[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harvard Law and debt, or a huge scholarship?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: imgres.png (6KB, 120x144px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.png
6KB, 120x144px
Should I go $250,000 into debt for a Harvard Law degree, or take a prestigious $180,000 scholarship at another school which is almost as good? In either case I can reasonably expect to make $180,000 out of school, but I might have a better network if I go to Harvard.
>>
>math major
>any job i want
>300k starting
>>
>-250 or +180-???
Bitch how are we supposed to tell you anything.
>>
>>18076060

>> retarded at math
>> an english major that doesn't want to brew coffee for life
>> already accepted to the nation's most elite law schools

I did alright anon.
>>
>>18076062

???

I thought it's pretty clear. I can either take $250,000 debt for Harvard, or take a $180,000 scholarship at a peer school and end up with very little debt, in comparison.

It's in a cheaper region than Boston and so costs less.
>>
>>18076068
Also, I wouldn't need to pay a decade of interest on the debt if I took the money up front and went to the lower-ranked school
>>
>>18076060

This is nonsense.

-A mathematics grad student
>>
>>18076078
lol, thank you. Sounded like bs
>>
>>18076074
>im going to borrow 250k to make 180k a year
>it's going to take me 10 years to pay it back
>>
>>18076113

Yeah, actually, that's pretty normal for a New York attorney.
>>
Do you genuinely believe you have the social ability to use that potential ivy league network to land a ridiculous enough career/job to render the debt a non-issue? (Talking 300k+ a year here)

Second, with these hypothetical social skills, could you really not end up with a similar result at the other school? Is the Harvard connection REALLY that big of a difference or are you just spouting a meme you heard?

>desu the fact youre posing this question to us at all makes me think you should take the safer route
>>
What is the other school? There are only a handful of law schools worth going to. Going to Harvard is expensive AF but will set you up for a lifetime of maximum wage earnings.
>>
>>18076060
I haven't seen this meme in a long time.
>>
>>18076181

Its one of the US News Top 6. I'm also in at Stanford but can't go out west - too many roots and obligations out east.
>>
>>18076057
There's obviously a pedigree mystique for having a Harvard law degree, but I don't know if it's going to harm a potential career track to not have it. Being $250,000 in debt is pretty significant if it turns out you suck at law or hate it (and if your thinking is to get a job with biglaw, chances are you're going to hate the fuck out of it).

>>18076060
That's with a PhD, right? An entry level job as a mathematician is going to be considerably less than $300K and you're dreaming if you think you're going to be able to get even entry level with less than a masters.
>>
>>18076057
I would take the scholarship, the name wouldn't mean shit to me now that I've been to a "good UC"school and realized that college is a meme. You should try to find a good lawyer or mentor that could tell you if the big H is worth all that dough.
>>
I'm guessing the other school is NYU.
I guess it comes down to what you want in life. Harvard (imo) offers you a chance to be somewhere extraordinary, at a cost. Are you good enough with money to pay the loan off? If you don't know yet, do you think you could learn to be good with money?

Talk to students at Harvard Law and at the other school. Talk to lawyers. Try to understand what you want out of a school and then pick the school that aligns with that. Lawyers so pay well, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the money.

Congrats on getting into two very good and selective schools, I'm sure the choice you make will be the best >for you.
>>
Take the scholarship and attend as many networking events as possible, if you graduate high in your class you'll have the same chances as if you want to Harvard. Just make sure to brag about your massive scholarship at every networking event you can attend.
>>
>>18076089
Another math grad student here
It's true if you're talented.
>>
>>18076299
It's an old, old meme
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.