[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When is time to give up on a childhood dream?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 1485523532974.jpg (78KB, 444x460px) Image search: [Google]
1485523532974.jpg
78KB, 444x460px
When is time to give up on a childhood dream?
>>
>>18081111

death

also nice quads
>>
When you die?
Why would you give up anon?
>>
>>18081111
Not sure. I still have the same one I did as a child. I work towards it but don't expect it. That's about the best you can do.
>>
>>18081134
>>18081146
I wanted to make games since I was 15, but after realizing how hard it is (I've tried to make games) I want to move on.
>>
I'm working on a childhood dream right now OP. Giving up on the norm and going for it. Let me give you some advice.

You need to get to the point where you casually believe it's possible and become totally indifferent to any obstacles or issues that get in your way. And not see any obstacles or issues as any indication that your dream won't happen. Because it's not true. If anything gives you any difficulty just distance yourself emotionally and just calmly say to yourself "I know this is happening right now. But it has no bearing on whether or not my dream will come true. I know it will come true."

You can choose to live your childhood dream or live a life you don't want. They both require work. So if you're going to work, go work for the life you want. Makes no sense to do otherwise. The life you want isn't harder. It's just different and something you have to get into the habit of working towards.

There is no reason why your dream wouldn't come true if you were pursuing it. Of course it can come true. Don't put it on a pedestal. It is something you can casually obtain if you just put aside the time to casually work for it.

Go find people trying to do the same thing and form a support hobby group. Motivation and progress will increase significantly when you find friends working on the same thing with you.

Do not listen to anybody that tells you to give up and play it safe. They don't realize how safe it is to live the life you want. Seeing it as this risky venture is a logical fallacy.
>>
>>18081149

>but im lazy so im giving up on a dream

no, you're giving up on a passing fancy.
>>
>>18081153
is really hard to do all that is needed to do a game and most indie guys live on the survivor fallacy.

I think maybe I should move on from that dream, not a big deal, maybe I could focus on something easier to acomplish.
>>
>>18081149
Focus on taking baby steps to learn how to do it. Don't learn more at a time than is comfortable for you. In this way you'll be learning how to do it in a way that is comfortable and manageable for you.

There will be a point where you will know how to do this and you'll have a much better intuition on what you want to do and how to do it. It just seems hard and difficult right now. Eventually it will be enjoyable for every step of the way.

Find more people into this who can motivate and work with you on this.
>>
>>18081157
I dunno, I've been trying to make games since 2010 and I've learned a lot of shit, but I don't think I'm cut to make games.

Right now I want to move on from games (for several reasons) and become maybe a writer, maybe I should work towards becoming a composer.

You know dreams that are more realistic for a single guy.
>>
>>18081156

>not a big deal

then its not a dream, again its just a passing fancy. dreams arent things you give up on because 'its really hard to do all that is needed to do a game'.
>>
>>18081162
It's been a dream since I was 15 (I'm 27 now).

I have more than one dream anon.

I've been wanting to learn to write and make music in the late months, and seems easier to make than games.
>>
File: 1485304805496.png (81KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
1485304805496.png
81KB, 400x397px
>>18081167

uh huh.
>>
Op wants to make video games, Start with learning flash animation. If you can get a handle on that, adding action script code and connecting scenes is all you need to learn for a basic web based game.
>>
>>18081183
OP here.

I've done games with game maker, unity and libgdx.

problem isn't to make them, you need to beat the best game of your genre to be considered good.

gamers are too entitled to games and a lot will pirate or even call shit your game if you don't have professional art.

basically your only option to make money as an indie is to beat AAA companies with hundreds of employees at making games.

>inb4 undertale minecraft or other indies
survivor bias.
>>
File: 1453656416278.jpg (25KB, 348x343px) Image search: [Google]
1453656416278.jpg
25KB, 348x343px
My dream was being an astrophysicist when I was a child. Now, I wish to work in video games or as a sysadmin. A shitload of very hurtful events throughout my life, and the paranoid schizophrenia which I consequently developed kind of lowered my expectations.

What's worse, is that everyone starts fearing you or instead lashing out or suspecting you as soon as you tell them that you have a serious mental illness, even if you manage to cope with it. The sad truth is that more schizophrenics are victims of violence than perpetrators. My granddad had it, and he got killed in a in a mental hospital (he ran around naked apparently and got beaten to death for that).

Please know this dear brothers, that real suffering is not known. I had to fake being well just to get out of hospital, and then with time and treatment I indeed became more stable mentally.
>>
>>18081192

>make shitty phone games
>get some artist friends
>Faster Than Light is prime example
>>
>>18081227
>he thinks there's money in videogames
>le minecraft example
>>
>>18081236

You don't know of people making money on phone games?
>>
>>18081241
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/03/01/why-its-scary-when-0-15-mobile-gamers-bring-in-50-of-the-revenue/#1488f3714065
>>
>>18081246

What am I supposed to get out of this, did you even read the article?

>If 0.15% of players are responsibly for 50% of mobile revenue, that equates to a lot of regular people spending serious cash on these games. The people I hear most often spending themselves into oblivion after getting hopelessly addicting to these games are bored middle-aged women and depressed college kids. Is there anything owed to people like this? Or can they simply do what they want?
>>
>>18081266
It means the only way to make money on mobile is by scamming people of their game adictions.

It doesn't mean good games, but actual scams.

not very good if you want to make good games.
>>
>>18081271

Oh, you are one of those "I am too moral" to make money type of people.

Keep in mind, if you don't milk them, someone else will.
>>
>>18081278
Not really, there's not value on such games.

Is basically skyner boxes.

I didn't grew on such garbage, so I don't wanna make that garbage.

I would love to make actual games people may care about.
>>
>>18081282

What did you grow up on? Again, look at fucking Faster Than Light. There are plenty of other examples, I just don't play anymore, so I can't name them.

There are other indy RPGs and games like Frozen Synapse that have made enough money to live on.

Sounds like you are making excuses to me.

Go work for a fucking dev company if you just want to make games. There are companies hiring from AI competitions.
>>
>>18081289
SNES and N64.

What's wrong with growing up from certain things?

I also used to love anime when I was a teenager, does this mean my weeb dream games are worthy?
>>
>>18081296

>SNES and N64.

Oh god.

>What's wrong with growing up from certain things?

Growing up and giving up on your dreams are two different things.

>I also used to love anime when I was a teenager, does this mean my weeb dream games are worthy?

If they are good weeb games.
>>
>>18081306
Not really, is not a sudden shit, is been months.

I'm more interested now in music and literature than videogames.
>>
>>18081111
>>18081149
Your dream is stupid; don't give up on your dreams, but get better ones.
>>
>>18081382
that's what I'm trying to say anon.
thanks.
>>
>>18081111
bump for op's hopes and dreams
>>
File: 1476984863617.jpg (69KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
1476984863617.jpg
69KB, 500x499px
>>18081156
Every inch of my being desperately wants to make a game. To finally give something to this community I've been apart of for years, and to maybe help someone like me get absorbed into a game so they can be transported away from their problems and just for a little while, have extreme amounts of fun.

Op that's my dream. It may be the same as yours, but it sounds like you don't want it enough. Are you sure it's something you really, really want to pursue ? If not, find the thing that is your dream
>>
>>18081149
I'm 30, have no experience, and just started a videogame company with a friend. Just take the risk if you want to fulfill your dream.
>>
>>18082777
So make a game. Don't paralyze yourself by needing it to be perfect or you never start. Make something short and fun, cult game as a hobby, release it for free and keep doing it. Build a following and your skills through practice and maybe get somewhere.
>>
>>18081149
Can you code, design characters, draw background s and animate?
>>
>>18081111
I only dream about memes
>>
So I kind of never had a dream and never wanted to be anything. I don't have anything I want to do and am just waiting for death more or less.
How do I fix this?
>>
File: sad_frog.jpg (18KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
sad_frog.jpg
18KB, 600x384px
>tfw 23 year old high school drop out
>want to go to university
>>
>>18081111
Op if you are still here do you realize that barely anyone makes a game that sells or gets any kind of track before they are 30 right?
I mean there is Toby fox who also worked on Homestuck way before but even he had to spend 3 years learning to make undertale and chances are if he keeps learning and working the games be makes in 15 years will be so good it won't matter what he did first on when he started
Men peak at 35, to me that's 11 years from now
>>
>>18084241
Dawg, I'm a 24 year old high school drop out and going back to school this summer semester to get my EMT license. Then I'm going to get all my pre-reqs for nursing school starting in the fall semester. THEN I'm going to nursing school and then CRNA school once I have all the pre-reqs I need for that. I probably won't be finished until I'm in my early to mid 30s.

Point being, it's never too late to go back to school. If you're worried about not getting in, there's pleanty of time to go to a CC and get the pre-reqs you need etc. to get into the uni you would like.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.