[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question on Meditation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 9632546987.jpg (67KB, 820x519px) Image search: [Google]
9632546987.jpg
67KB, 820x519px
How do you do your meditation?

I'm not sure if I'm doing the right way but below is the way how I do.
>sit lotus position
>spine upright
>hands put in position exactly like in pic related
>plays a nature sound or a hindu tune that says "OM"
>slow deep inhale - hold for 4 secs - slow exhale - repeat
>I'm a beginner so I sit for 3-5 mins

Am I doing it right? If not pls, correct me thank you.
>>
There's no one right way.
>hand position is preference, but should generally be symmetrical
>you don't need to say Om or play music, I find both of these practices distracting but to each their own

At it's most basic level, meditation is unifying your body and mind. The easiest way to do this is via the breath - it is an always present physical phenomena of the body that is easy to focus on with you mind (as opposed to say the heartbeat). Following your in and out breath is the most basic form of meditation I usually recommend to people. Being aware, "I am breathing in" and "I am breathing out". That's it. Whenever other thoughts or feelings arise you acknowledge them neutrally, but gently bring your awareness back to the breath whenever your mind wanders.

3-5 minutes won't do much for you, try ramping it up. My teacher recommends at least 15 minutes a day if you want to see change in yourself.
>>
You're focusing on the wrong thing here. Your position matters very little. You should sit with your spine straight but as relaxed as possible (so you're not too tense, but not so relaxed that you doze off either). Your pic is how most "experts" meditate, but for beginners it would be better to have your back supported by something. Like sitting in a chair, or against a wall, because otherwise you may be too tense.

Listening to music or nature sounds or whatever is pretty pointless. Most likely it will break your concentration, more than anything.

Also you shouldn't try to control your breath. Just focus on it. Observe it. Really, there are many ways to meditate, the most popular being this one. But it's not about how you sit, or how you breathe, but what's going on inside your head. Breath normally, but focus on your breathing. Inevitably, your mind will wonder off, thinking about stuff. Whenever you notice that come back to the breathing. You should do that for at least 10 minutes as a beginner.
>>
>>18072186
I live in an area where cars pass by a lot and you can imagine the honk sounds. Then there are other noices so it's not so silent in here and it can be pretty distracting. So to get a peace from that and do my meditation, I put on my headphones and play some calm nature sound or an Indian guy singing OM. I find that okay tho.

Thanks for saying about the wandering of thoughts part because I forgot to ask it in the OP.

Will up it from 3-5 mins. I'm sort of planning to up it gradually coz I started meditation just 4 days back.
>>
Music is distracting.
About the palms, there is one thing to keep in mind. You should have the tips of your thumbs slightly touch each other. They are kind of an indicator of your concentration at any point. They should be horizontal like a bridge, firm but not tense. If you are too tense, they press against each other forming a peak. If they're too loose, they just give in to gravity forming a valley. Pay attention to that.
For the rest, I think you're okay. People tend to try to force themselves not to think, which is a futile effort. Ideally, you "fall" into the proper state of meditation. In reality, you transition into a point where you are, so to say, static. You have to be patient and let yourself sink in that state of void.
>>
I just wanna point it out that I'm a frequent meditator. At least an hour per day, and I study a lot, so I know many techniques about it... I beat my depression basically solely on meditation.

Your position is not very important... It is important when you are more capable at meditation, so you can go to higher degrees of concentration (the erect spine triggers your brain to be aware, per say).

Controlling your meditation should be your first step. You sit, do the counting, and then when you feel very relaxed, stop controlling it and start 'listening' to it. Pay attention to it without judging or swaying away. Just stand there, giving you breath your deepest and complete attention.

By doing so, your mind will cease the thoughts, as long as you keep the attention. It's hard to do it though, at first, so another tip to keep the thoughts at a minimum is to shift the attention to the mind.

The same attention, unjudgemental and complete. Just listen to your thoughts without thinking them over ('Oh, this thought is nasty' is the normal response of the mind, don't think that, just watch the thought).

That's it, it's more about attention and focus then position.

I'll be here for a little longer if you wish to ask something.
>>
>>18072243
I meant "controlling your BREATH should be your first step"
>>
I meditate in a sauna, I don't do any of the buddhist fancy shit, I just sit there and let my mind go blank
>>
>>18072243
That was new knowledge to me. Thanks a lot for that.

But can I ask about what kind of tune/music to opt for because I live in a pretty noisy area as I told above and it can be very distracting.
>>
>>18072243
>At least an hour per day, and I study a lot, so I know many techniques about it
Wow! How long have you been meditating to be able to do that for so long?
>>
>>18072243
>Your position is not very important...
Imo it's pretty important. It's infinitely easier to concentrate in lotus than just legs crossed loosely.
>>
>>18072286
Usually I listen to youtube videos... "Reiki" songs are the best. They are relaxing but not sad, and no voice to drag away your attention to thoughts.

>>18072292
Been a year and a half.. I started meditating way earlier, but I didn't have the discipline to keep it daily and for an hour.

>>18072313
True, but it's a personal matter. I myself can't really sit on lotus position and feel confortable. If I sit on a chair, though, it's way better. I started by lieing down too... It's BETTER to be in lotus position, or just something similar, but it's not the best for someone who's starting.
>>
>>18072158
Here's how I do it.

>Sit in any position I feel like. Usually in a chair with my hands folded
>Stare at a point where lines intersect (ie. Corner of tiles in a bathroom or the corner of a desk)
>Try to expand the awareness of my entire 3D space
>Let object of meditation slowly consume me
>Do this until I get psychedelics type visuals

If I have the time or feel I want to go even further, I continue until I have grayscale vision and eventual complete blindess.
>>
>>18072378
>psychedelics type visuals

Elaborate? I've never done open eye. How is it different from the typical traditional closed eye form?
>>
>>18072414
Sure.
For me, I practice open eye over closed eye for multiple reasons
1. I can be more sure of when I enter altered states of consciousness, for my visual sense is dramatically changed
2. Personally, I have less susceptibility to distraction in the open eye state. With eyes closed, it is very easy to daydream
3. Less chance of falling asleep or becoming lethargic.

As for what the visuals actually look like, well, usually it begins with the edges of the object I am staring at beginning to glow in color and blur around, as if an 'aura' began to encompass them. Sometimes while expanding my awareness of the room objects at the start will begin to "screw" themselves down or "assemble" if you will. (This is a phenomenon common apparently among some DMT experiences)

I get shifting and breathing of the space around me as well, like one might experience on an LSD trip.

One of the later visual phenomena I get is a "whitening" or "bleaching" of the world around me. Everything begins to whiten and become less saturated, as if I am perceiving the light by my eyes as a sort of flood pouring in with the visual data, together. After that, a sort of spiraling or "swooshing" from within the eyes laps over what I see in waves, typically in blue or green, where I can almost feel this sucking motion being projected from my eyes into the world around me.

Only a handful of times have I achieved complete blindness. The world around me grays and blurs into one big wave of energy until it's all that I can perceive. I just experience a total void. It's quite peaceful and I feel like I could remain here forever. I have a great day everyday after if I can reach this point. For me it's quite difficult though, I'll have to be going often for 30min+
>>
File: 1486589537780.jpg (487KB, 518x3648px) Image search: [Google]
1486589537780.jpg
487KB, 518x3648px
>>
Fuck lotus. Lay flat on your back in your bed or better yet in a tub of hot water on your back.
>>
I can't stay focused, pls help
>>
>>18072158
The point of all of that shit is so that you can calm your mind and not mentally talk to yourself. The mantra is to preoccupy you so you dont do that. None of that is necessary. All you have to be able to do is shut the fuck up in your head. Focusing on breathing correctly. Once you get your mind to stfu dont thinking about breathing and just reach ascension.
>>
>>18072205
Don't tune out the outside world op. Listen to it. A key part of meditation is silencing the "monkey mind" meaning the part that just won't shut the fuck up. Since the monkey mind cannot be silenced, he must be distracted, which is why people use the breathing method. However by shutting yourself in you are limiting your own self-actualization. The world does not stop moving while you meditate, so don't be afraid to take it all in.
>>
File: wgl58Qy.jpg (307KB, 1016x665px) Image search: [Google]
wgl58Qy.jpg
307KB, 1016x665px
What style of meditation do you need to do to learn how to do pic related without screaming and carrying on?
>>
>>18074512
I mean isn't that retarded? Why would he self harm?
> without screaming and carrying on
He looks like he wanna do it but is just suppressing it. I mean just why?

Note that I appreciate meditation and it's benefits but this is just very retarded.
>>
>>18074125, look this >>18072243, >>18072199
and >>18072186
>>
>>18072158
i would recommend checking out some guided meditation to help properly understand breathing techniques and how to achieve your goals in meditation
it sounds like at the moment you're only focusing on your form, which is a much less important aspect of meditation compared to controlling your breath and slowing down thoughts
>>
>>18072158
A chant (either spoken/ sung, or externally) can help. The mantra should align with your believes.

As a Christian I use the Jesus Prayer "lord jesus christ (breath in) have mercy upon me (breath out)".

You can make up your own though. Be positive.

5 Mins is usually to short. Go for half an hour. Avoid distractions.Music as well.
>>
>>18072158
it's not what you think it is, necessarily. you don't have to sit on the damn floor with your eyes shut in silence or with soft music playing. really.

i meditate when i workout alone. it's a sort of reflection period where i'm focusing on the task at hand as well as my breathing. after when i stretch same thing.

sometimes during my days i sort of "Day dream" which is a form of meditation. i just sit and stare at something and think about things in depth with greater focus because of lack of distraction.

before i fall asleep i meditate laying down until i pass out. seems to intensify dreams coincidentally.

sometimes when i research or study something, or read a book, i stop and just think about a concept and forming new concepts. sort of a way for me to slow down a bit and come to more senses with myself and the information i am receiving.

i benefit from meditation by being more focused with thoughts bothering me or thoughts running wild. also i am able to center myself with more ease and be more level-headed on a day-to-day basis. no, i don't sit like a pretzel with fingers on my knees facing upwards making an "ooooommmmmm" noise.
>>
>>18072158
There isn't really a right way. I've played with different positions, its all about what feels most comfortable to you.

I do:
>empty room before 6am (live in an apartment, its too noisy if I do it after and I wake up early anyways)
>sit in middle of room and face blank wall
>consider what I want to meditate on, or if I just want to just clear up
>half lotus position
>hands on thighs
>thumb and ring fingers connected
>deep belly breaths to get started, 5 secs in, 7 secs out
>the "bubble activity" (imagining your thoughts being put in bubbles and letting them float away)
>either stay here for about 45 mins of minimal thought
>or I meditate on a current personal issue I am struggling with from another perspective
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TjCZRutOKY
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.