[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making friends in university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: lecture.jpg (342KB, 1536x1094px) Image search: [Google]
lecture.jpg
342KB, 1536x1094px
I know the way to make friends in higher education is to join societies etc but I feel like I have a slightly different problem.

I'm about a month into my second semester as a university student, yet I haven't made a single friend in my course.

There's about a 100 of us and all I've been doing for half a year is sitting by myself in an empty/half-empty row of seats.

This is bad because pretty much everyone has their own "friend group" now (in fact, they did so on the very first day) and they're all sharing information on projects and assignments and making housing arrangements next year and so on.

How do I actually make friends with these people, considering the fact they all know me as a loner who doesn't talk?
>>
>>18072664
Talk to them. Try not to sperg out. Don't be afraid of being intrusive, just do it. Worst they could do is give you weird looks and act annoyed at you. 90% of people are generally nice enough to do you the common courtesy of talking to you.
Unless you're wearing a Trump hat and they're wearing a Hillary shirt, I doubt anyone would act any differently.
>>
>>18072681
Well I'm a Brit, but thanks for that perspective- I guess people don't really care enough to think about others too much , and just casually talking to people shouldn't come off as weird.
>>
>>18072664
Just calm down. If you are studying STEM, don't go to the lectures with the purpose of making friends. You come to learn, and if during learning, you happen to chat with the guy/girl next to you then great (happened to me with this Dutch girl)
If your school has activities and events related to your course, make friends there. For math we have weekly tea session where people talk and solve problems together. It's almost impossible to go to one of these and not make any friends. Find something similar in your program.
About assignment, if it is a norm to share the workload or it's absolutely required to form a group, then it's your perfect excuse to just go to the nearest group or the group with the hottest chick, and ask to join them. They can't possibly be all close friends before the course, some groups will have new people, some will need new people. Even so, I once take a Statistics course with around 150 students and it's a norm that we form a group of 4-6 people for assignments, but the grade is shared, and one of the projects was a machine learning competition so I decided to solo because I didn't want to carry other people (one of the caveat of taking courses from other departments). Joining assignment group should be very easy.
Housing is also a great excuse if you want to talk to random people in your class, just walk up to them and tell them you're looking for roommate, ask their name, number, fb, just like that. I never did this before but some other guy asked me to share an apartment during a lab.

The solutions are right in your problems.
>>
>>18072664
You literally described my situation.
It really does get harder to speak to people when they think you're a loner, people actively avoid/wont sit next to me now, although I try to act friendly. I have no advice, but you're definitely not alone if that's any consolation.
>>
this is my second semester too, have made some friends but don't really have a 'friend group' like normies have...

also as I have to face drama of my own life its getting harder to care about others and make more friends.

one of my friend just approaches anyone that seem vulnerable and become friends - I guess you really need a strong confidence and self love to be like that. He's a short indian kid and still pulls that off - I think it has something to do with how one was raised or chemical balance in brain or some shit
>>
File: -Gv4jVapuTI.jpg (313KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
-Gv4jVapuTI.jpg
313KB, 1080x1920px
I go to a community college in US and only have 2 classes this last semester. The thing is, there's barely any people I'd even be interested in talking to. About 45% of them are spics/niggers/shitskins to whom I can't simply relate to (and I'm not even American myself just yet and I still find it difficult to assimilate to white American society let alone be able to relate to non-whites in this country). There's a girl in both of my classes though. She is not too much of a normie and I'd love to socialize with. No relationships or anything, just some degree of friendship.

And to add to that, I have little to no idea of where to start new acquaintances for a nerd like me in my area (Orlando, FL). I guess, I could attend one of those group anime showing nights or Megacon but what else? Where do people go to?
>>
Should I join anime club or film club?
>>
>>18073698
Just find a weeb herd, there's always one in every scenario now a days.
>>
>>18074707

Both.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.