here and there but we have very different interests (They don’t really like to party/ have fun) and they are all doing a different course from me. Ever since arriving I have been feeling a deep depression which has never really occurred in the past as I consider myself a pretty happy person, I haven’t been eating, constant feelings of sadness and crying, feelings of complete loneliness. The only time I have felt happy/ met new people is when I’m drunk at parties. I understand that it is also a mix of homesickness as well because I am very much a home body and love my family with all of my heart and I absolutely love every aspect of my hometown also my amazing friends who didn’t move away like me. My area of study is Photography (I know I’m an idiot) I thought this was my passion, but after getting here I have realised that I don’t like the way the course is laid out and most of the stuff i could have done at home/ have already been doing at home (I actually work as a photographer and videographer in my hometown). The degree is useless towards my passion but I think I had this unrealistic view of university about how fun it would be and felt very forced into going because I won an amazing scholarship through my school. I’m very much stuck at the moment I’m thinking of seeing how things go over the next few weeks and if I still hate it I will leave to go back home which my family support me either way Is this a good idea?Have any of you left Uni/college and how did it turn out?
>>
>>18082495
Homesickness for the first month or so leaving home is fairly normal. There's generally pastoral support/senior residents on every floor (at least all of the colleges/dorms at my university) who are trained and able to help out with this. Talking it over with them should help you out a lot (definitely did for me) and also bear in mind that a lot of people are probably going through the same things you are.

So I wouldn't leave, at least for now
>>
>>18081495
>second year of masters degree
>currently writing research proposal
>supervisor has returned it three times now saying it's crap, basically
>every time she's returned it I've reworked it significantly and followed all of her corrections, and it's still not good
>know it's really nice of her to be taking such an active interest in my work and giving such detailed feedback
>still feel like shit about it
>feel like I'm letting her down and she's disappointed in me
>doing a fourth rewrite right now, it's 9pm and I wanted to have it emailed to her by tomorrow morning so she can look it over one more time before the hard deadline on Wednesday
>every time I look at it I get overcome with anxiety and want to cry
>procrastinating as a result

What do?

Also,
>have EDNOS
>lose 10kg in two months by restricting and exercising a lot
>stress from this proposal means I haven't stopped fucking binging this whole week, and no time for exercise
>I fucked up the only thing in my life that was actually going well because of this

And this is only going to get worse with the actual thesis. I'm clearly not cut out for this.
>>
Advice to everyone: unless you are a woman or you want to join a frat, don't go to frat parties
>>
>>18082495
>>18081495
Are you me? Particularily similar to OP. College is supposed to be the best time of my life right? So far I've had shitty classes, a boring daily routine and I've no friends to speak of. Every day I sit on my computer because I have nothing else to do. I just procrastinate and feel sorry for myself. Everyone here seems full of themselves and very few people seem to want to talk to me. Maybe I'm just an uninteresting person.

I don't even know what I want to do with my life, I'm just an unemployable kid with no control or resolve and I'm nothing but a suck on resources to my parents.

I had to lie to my dad when he came to visit, I told him he would'nt meet any of my friends because they were all busy.

I never thought I could get depressed like this, my life feels hopeless.

Fuck
>>
>>18082675
You could join a club and try to assimilate
>>
What am I even supposed to do with my life? I'm only in college because I want to make money and I came from a wealthy family.

I don't fit in here, I'm a naiive idealistic emotional idiot who's outlook on life can go from elated to empty withing a few hours.

I just want to know what I'm supposed to work for. I can't even articulate how I feel.
>>
>>18082684
Work for money so you can buy things that make you happy. The kind of people that say money doesn't buy happiness are super rich, poor, or chronically depressed. Reach for a salary where you can go out to a restaurant and not think twice about the guac being extra
>>
Is buying alcohol for casual drinking a y/n in uni?
>>
>>18082721
Always a y unless you're a square
>>
>>18082721
Definitely

[spoiler]I live in Australia and can't get cheap booze, someone help me out[/spoiler]
>>
>>18082837
>I live in Australia and can't get cheap anything, someone help me out
fixed
>>
>>18081495
Are you ever the one who suggests "Why don't we all go to the new movie this weekend?" or the like?

If you don't reach out to them, they'll get the impression that YOU don't like THEM, and they'll respect your choice by leaving you alone.
>>
File: vegeta.gif (2MB, 375x195px) Image search: [Google]
vegeta.gif
2MB, 375x195px
>>18082850
>>
How the fuck do i stop procrastinating
Every single day this happens
>Finish lectures/classes
>Just use phone to shitpost here for an hour
>Start playing Vidya or some stupid shit while ignoring work
>Keep pushing back when I decide to do work (ie. Say I'll do it at 7 and then at 7:05 I decide 8 instead)
>Actually do work and it's not that bad, way easier than I thought
>Feel shitty because I was stressed while playing vidya and didn't get to relax all day
>>
>>18082927
The way I did it was to book study rooms for the whole week
I would always go because if I didn't, I would feel guilty that somebody else could have used the room for the allotted time

Make your friends hold yourself accountable, that's another way
>>
>Need to literally ace the rest of the year to stay in school
>Still haven't kicked my weed habit
Shit lads, what do?
>>
>>18082941
If you need to "literally" ace the year, retake the classes
Just stop smoking weed, you aren't addicted
>>
I feel like the op. I'm a little on the socially awkward side. I'm on good terms with a lot of people in my classes but never do anything with them. I'm a boring fuck, all I do is work, read or Vidya. I have no productive or interesting hobbies.
>>
File: F-15E.jpg (839KB, 2100x1341px) Image search: [Google]
F-15E.jpg
839KB, 2100x1341px
>>18082943
I don't really need to ace everything, but I need to get a B in this really difficult CS class that I've already missed some assignments for because of retardation at the beginning of the semester. I've got my shit together now somewhat, but I'm worried about what's going to happen. I hope there's a decent curve, because this fear of screwing up in this class is spilling into my other classes which are all easy.
>>
>>18082984
Everytime I've been afraid that things were going to be awful, my grades turned out fine. I usually underestimated what my semester grade was going to be, and I'm going to graduate above a 3 so

Yeah, stress about it a little, but don't let it cripple your health or work ethic
>>
>>18082981
What do you.consider unproductive/uninteresting hobbies?
>>
How do I stay motivated? How do i stop procrastination?

Like I want this degree but I can't stay motivated to study and do work. Not to mention I get test anxiety. I keep procrastinating and putting things off. How do I get over this shit?
>>
>>18082721
Having a drink with your pals is one thing. Getting all "YEAHHH I'M TOTALLY SMASHED, DELTA SIG BRAH" is another. A casual drink now and then is pretty comfy, imo.
>>
>>18083476
Discipline is better than motivation honestly. Find a study pattern that works and stick to it
>>
>want to move onto campus & be full time student so I can fucking graduate in 2 years
>part time student with full time job, live at home
>can't get loan cosigner

What do? Am I just forced to be a part-time student and graduate when I'm like 26 or what? I would just commute to a school, but I think with the gas costs that's not even cheaper than living on campus.
>>
>>18084455
Can you get parents to help out with funding at all?
>>
>>18084469
Nah, my parents won't help me out at all. If they would even co-sign my loan, I'd be fine, but they're not and I don't have good credit.
>>
>>18084469
They won't even cosign him and you think they're going to pay for him to go to college?

>>18084455
Just grind it out. It doesn't sound like you have any real solution. Not everyone gets to experience the "college life", but it's okay. Hopefully you will get a nice job in the future, and can fund your hobbies and interests.
>>
>>18084482
I'll be honest, I plan to have an enjoyable career after college, but part of me feels like I will always regret not living le college life with cute white girls everywhere and college football games and shit.
>>
>>18081495
I'm a sophomore in electrical engineering. Is it too late for me to get involved in undergraduate research?

I want to have some research under my belt if I go to grad school. I've tried looking for a research mentor before but the material in the papers I read usually goes way over my head, and I feel unqualified.
>>
>>18084493
It is not too late and in fact you would be ahead of the game. Reach out to some professors and talk to them about their work. They don't expect you to know shit at that level. Papers are difficult to read even for grad students, so don't let it get you down too much.
>>
>>18081495
bumping for personal issues assistance
>>
>>18084493
Go for it. Research experience looks really great on job applications, especially if you can get it published

> I've tried looking for a research mentor before but the material in the papers I read usually goes way over my head, and I feel unqualified.
Not a STEM major, but I did a research project in my field and this was exactly how I felt when I first started. At my first meeting with my supervisor, half of what he said went over my head. You'll get the hang of it, and if you don't understand something, it's your supervisor's or mentor's job to help you understand and to clarify things for you, so don't be afraid to ask for help. They're not expecting you to be an expert in the field.
>>
>>18084622
>They're not expecting you to be an expert in the field.
Second this, when I was starting out the best advice I ever got was to only ever skim papers for the key points until you get a hang of the field. In engineering, this usually means what the paper wanted to address, how it did so, and what the presented metric / equation is. Everything else is interesting filler.
>>
>>18082681
Clubs are all shit tho
Sure there are a lot, but there's none I want to go to
>>
>>18084502
Professors are really hard to approach, even in office hours I find it difficult to just rock up
>>
>>18085018
Then email them and make an appointment.
>>
>go to tutorials
>take notes
>go home
>repeat

No friends after two years REEEEEEEE
>>
>>18085817
You don't talk to people...?
>>
>>18085833
I make small talk during lecture breaks but that's about it, I'm probably also not an interesting person
>>
I'm a physics major and I chose it on a whim, it's my first semester and I don't know what I want to do. I don't want to mess up and stay in a major that may not interest me or be impossible to actually progress in. I know nothing about research or grad school and had my illusions shattered in the last few weeks. I feel totally lost. I thought I was just going to come here and learn science. I've never had any practical educational or career advice other than "it's important for you to do good so you get into a good school" now I'm here and I have no idea what direction to take.
>>
>>18085926
Is there a course guide on your uni website?
>>
>>18085970
I believe so, but I wouldn't know what to look for in it.
>>
i fucking hate this city and nearly everybody in it
whenever family ask all i have to say is "yeah uni's alright", i don't have any cool stories or anything to share at all; the most interesting thing that has happened all year was when someone tried to rob me

i never made friends with or even properly introduced myself to my flatmates at the start of the year because anxiety was kicking my ass so now i just avoid them altogether. i don't use the kitchen and haven't spoken to any of them, much less seen most of them for weeks

aside from that i'm slowly using this time to work on my anxiety and depression but also sadly realizing how little i have in common with anyone and constantly thinking about what my life would be like anywhere else
>>
>>18085833
I'm in a similar position. I work with people, I have some people I interact with on a regular basis. But it's all strictly related to class, I have no idea how you're supposed to shift from "let's do the project on [insert date]" to "let's hang out".
>>
First year of university
> Live in the dorms
> Talk to people on my hall during the first two weeks
> Stop talking to anyone because friendships and cliques are formed
> Attend lecture, take notes, come back to my dorm, and study
> Rise and repeat
> Think to myself, "I'll meet some cool people in clubs that interests me"
> Attend my first club meeting
> Everyone already knows everyone, and there are various social groups in this small club
> Sit in the back for 1 hour thinking to myself how difficult it is to try and make friends
> Back to my mundane life
Second year of university
> Living in an apartment with one roommate
> Don't talk to my roommate at all
> We speak no more than 50 words to each other in any given week
> Sometimes I don't even see my roommate, even though we are home every single day
> My roommate "times" whenever he goes out-- when I'm in my room, he comes out to get his food quickly
> If I'm making food, he never comes out until I'm done with everything-- eating, washing dishes, etc.
>>
>>18086041
Midway through second year of university
> My family are aware how bad I am at all of this
> My brother gives me his car (beater)
> I can't even drive yet, but it's a nice gesture
> Wants me to "go out more on the weekends with my friends" instead of playing videogames all day
> I don't even play videogames
> .. No one understands...
> ... $12k in debt and I will probably drop out to become a paramedic
>>
File: 1485670966591.jpg (237KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485670966591.jpg
237KB, 1280x960px
How to start getting grills?

Need babby steps pls.

Do I join more societies?
How do I approach without being labelled weird or creepy?
>>
>>18086627
>How to start getting grills?
lower your standards and talk to as many as you can
joining societies is generally a good idea full stop but it's a good way to find girls with similar interests, which will make conversations a lot easier
>How do I approach without being labelled weird or creepy?
don't be weird or a creep. easier said than done but the key is to look presentable and show confidence
>>
will a therapist/anti-depressants help with motivation or am I fucked?
>>
>>18087242
definitely go see a therapist for the start just to get diagnosed
>>
be 12
>start feeling sick - autism-like, fevers, fatigue, brain fog, stupidity
>gets worse over 4 years
>drop out of high school
>get GED
>start community college
>still sick, but have a 3.9 GPA, controlling my symptoms
>been in for almost two years, will have to stay in another to transfer due to starting out slow because of illness

that's the premise and here's what I need help with

>currently a double major in economics and history
>I'm very confident I can transfer into UC Berkeley / UCLA / other decent schools
>Disillusioned with school
>literally want to prepare myself for the racewar
>look into Army/Marines ROTC
>with my GPA and extracurriculars, a good score on the SAT or ACT means I have a good shot at getting into West Point or the USNA
>only thing is you have to start over from year one

I just don't know if I want to stay in school and get some normie, high-paying job after business school, do ROTC, or try to get into a military academy to actually feel fulfilled (xd)
What would be the best long-term choice?
Am I being a retard for having any major in history, would it be better to swap that out for something else if I decide to go to a regular college?

But yeah what I'm TRYING to say is, it would take me 7 years to get a BS/BA from an academy, only 5 from another scholol, and I could get a second degree done as well, likely.

I understand the USNA has certain programs where you could get a masters immediately after in only one year, so that helps a little bit, but I'm already behind so I just don't know what to do :- DD
>>
>>18081810
What year are you in? This is really something you need to start developing no later than your sophomore year. That's when you start building relationships with professors.

Also, go to department talks and conferences to network. Ask your professors the best way to get involved.

What subject?
>>
>me, maths degree
>start uni, confident high grades
>stop going to lectures as much
>still got them grades tho
>slowly go to fewer and fewer lectures
>get into second year
>motivation is low
>spend most of my time in bed, rarely asleep
>start hearing voices and seeing shit
>get super depressed
>pass end of year exams somehow
>in third year now
>been to about 4 lectures since september
>became more reclusive, only really see my housemates, rarely leave the house
>stop eating, no appetite
>start self harming
>eventually I don't even leave my room
>start seeing a shrink
>on antidepressants, urge to an hero is strong
>constantly pushing back delusional thoughts/paranoia
>constant existential crisis
>too scared to talk to anyone about this other than shrink
>mfw I go home and all my family talks about is how my uni is going
>mfw I constantly lie and say it's okay

Coming quickly to "graduation", waiting for parents disappointment when they find out I don't study anymore. How to tell parents stress has driven you mad?

Not to mention huge debt amounting to nothing...
>>
>>18086037
>>18085902
This is how I made friends
>chat to someone briefly before/after class
>have a good conversation and both of you enjoy it
>run into them while waiting for class or around campus
>say hi and talk to them
>repeat until you've established a friendship
>>
>month and a half in
>falling behind in almost all my classes
>exams starting to pile up
I feel like I'm drowing

more importantly though,

>have part time job
>qt cashier
>can't tell if she likes me
>want to ask her out
>other qt in nearby department
>find out she has a boyfriend yesterday, instantly feel like heart is sinking into floor then suddenly, nothing
>another qt cashier had her last day today
>should've felt sad, or something
>felt nothing

how the fuck do I make myself feel again? for the past 2 days I've just felt numb

when I laugh with my friends it makes it go away temporarily but I always go back to a completely blank and emotionless shell. I should be sad, or even angry, but I'm just placid

what's wrong with me lads
>>
>>18088580
What are you studying? Why are you studying it? What else do you have going on in your life? How many hours are you working?
>>
>>18088595

MechEng

I'm studying it because I want to work on/develop cars, motorcycles, mechanical stuff in general
my real goal is outlandish, make my own car company and build supercars

just school and work

~20 a week
>>
File: fithoop-model-pink-side.jpg (99KB, 769x432px) Image search: [Google]
fithoop-model-pink-side.jpg
99KB, 769x432px
>>18082495
I recommend that instead of doing a degree in something you're already competent in, you do it in something that complements that skill. Consider switching your degree to something else like business management or event planning or filmography or something.

Otherwise, partying is cool but hobbies are even cooler and give a sense of purpose and are something you can enjoy working at getting better at. Try spending time doing things you haven't tried before, like rock climbing or a goddamn hula hoop class. Something will stick and you'll feel more confident because there will be more to you than just 'college party girl'. The more active the hobby the better - exercise and depression don't go together after all.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.