[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Occupation decisions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1007.jpg (73KB, 603x483px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1007.jpg
73KB, 603x483px
I'm in a weird position currently and as always probably would have done things a bit differently.
Summary:

>didn't do well in high school(laziness, not lack of intelligence)
>decided I didn't want to be a piece of shit and joined the Marines.
>got out started school for web development, finished maybe a year.
>don't know why I stopped. Had something to do with my brother.
>fucked around in some other studies and tried firefighting.
>long story short ended up in electrical apprenticeship
>job is ok, hours or the next 5 years are going to be terrible
>hate everyone I work with, nothing in common with any of them
> considering going back to web development(which I actually enjoyed and was pretty good at) and I had a lot more in common with everyone.
>very worried that I'm just going to be miserable working long hours in shitty conditions as an electrician but getting paid decently.

Anyway, scared to take the plunge, not sure if it is the right decision as I am extremely lucky to have the job I currently have and don't want to fuck up the opportunity if it is just a "grass is greener on the other side" kind of thing.

Does anyone have any advice or experience from either side electrical or programming, web development that wants to share?

(Also this job put me into a depression every other week or so wondering about this which I never really had before)
>>
>>18071965
A regular wage is a hell of a drug.

I am not going to say follow your dreams and do what makes you happy, and I am not going to tell you to stick it out in your job until you are magically happy.

Me and a buddy both went to univeristy to be teachers. AFter one year of teacher, buddy realized actual teaching was a shitshow most of the time. She ended up going in as an electrical apprentice, and found a job she liked and was good at. Then she got shitcanned for 2 years because last hired, first fired in an economic slump. She worked as an office monkey at a temp agency for those two years, and one of the offices she worked for offered her a regular long term gig. She turned it down, hoping to score an electrician job in the future. It took those two years, but she just now got back into being an electrician.

I stuck with teaching, and was having a fine time until I took a parental leave to raise my newborn daughter. When I came back, I realized that most of these kids were assholes and I would much rather be a home father cleaning house and taking care of my kids. This realization has led to some pretty tough days at the school, and I have to choose whether a paycheque (which we need) is more important than being with my family. In the end, I approached my principal about cutting me back to a half time teacher, cutting out the classes that grind my gears and keeping the ones I like. He hasn't gotten back to me on this proposal, but long story short, I proposed cutting my job in half because it made me unhappy half the time and I hopefully get to spend that time with kids now instead of some other asshole's asshole children.

I guess what I am trying to say is it can be hard to tough it out, but at the end of the day, you gotta make a decision about what will support you best economically and emotionally, and hopefully you can at least find a compromise instead of having to go whole hog one way or another.
>>
File: do it.jpg (881KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
do it.jpg
881KB, 1920x1080px
>>18071965
if you like programming then do that

additionally you can self learn web development. there are tons of sites like freecodecamp that will teach you for free. You could possibly do that in your spare time but you don't sound super motivated
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.