[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

academia??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_o5i7rdQMTB1ra71gno1_500.jpg (18KB, 401x401px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5i7rdQMTB1ra71gno1_500.jpg
18KB, 401x401px
i need to apply for university by the end of the week but i still can't choose between the department of engineering and science. i like bio, chem and physics equally (and i'm good at math, but not interested in pure math). also if i were to pick science i'd double major, but even then i can only pick 2 things.

should i go eng first year and then switch? since there's a lot of first year courses i'd probably take anyways in the department of science.

do i go to uni to become educated on a variety of subjects (and maybe find something i like) or to get a degree for a job i might not even like? i'm not even sure what jobs are available, i just want one involved with cutting edge science. not even sure if i've been japed by people saying engineering is better anyways.

i'm 18 and left this till the last minute (now).
adults pls help me
>>
>>18073318
Ahhaha, youre fucked dude. I made my decision last minute too when it was my time. I made the wrong decision. Now living the neet life of a colledge dropout.
>>
You don't have to go to university straight away. In fact students that go later in life after getting work experience are often top performers.

Anyways a lot of programs will start varying in their second year. If you didn't take them in high school, you'll be taking Chem, Physics, and or Calculus along with some gen eds regardless of what you choose.

There's no real shame in anything. You're 18. Don't be afraid to try things out.
>>
>>18073354

thanks, this makes me feel a bit better. but i've already taken a year off because of indecisiveness (this current year) and i've taken every class (best math course, calculus, bio, physics, chem and programming) and i still don't know :(

i guess i just want to talk to people who already have experience in uni cause i have no friends or family that can help me to figure things out.

also what's gen eds?
>>
the entire point of university is to obtain a degree that will let you get a better job than flipping burgers. go for the one you know will get you job, and that you are okay with. none of this "discovering what I like" bullshit.
>>
>>18073375
>took a whole year off
>didn't research it
>didn't take a community college class to get a feel for what you want
>didn't meet with your high school counselor

did you even work or did you just sit on your ass all day?
>>
>>18073318

Consider the actual jobs you'd most likely end up doing. All studying is more or less shit, it's boring and some of it is pointless, but you gotta do it anyway until it ends in a few years. Work, however, you'll do for the rest of your life. Figure out which field you'd find most tolerable to work in and go for that major. You can tweak you degree along the way to suit your interests better quite easily, getting in is just the first step.
>>
>>18073384

i did research everything about all the programs i'm interested in, but i can't just research university experience and whether something is worth doing or not.

and i'm actually in another year of 'high school' right now to take more classes that my school didn't offer (programming) and classes i didn't have room for in grade 12 (chem), also taking the opportunity to upgrade while i'm here and try for entrance scholarships (currently have 100 in math). i'm not doing nothing, i just thought i'd have figured it out by now, but i'm still stuck.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.