[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on the pursuit of medical school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: Medical School.jpg (756KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Medical School.jpg
756KB, 1500x1000px
I think I kind of messed up my GCE A levels such that I've got a BBB for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. However, I'm still keen on taking up medicine, I've read up on possible options like taking up Biomedical science first year in New Zealand universities like University of Auckland and Otago, or even taking up a medicine foundation year in Australia in places like Sydney, Melbourne and Newcastle(haven't considered on which yet).

I have been in the crossroads of whether if this is for me or not. Whether after all this I'm even cut out for this. I have volunteered many weeks in clinics and hospitals and found the work really something I like, I like the intellectual challenge in the form of solving problems with the variety of symptoms and tests to give the proper diagnosis and hence the proper prescriptions, and I have sat through some light surgeries and found it tedious yet interesting. And I do have the drive to help the less fortunate people and be at a position of easing the suffering of those that are sick and in pain.

On the front of the workload when it comes to being in medical school, I have talked to medical students that have been on their rounds in the hospital. The workload is high I would give it that, but I'm sure that I would live through it and see the day I graduate. I know that this is what I want to do, and I have thought about it over many months, and I know that it would cost my family quite a big sum of money and that is a reason for me to stick to the very end and graduate.

I hope you fellow doctors, medical students and even university student could give me some advice on this. I'm 18 now, and I'm about to decide on something that will decide my very future and I don't have many chances to fail as a failure now can be expensive.
>>
>>18077808
bump
>>
>>18077808
I dont know what GCE A levels are or BBB's for that matter. To be honest I know nothing of foreign medical programs. But currently in amerifat I'm about to graduate with my bachelors in biochemistry. I dont know how people go on to med school. It takes so much money to do the tests, redos, study programs for it and such. Then on top of that your loans will start to kick in if you dont immediately get accepted. Then you have to pay for all the interview flights, hotels, etc.

>takes like 12 years (undergrad, med school, residency, licencing.)
>costs like ~60-80k for all the schooling and thats for okay schools
>have to throw everything you love doing out the window to focus on just med school

Its a lot of work, its a lot of money, it means kissing goodbye fun and relaxing at all. Look into PA, nursing, and PT for similar but easier paths if this is too much for you.

As for advice right now, study hard for everything, talk to counselors about what you need to be doing at every step. Make sure you get A's everywhere you can.
>>
>>18077944
Yea I know I fucked up. I'm just seeing what options I have at the moment.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.