[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here ever just got off a bus/plane/train etc with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1316.jpg (40KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1316.jpg
40KB, 480x360px
Has anyone here ever just got off a bus/plane/train etc with nothing and just got to work and started over?
>>
>>18074004
Did you murder someone, anon?
>>
That was possible in the 70s and 80s. Movie type shit. Or the stuff rockstars did.

Not possible in current year.
>>
>>18074071
Why is that? I'm honestly interested because every job interview i walked into I got hired on the spot and I got the job 3 days after applying
>>
Well it is possible, obviously people do it, but just up and relocating yourself to a new city where you don't know anyone without a job or housing lined up is very hard. Its damn near impossible if you aren't doing it without significant savings, AT LEAST $5k, ideally more.

And while people can do it many more have tried and failed, those that can take a bus back home after having pissed away their savings, those that can't do that wind up on the street.
>>
I'm 20 right now, right after high school I just up and left California for Seattle. I had a great time, lived with the Ave rats, wandered around on acid, got a job and a place. But yeah be prepared to romanticize being homeless and struggling. Of that's not what you see as fun, you won't be able to do that easily.
>>
>>18074004
yeah, just do it. research a little, bring some food.

just don't overthink it, or it will never happen.
>>
>>18074229
How much money did you leave with?
>>
>>18074238
I sold my synthesizers and got about $300. Alot of it went to gas or I just blew it. I got wired another $100 while up there. Ended up having to eat at a homeless shelter, but it was all kids running away like me. Most other cities there's less of a support system to get you on your feet as a productive member of society.
>>
>>18074242
* And it's sketchy with hardcore burnt out drug addicts, Seattle was an upbeat tech city so it wasn't that hard there.
>>
>>18074242
Alright man I might take the bus to NYC
>>
>>18074247
How old are you btw? There's probably some youth services that can help if you need to. Just don't abuse them and give back to them when you're able to. The more adult oriented homeless stuff is for long term homeless people. And yeah, it'll be hard, and most likely you'll wander back home, but either way you'll find what you're looking for. I found what I needed wasn't 800 miles away, but I needed to leave to see that. And came back a better person, and life wasn't bad at all like it was before.
>>
>>18074249
But I want a big city career in entertainment I don't wanna go back to my shit small town where people do nothing but be poor
>>
>>18074252
Ah that's really particular. It's 2017, there's alot of ways to get discovered or promote yourself creatively online. In fact that's alot more reasonable and successful. But I get wanting to go where it is and testing yourself. How do you see yourself in entertainment? Who is the person you want to become?
>>
>>18074261
No you don't do it online
>>
>>18074262
There's the network TV circuit in New York for actors. You could probably source work easier in Vancouver for that though. You can easily submit audition tapes, scripts, or jokes to late night shows. I saw a post on reddit about a guy that almost got on as a writer on Colbert. But yeah, research the industry, you can easily test the waters from home.
>>
>>18074270
>almost

Great

Anyways the industry is about looks talent and who you know plus the internet is over saturated literally filled with people from cities, small towns, different countries it literally makes your competition like 30x as much and no one respects 4 eyed nerds doing shit on the internet
>>
>>18074273
You can certainly try the audition circuit. And if you build yourself up as an artist content-wise you can present yourself online and create something viral. That takes talent to do, it's obviously filled with wannabes that don't have it. But yeah, of you really want to work it, there's plenty of good looking and talented people. And out of the millions of people there, the social circle you're talking about knowing is pretty insulated. The one thing you're missing is that it takes alot of persistence and hard work, along with those other things. People will know you of you work. Hit the audition circuit, take what you can get, build up your credits and you'll climb up to the point where you can break through if that's who you'll be. Look at being a writer also, alot of the guys you're imaging probably started behind the scenes and earned Thier way in front of the camera, becuase they had something to bring to it with their experience. Look up other cities also, like alot of filming is in Vancouver, and you can definitely get small parts there to build yourself up, and maybe be "discovered". Otherwise new York, you're probably thinking of Stamford, that's where alot of new York production actually takes place.
>>
>>18074004

>>18074071
>>18074093
very possible. you just have to use common sense and have the confidence and intelligence to move forward in the city. might be easier for people who have built resumes not teens or early 20s kids. also race can be a big factor.

>>18074098
this. the 5k is more than enough in my opinion,but everyone is different.

>>18074242
this. also a lot of people runaway because they are being abused. not necessarily physically but mentally, emotionally, and been dealt coercion.

i got off a plane with two bags,a skateboard, and 80$ in my pocket. i started doing temp type shit for a film company and working whatever i could. temp shit as in assistant shit, plug this in, tape down that, carry this, go get drinks, etc. changed industries and i finally got a decent job with steady checks. i'd not suggest relying on your guitar and shit for fame and money. unless you can play a good tune on the sidewalk in a busy city 99% chance you ain't gonna make it sorry. best get a job then practice music at home THEN attempt to go big.

it's not just that people can't get jobs, a lot of runaways and homeless people simply don't want to work.
>>
>>18074247
have fun being homeless, you do realize its winter right?
>>
File: boat-mediterranean.jpg (191KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
boat-mediterranean.jpg
191KB, 1024x768px
>>18074004
>>18075004
>also race can be a big factor
>>
>>18075026
explain
>>
>>18075026
"i'll have a coke"
>>
>>18075011
Sleeping on the train anyways faggot
>>
>>18075176
it's gonna be harder than the image you visualize. also best look up nyc laws rookie.
>>
>>18074004
yup. had massive family issues and needed a fresh start. Here is what i did.

Sold most of my shit and bought a laptop, cell phone and luggage.

Got on a bus and moved to a bigger city about 6 hours away.

went on public assistance. while staying at good shepherd.

used YMCA showers, dollar store food and job services.

got a call center job

rented a cheap bachelor apartment

slowly start improving life bit by bit.

flash forward 10 years. now i live in a 4 bedroom apartment, married with 2 kids.

Starting fresh was the best thing i did with my life. I may not be a rich successful guy, but i live comfortable and i earned it all.
>>
>>18075338
What city? You brought a laptop to be homeless?
>>
I'm doing this in 4 weeks. Moving from florida back to my home country of canada. Granted I've lived near the city I'm moving to before, but it's still nerve wracking thinking of the move.
>>
>>18075316
>visualize

I have a friend that did it
>>
>>18075406
I moved to just outside of Toronto.

Yeah library have free Wi-fi and outlets. So its great for job searching, decompressing and keeping my steam profile rolling.
>>
>>18075452
i take that back then. hearing a friend's story is very helpful.

still consider what else you might need beside regular essentials. like dental check ups, maybe you have glasses and need vision check ups, doctor visits if you get infections, potential tickets you might get, etc.

also its not bad to carry a false wallet around in case you get mugged. if things go your way you can hand over just the fake wallet.
>>
>>18075338
Did you suck dick to so it? Are you a sociopath?Serious questions.
>>
>>18075599
Do*
>>
>>18075599
Don't be an idiot I'm pretty sure he said he went back home and there's a difference between crackheads living in dumpsters and teenage runaways
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.