[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Family Law lawyer here, AMA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 2

File: imgres.jpg (4KB, 140x223px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
4KB, 140x223px
I'm drinking and have some time. Ask me. I'm in Canada, but commonwealth or Burgers have free access to my 20 years of litigation experience, for as long as I'm interested. Bring it! And if you ask, say where you are!
>>
>>18071047
That's not me in the pic. I think she's hot though; she'd be hotter if she were serving me a beer rather than talking on a cell phone.
>>
>>18071047
Not looking for advice, but I'm a U.S. law student who is also drinking. So, here's to you offering up advice on 4chan!
>>
>>18071077
Huzzah! Good on you, Anon. This is what you can look forward to with your education! Are you specializing?
>>
>>18071089
Well that has always been the dream. At the moment most of my experience is in criminal law. I love doing the work, but I'm trying to transition into a firm that does civil work for the pay bump.
>>
Can you give me any insight into what is going to happen to a first time DUI person? My brother fucked up and got one.
>>
>>18071097
Criminal Law is a great place to start, Anon. It gets you in court and teaches you the rules of evidence. I started there, but moved to family law quickly when I realized that all the lawyers hanging out at court only ever talked about sports. I think that pro sports are for men who enjoy watching other men, so I started hanging out with the family lawyers who actually talked about the law, and have been there since.
>>
>>18071047
If the criminal and civil statue of limitations have both run out and theres no ongoing coverup is there any realistic way for you to get jammed up?
>>
>>18071112
>Can you give me any insight into what is going to happen to a first time DUI person? My brother fucked up and got one.
What country are you in, or more importantly your brother? Or your friend? Or whatever, I don't care. Any previous convictions? What was the BAC reading?
>>
What is the best legal way to get a lot of money over say, 10 years
>>
>>18071117
I will say my first summer was considerably more interesting than most other law students I know. Nothing like almost catching some tuberculosis in the local jail to keep you on your toes. And I know the feeling with the sports thing. The only real sports team I care about is my University's college football team. These people don't slow up with the sport analogies though.
>>
Can you give me any insight into DUIs?
>>
>>18071122
>If the criminal and civil statue of limitations have both run out and theres no ongoing coverup is there any realistic way for you to get jammed up?
What in the flying fuck are you talking about? Give me some specifics. I'm drinking here, and I'm not a fucking mind-reader. Plus, where are you?
>>
>>18071136
U.S. law student here, I have a fair amount of experience in U.S. DUIs if that is what you need.
>>
File: 1404681998741.jpg (48KB, 574x716px) Image search: [Google]
1404681998741.jpg
48KB, 574x716px
>>18071047
My wife had cosmetic surgery before I met her. She kept all her childhood teenage pictures of herself from me. We have 2 children who, pardon me for saying this, but very homely. I did not expect this and my friends and family are mortified.

My question: Can I divorce her, give her the children and not give her any severance for lying to me about her past surgeries to deceive me?
>>
>>18071128
>What is the best legal way to get a lot of money over say, 10 years
Go to /biz/, they have lots of suggestions of how to lose your nest egg.
>>
>>18071128
Depends what you want to do with it.
>>
>>18071135
The best part of being in criminal court is if you have to sell a bunch of chocolate bars or cookies as a fundraiser for your kid, or niece, or the hot clerk in your office, or whatever. Tweakers who just got out on bail will buy anything that has sugar in it. Seriously.
>>
>>18071138
In the US. Something violent happened a decade ago. The criminal statute of limitations for the offense is 3 years, the civil statute of limitations is 2 years. Recently the victim has been making noises about going to the police. Is there real exposure here or have they sat on it for too long?
>>
>>18071136
>Can you give me any insight into DUIs?
I've worked on DUIs in Canada. Where are you from, Anon? Another from US has offered to help.
>>
>>18071150
Well again, if you are particularly concerned, I urge you to consult with an attorney and keep them on retainer. Furthermore, this is just general advice, as opposed to full on legal advice, but if the statute of limitations has truly run in the U.S. the other side has fuck all and you are free to go. Assuming you have the SOLs correct.
>>
>>18071149
That is interesting to note. Now I just need a kid or a cause. I will say, Its always quite an event when the drug dealer shows up to bail out the client.
>>
>>18071140
>Can I divorce her, give her the children and not give her any severance for lying to me about her past surgeries to deceive me?
No. Good question, but no. This might be a case of civil fraud if you can prove that you only married her because she was hot, and she didn't disclose that she used to be fugly before plastic surgery, and you can prove that it was an implied or implicit condition of marriage that she'd give you beautiful children. But that's a stretch, and you're still the father of these monstrosities so you're fucked in family court. Children are entitled to be supported by their separated parents, regardless of whether they are attractive.

Unlike in real life, where only beautiful people deserve love and attention.
>>
>>18071126
>>18071139

No, the BAC was .08, I'm in the US. First time problem, but he had bumper damage from an unrelated incident which they took pictures of.
>>
>>18071160
>I will say, Its always quite an event when the drug dealer shows up to bail out the client.
That shit always makes me laugh. My client in family court could be the worst degenerate, meth mouth, public park (man)whore, but they will still bring their friends to court for a character reference.

I look at the friends and say to the client that he or she is better off without those subhumans supporting them to the judge. Cheerleaders ought to be helpful, not an example of the client's degeneracy.
>>
>>18071165
Well, DUI stuff goes state by state, but as with all legal issues, it differs. For a first time problem, the judge may be lenient, but your state law will determine how lenient he can actually be. Beyond that, it would be good to determine how the evidence that he hit a .08 was collected. There may be a procedural issue that would lead to suppression of the evidence. Additionally, if this was taken with a breathalyzer, if it hasn't been properly calibrated, or if the calibration hasn't been documented, you might also have a good chance. So again, this is fact/location specific, but just on the basis of just a first time offense, it might not be awful, but there will likely be a record which could prove problematic for schooling and employment purposes.
>>
>>18071165
>No, the BAC was .08, I'm in the US. First time problem, but he had bumper damage from an unrelated incident which they took pictures of.
The other Anon seems to know his stuff, listen to him. But it strikes me that if a BAC of .08 is the minimum for an impaired charge where you are, you might be able to plead this down to a "wet reckless".
>>
>>18071172
It never fails to amaze me who these people bring to family court. I will say, the most "fun" cases I ever worked involved drugged out clients. We had a guy blow his friend away with a .357 in the back of a car over an ounce of weed. Crackheads cousins fucking each other and killing other crackheads with rope and bleach for their supposed crack. Honestly it gets a little depressing on this end. So I especially respect you guys in the family law division watching kids go through things like this.
>>
>>18071183
That may absolutely be a possibility. You will want to determine the law in your state in respect to a wet reckless plea. Some states have this and others do not.
>>
Is it too late to become a lawyer at 25? I'd have to go through undergrad and the whole bit. But I did well in English and the like.
>>
>>18071188
>Crackheads cousins fucking each other and killing other crackheads with rope and bleach for their supposed crack. Honestly it gets a little depressing on this end.
Nice observation. Yes, it does get depressing at times. Like when a client's child has been taken into foster care by the child welfare authorities and I'm hired by Legal Aid to help the client. And the client is face down in their own vomit when I go to their place to check it out and do an interview. And another baby who hasn't been apprehended is crying in a diaper full of more shit than the baby's own body weight. Sometimes I feel like a social worker. I don't get into those cases very often, but it has happened.
>>
>20 years' experience in family law

How many fathers did you throw under the tank treads?
>>
>>18071201
In the U.S.? Absolutely not. There is no age limit for admitting attorneys, it just depends on what you are willing to deal with. A lot of U.S. law school's will be comprised of about half the student population that is younger than you. That said, I've seen 70 year old men finish law school. It is all in the numbers (undergrad grades and LSAT). That said, I would think very carefully about the cost of law school vs. the potential financial benefit. Only do it if you have a specific interest in law, not just a stereotypically respected profession and a paycheck. Law school can promise neither of those things outside of the Ivy Elite.
>>
>>18071201
>Is it too late to become a lawyer at 25? I'd have to go through undergrad and the whole bit. But I did well in English and the like.
I didn't apply to law school until I was 26. I was 30 before I got called to the bar and got my license. Some real life experience is a serious asset; nobody wants a lawyer with zits and a pokemon tie. If you've studied English and you're academically inclined, you're doing well. Do some practise LSATs for fun and see how you'd score. Also, if you're a little older you can apply as a mature student and maybe get in that way when you wouldn't have if you were applying right out of college/university at 22. Look into it. Don't give up, Anon. It's a marathon rather than a race.
>>
>>18071201
(Not OP)

Look up your state's own standards for paralegal. If you're good at working hard, good at learning the ropes, and at least 96th percentile at following directions, then you could have an honestly worthwhile career without even becoming a lawyer. But if you choose to go to law school past this point, you'll have a serious advantage over the rest of the students.
>>
>>18071207
>How many fathers did you throw under the tank treads?
Fuck you. I've gotten custody for many single fathers. I'm a single father myself with sole custody. Blow yourself, or go back to /pol/ or /r9k/ where you'll find other assholes who say "father's rights!".

It all depends on the facts.
>>
>>18071206
Man that is absolutely savage. Respect to you for making it through the day to day reality of that kind of work. I will say, hearing things like that has made me hope to adopt at least one kid. Hopefully I can give back to the world in a positive way somehow. God knows those kids deserve the chance to know a stable life with someone who cares.
>>
>>18071214
>Only do it if you have a specific interest in law, not just a stereotypically respected profession and a paycheck. Law school can promise neither of those things outside of the Ivy Elite.
This. If you're not going to join Skull and Bones or compete for a spot in the top firms, it really doesn't matter where you get your degree, or even what your marks are. Just do a good job once you're there and you'll get clients and respect from judges and other lawyer and your clients, who will support you.
>>
>>18071201
I would also like to note that location of the school is important. Generally, you want to apply to a school located in the region where you want to practice. You have more flexibility in the T14, but even then, many students work in the region. So do keep that in mind before applying.
>>
>>18071047

Vancouver BC here. 21 year old UBC student currently. Thinking about law as a potential option if I don't get into the field I really want. GPA =3.7 and I am in third year. Might take another 1-1.5 years to grad. Aiming for a GPA 3.8+

Hate public speaking, but I am good at writing, reading, critical thinking/critical analysis. Don't like the idea of litigation.

Questions

Is law worth going into? Tips for landing a high paying job right out of law school? Ideally if I got into it I'd like to be be making 120k+ by the time I am 30. No plans for marriage or kids, I'd do law just for the money to fuel my other interests/hobbies. Work during the day, enjoy the night so to speak.

What schools would I have a decent shot at? No idea what my LSAT would be but let's say hypothetically 155-165 roughly.

If I don't like public speaking, can I get through law school or is it something totally necessary?

Best field of law for me to go into? Remember, 0 interest in litigation.

If you're still around, thanks a bunch for answering in advance I might pass out soon
>>
>>18071207
I will say that at least in the U.S., it is a completely adversarial system. You do your best to protect the interests of the client. If the result is that most fathers lose their kids, that is a problem that would be more easily solved legislatively. Don't blame the lawyers. For each one that wins, one lost. And it was because of either case precedent or the law. So if you are bitter, you should harass your legislature, not the lawyers involved.
>>
>>18071246
>Work during the day, enjoy the night so to speak.
Not OP, but if this is what you want, then being a lawyer is not the field for you. You can study law, but you'd have to do something else with your law degree.

Also everyone has at least some training in litigation. No matter what field you go into, it's a useful skill to have, and you'll be going to court at some point.
>>
>>18071252

>you'll be going to court at some point

False. Majority of lawyers are solicitors who never see the inside of a court room
>>
>>18071229
>Hopefully I can give back to the world in a positive way somehow.
You're a good person for feeling this incentive. Just be very careful from which agency you adopt. If it's from your local child welfare authority, they'll have tons of crack babies in foster care, but they'll tell you that these babies are all fine and only need love. Then a few years later, after pouring all your love and money into a brain damaged kid, you'll realize that the state pawned its responsibility off on you. I see it happen, seriously.
>>
>>18071254
That's one of those myths about the legal profession. Even solicitors have to go to court to present things before a judge. Most cases don't require a full trial, but you'll spend at least some of your time in court.
>>
>>18071259

Nope not sure where you're getting your info from but that's simply not true.
>>
>>18071254
This is misleading. 90% of cases don't go to trial, but that doesn't mean that there aren't pretrial hearings in court. There are a lot of those. And there are appellate hearings as well. In the U.S. anyway. Even if you are a transactional lawyer, nowadays, you will be expected to take an appellate advocacy course in law school which requires a public speaking ability. Be prepared.
>>
>>18071263
I'm getting my info from the various solicitors I've talked to.
>>
>>18071266

I've talked to a litigator and a friend in law school, got total answers that totally conflict yours. Well fuck it either way I'd put up with the occasional pretrial hearings if I can make 6 figures and go the fuck home to drink, fuck and read at night.
>>
>>18071277
You're dreaming if you think that's the life you're going to have as a lawyer
>>
>>18071258
I appreciate the heads up. My girlfriend (wife after law school) isn't a big fan of mental disabilities. Frankly, I feel as though I'm in a position where we can care for a severely disabled kid. Most of them will slip through the cracks. I can give at least one a chance. Its only silverware if it goes wrong. That said, it will be nice to know what I'm getting if the state tries to trick me. Beyond that I would like to have one of our own, and then one that we can adopt that has potential. I think that is a good balance. The world has been pretty unconditionally good to me. So that is the dream.
>>
>>18071277
>>18071281
Honestly I agree with 81 here. It seems like a golden platter from the entry side of law school, but once you get into it, its gonna be a lot of very technical reading, an IMMENSE amount of liability if you fuck if up, and almost no guarantee of that kind of money. Even if you hit the elite schools, if you are stupid in the interviews, you are out. And that is a lot of debt to gamble with. If you are making anything six figures and up, say good bye to your free life.
>>
>>18071246
>Is law worth going into?
If your primary goal is to make money, don't do law. Good lawyers have a passion for their work, which makes them good, and the money follows.

>No idea what my LSAT would be but let's say hypothetically 155-165 roughly.

Take some practise LSATs under the time control and mark yourself. Don't assume that because you're doing well in your program at your school that you're a genius. That's why the LSATs and other standardized tests for professional school applicants exists.

>If I don't like public speaking, can I get through law school or is it something totally necessary?

Lots of lawyers never see a court room. And lots of people with a law degree don't become lawyers. Pick a field of work that you like, then you'll be motivated to get gud. You're putting the cart before the horse.

I know several family lawyers who never go to court. They do mediation, draft prenups or separation agreements, or draft pleadings for clients without committing to going to court.

But it's good to have litigation experience. You need the implied threat of taking it to court and doing well in order to get the other side to agree to what you want. If you go to law school, start in criminal and landlord/tenant law; most law schools get their students into court on these fields. Get some experience while you're in law school and you'll have a head up in the real world.

>Best field of law for me to go into? Remember, 0 interest in litigation.
Real estate, corporate/commercial contracts, or pairing up with a personal injury lawyer where they are the one to pound the podium while you do the paperwork, and you split the fee.
>>
>>18071281

Why? Average salaries after 7+ years of practice are about over 100k. Obviously when you graduate you'll be lucky to be making like 60k and doing loads of work but after you gain experience it's totally realistic at least from what I've been told by people in the law field in Canada.
>>
>>18071289

Thanks, much appreciated. Also could you please clarify this dispute in the thread over pay? If I went into law I see myself at like a mid sized firm in Vancouver or maybe Toronto. After at least 5-7 years of experience, what is the pay like?
>>
>>18071250
>I will say that at least in the U.S., it is a completely adversarial system. You do your best to protect the interests of the client. If the result is that most fathers lose their kids, that is a problem that would be more easily solved legislatively. Don't blame the lawyers.

I'd like to agree with you. The whole "father's rights" movement, and feminist influence on the bench, these are the usual questions I get.

Well, I get lots of questions where I reply "fuck you". Family law is a unique field. Some parents who are each morons or immature, they'll spend their last dime trying to hurt the other. That sucks, and I don't like those cases.
>>
>>18071296
I can't speak for Canada, but in the U.S., that is also a common quote. What you have to account for is the 15% who start at 160,000 and move up from there. It offsets everyone else. 100k is certainly attainable, but don't take it for granted at all.
>>
Can you improve LSAT scores? If I can and I don't naturally, with no study, score high is that a good indication I shouldn't go into law?

Basically what I'm asking is the first time LSAT score a good indicator of whether I'd be a good lawyer or not?
>>
>>18071283
>Frankly, I feel as though I'm in a position where we can care for a severely disabled kid.
Don't fall in love with the dream. Do some volunteer work with disabled children, and see how you like it. It can be very rewarding to provide care for a disabled child, but this is a lifelong commitment for you. Disabled children often don't leave the nest. Don't go into it because you want to "do good".
>>
When do I need a family lawyer? What is your purpose and what does it cost?
>>
>>18071306
Not at all. By design the LSAT is a test that is to be learned. You should plan on using at least 3 months of your life to study for the test. It can be learned, but don't let the first time measure discourage you. Furthermore, the LSAT is an indicator of success in law school, but there is no correlation to success in actual practice.
>>
>>18071313
Honestly I appreciate the insight there. I would like to have more experience with disabled children because I don't want to short change them based on my expectations. So before I adopt a disabled kid, I will be sure to do that. I understand they don't leave the nest. My neighbor has a 40 year old brother that still needs care. I just feel as though financially I can handle it. You are right though, I should get more practical experience before that level of commitment.
>>
>>18071304
I agree. The top new associates get paid well, and they skew up the average numbers.

But as I've said, if you're going into law "to make money" you're doing it for the wrong reason. It's a profession. You need a fire in the belly for what you're doing. If you are doing it just for the money, you'll suck at it and you won't make any money at the end of the day.
>>
>>18071300
>After at least 5-7 years of experience, what is the pay like?
It depends entirely on the field of work, and your market. If you do corporate/commercial on Bay Street, you'll be making six figures in your first year (and you'll have to work 80 hours per week to be neck and neck for partnership). If you live outside an urban center, you need to generalize rather than specialize, and you'll work less and earn less but you may well like your work and life more. That's important, more important than your income.
>>
>>18071329
As an aside, if you think you can still hang, look up the substance abuse statistics for the legal profession. There is a reason that both OP and myself have been drinking.
>>
Got raped when I was very young. He threatens to kill my mother and me if we tell. Punched me in the head from behind until I was unconscious so my memory isn't the greatest on top of the trauma of being raped suppressing the memorys.

There were no direct witnesses. My mom only heard from me after I had a very hard time eating/shitting for days.

This was twenty some years ago.

What can I do legally to get him put behind bars?
>>
>>18071342
My mom refuses to accept it happened and has openly lied about this because she still has children with him and believes his threats.
>>
>>18071342
I hate to ask the obvious question, but U.S. or Canada?
>>
>>18071354
San Diego, California, USA
>>
>>18071306
>Basically what I'm asking is the first time LSAT score a good indicator of whether I'd be a good lawyer or not?
This is an excellent question. The previous Anon isn't wrong, but I still disagree.

Lots of lawyers do the LSAT several times. Some schools only count your highest score, some take your average if you did it more than once. This will take some research by you if you have a law school in mind.

The LSAT has two basic components (as far as I understand, I haven't written it lately). And those components are facility in the English language (being able to quickly read and understand complex texts) and critical thinking / logic. You're on 4chan, so that's already a strike against you.

I can give you my LSAT tips if you or another Anon is interested. Some areas of testing can be substantially improved by study and practise, some areas can't be improved.

But in general, if you're interested in law school then write some practise LSATs and see how you do.
>>
>>18071357
Well I believe there is a 10 year statute of limitations on rapes in California if they were committed before Jan. 1, 2017. So unfortunately I don't think there is any criminal liability now. Maybe there might be civil liability, but were I you, I would consult with a lawyer in your area to be sure.
>>
>>18071306
>Basically what I'm asking is the first time LSAT score a good indicator of whether I'd be a good lawyer or not?
A follow up, Anon. A first time LSAT score has little to do with whether you'll be a good lawyer. A good LSAT score is a good indication that you'd do well at law school, that's all.

I know some lawyers who you'd swear are retarded. Academics, face always in a book, no understanding of rhetoric or how to speak to a judge or how to market themselves. Sadly, the legal field is full of eggheads who thought "derp, I can't become a doctor or engineer because I hate math and science, so I guess I'll be a lawyer!"
>>
>>18071381
Can confirm totally retarded lawyers.
>>
>>18071328
>I should get more practical experience before that level of commitment.

I'm glad to hear you say that. Start by becoming a foster parent. Just don't "fall in love" with your first placement, there's always a good chance that they'll go back to the parents. Especially if they have a good lawyer.

Plus you'll make good contacts in the adoption...industry...I hate to call it that. If you do decide to adopt after being a successful foster parent, you'll be streamlined for the process. If you're not streamlined, you might wait years to be approved to adopt a crack baby that you weren't expecting.
>>
>>18071391
This is all exactly what I need to know. I just don't want to play with some kid's emotions and then fuck everything up for them. I'd say if I came to Canada I'd look you up to help me out, but we both know where we are and why I can't do that. But I will definitely make sure that I get experience in the system before making any commitments.
>>
>>18071339
>There is a reason that both OP and myself have been drinking.
Cheers! It's getting late where I am, I'm on my last drink. I have court in the morning. I don't know how long I'll be around. But I've enjoyed doing this thread, and thanksh fer yer hlp..
>>
>>18071398
Well I wish you luck in court tomorrow. I'm comparatively free until our trial competition in D.C. on Friday morning. It was a good time here which is a rare thing on 4chan. If anyone has more U.S. questions, I'll be around for a bit.
>>
>>18071047
How often do people try to get free legal advice from you?
>>
>>18071357
Find a civil/criminal lawyer who will give you a free consult and ask these questions. Then find another and a third, and ask them the same questions. I'm sorry for what happened to you, but 4chan isn't the place to ask for life-changing advice.
>>
>>18071370
Good call, Anon.
>>
>>18071393
>I just don't want to play with some kid's emotions and then fuck everything up for them.
Good man. It takes more than time, money, and a big heart to adopt a disabled child. It takes the commitment that you don't know you'll actually have if you haven't practised.

The world needs more people like you, Anon. Godspeed. But don't fuck over yourself and a kid by leaping into it before you're ready, as you said. Good luck!
>>
>>18071402
Thanks, Anon. I'm gonna stick around for a bit as well, there's good questions here. My court is doing the family law summary advice clinic. It's mostly telling people what forms they need, and telling them that there's no such thing as "dog custody" (yet). You heard that some judge in Alaska of all places opened that door? Fuck me, as if there's not already enough things to fight over.
>>
>>18071408
>How often do people try to get free legal advice from you?
All the time. I don't mind. I always tell people that my advice is worth what I'm paid for it. Sometimes after a conversation the person will actually offer to pay me something, even just buy me a coffee. I refuse because I don't want to be on the hook for giving that person "legal advice" for a fee.

You young lawyers or law students out there, pay attention. This is important. Everyone you know will ask you shit. Hell, even before I went to law school my friends were asking me questions and I'd reply "how the fuck should I know?"

I guess that doctors get the same thing. You're talking to a hot chick at a party and you think she digs you but before long she shows you a sore and asks "what is this? Do I have VD?" And all your fantasies of hot sex with her swirl down the drain.
>>
>>18071421
>>18071429
Well your advice will make it that much easier not to fuck up! And oh I saw that. The idea is pretty wild. In terms of animal rights, I don't think it is a bad thing. But you are right, my god the conflict doors that has opened....
>>
>>18071439
See now that is interesting. How do the rules apply to you guys in Canada? I know that in the U.S., if we cross a certain threshold of advising, then the potential client becomes a client like it or not. And have certain obligations once that happens. So this is really the only context in which I feel ok talking about legal issues, but even then, I like to include the disclaimer.
>>
>>18071441
>nd oh I saw that. The idea is pretty wild. In terms of animal rights, I don't think it is a bad thing.
I don't have strong opinions one way or the the other on animal rights, Anon. But just because certain people treat their pets as "children" doesn't mean that the law has to recognize that particular mental illness.

I have a problem with separating couples arguing over pets when 90% of the children in the world don't get the same level of health care and nutrition. That really activates my almonds. And you'll get lots of questions about that, I guarantee it.
>>
>>18071047
What's your opinion on the United States Supreme Court ruling of Nix v. Hedden, which declares that Tomatoes are vegetables for import/tax reasons?

Is it right to concede to the common man's definition of tomatoes as vegetables?
>>
>>18071445
>How do the rules apply to you guys in Canada?
Excellent question! I take a simple approach. If I'm not paid, then I'm not retained, and whatever I say isn't "legal advice" upon which the person who acts upon it can't sue me later if I'm wrong. If I'm not retained or paid, then I'm not giving "legal advice" by definition, I'm giving "legal inforamation" or "recommendations". I fail to see how I can be held to a professional standard of care towards a person I barely know and hasn't paid me anything. I don't have a solicitor-client relationship with someone who asks me at the bar "how do I get out of paying child support for a kid I'm not sure is mine?"

I don't blame the asker of the question. But fuck it if I'm gonna be liable for giving advice to that cunt, and maybe be sued. And the second that I take anything, be it a coffee, or a beer from that cunt at the bar, or a blowjob from the milf, they can claim that they paid for my advice and then I'm on the hook.

New lawyers and law students, pay attention. This is how to not get sued.

Lawyers get a bad rap on this issue. But I don't wanna be sued. And I'm in Canada, let alone in Burgerland where everyone sues everyone for whatever comes to mind.
>>
>>18071449
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would have a problem with this.

The fact that there are starving children in parts of the world has LITERALLY NOTHING to do with this. Having a relatively objective arbitrator decide who gets "custody" of the pet doesn't in any way shortchange children anywhere.
>>
>>18071456
>What's your opinion on the United States Supreme Court ruling of Nix v. Hedden, which declares that Tomatoes are vegetables for import/tax reasons?
>Is it right to concede to the common man's definition of tomatoes as vegetables?
Good question. I have no opinion. That's a trade issue, classifying produce as fruit or vegetable to determine if it fits into one or another category of import tariffs.
>>
>>18071449
In the context of childcare that makes sense. The world is a hard fuckin place. That said, I need some healthy almonds. How do you activate those things? As I understand, they only activate around 3 PM.
>>
>>18071458
>I'm trying to figure out why anyone would have a problem with this.
In my view, pets are property. They have a monetary and replacement value. If someone kills my dog I can only sue for the replacement value of the dog. But if someone kills my child it's a whole other story.

Take the argument to the extreme. If we start arguing about dog custody, and then dog support, and what's in the dog's best interests, where does it end? With cats? With guinea pigs? What about little Johnny's ant farm?

Animals aren't people. I believe that animals should be treated well. But they aren't people, end of story. A dog doesn't vote or pay taxes, so why should the taxpayer funded courts spend time and money on them other than as property?

And yes, you're right. If I want to argue with my ex over who gets the dog, that doesn't feed a child in Africa. It's a matter of ethics. Maybe I love my pet rock like a child, what doors does that open?
>>
>>18071457
Now that is interesting, in Burgerland, things take a considerably more complicated turn. Were I to even tell a PC that I wasn't going to take their case, unless I made it completely clear that I wasn't going to take it because it wouldn't be worth it for my firm, the PC could sue me down the line for saying they didn't have a case. So damn a bright line rule sounds great from here.
>>
>>18071460
>As I understand, they only activate around 3 PM.
At 3:00 p.m.? Really? Do almonds follow time zones? If I put almonds on a plane that flies around the world at the same pace as the planet's rotation, are they always then activated?

Tough questions. But since I haven't been paid for my opinion on them, I can't be sued if I'm wrong.
>>
>>18071472
>Were I to even tell a PC that I wasn't going to take their case, unless I made it completely clear that I wasn't going to take it because it wouldn't be worth it for my firm, the PC could sue me down the line for saying they didn't have a case.
But if you weren't paid for that opinion, what solicitor-client relationship is created? To my mind, none was created and there's no reason or grounds to sue.

Many lawyers are greedy fucks, and charge a hundred dollars or whatever for a twenty minute consult. How can the lawyer in that limited time get their head around the issues and give "legal advice" upon which the customer is entitled to act upon?

Lots of lawyers do this shit, and it's a mistake. They'll be sued sooner or later.

For me, if I'm not paid then then there's no professional relationship established, and I can't be sued. Easy peasy.
>>
>>18071480
Frankly I recognize my value as a professional advocate and refuse to argue for either side until I am compensated accordingly.
>>
>>18071491
>I recognize my value as a professional advocate and refuse to argue for either side until I am compensated accordingly.
The force is strong with you. Go forth and earn.
>>
>>18071490
Well you see, that would make a lot of sense. But occasionally down in Burgerland, that does not apply. For you see, if a lawyer receives confidences, gives legal advice, or provides legal services, the lawyer may owe some professional duties to the PC. As a case of note you could research Togstad v. Vesely, Otto, Miller & Keefe 291 N.W.2d 686 (Minn. 1980). So it is a tricky trap here.
>>18071497
After I pass the bar, I will earn to my heart's content. Until I am sued. At which time Canada's laws may become appealing.
>>
>>18071502
Yes, in Burgerland it's more of a question of whether the "client' understood that they were getting context-specific legal advice upon which they are entitled to act, or whether it's legal information which can be gleaned online for from your best friend who also sued the fucker who ran over his dog and deprived him of the dog's love and affection as if it were a child. Yes, I have a bone to pick on that issue. I know it's coming, since it's just a question of time until judges are appointed who love their fucking Poopsie more than other human beings.
>>
If I made 7k at a job as a temporary freelancer. And I was paid as a contract, (I'm pretty sure under the table) will I get in trouble for not paying taxes on that money? In USA
>>
>>18071509
It is to late at night for me to do any real research on this, but generally, if your employer gets busted and that under the table income gets traced to you, prepare to get pegged by the IRS.
>>
>>18071145
Buy a house and raise a family
>>
>>18071509
>If I made 7k at a job as a temporary freelancer. And I was paid as a contract, (I'm pretty sure under the table) will I get in trouble for not paying taxes on that money?

Dude. I do family law. In Canada.

I don't do tax law in Burgerland.

Ask an accountant.

Fuck, do you observers see why I deem myself unable to be sued by someone who hasn't paid me?
>>
>>18071506
Well, at least I can confidently say that the McDonald's coffee burn lawsuit wasn't frivolous. So we at least have that going for us. And oh yes. That is definitely only a matter of time. I'm sure that at the very least the opinions will be intriguing.
>>
>>18071516
>Buy a house and raise a family

Yes. It's perfectly acceptable to break the law and earn illegal money, and pay no tax on that money, as long as your motivation is to buy a house for you and the broad you're banging children into.

See what I did there? No fees, no liability.
>>
>>18071518
But I need to know if I can write off my $400,000,000 yacht as a tax expense if I've used it as my personal vacation resort while I simultaneously used my other sailboat to harbor homeless Haitians after the hurricane and wrote off my losses from the depreciation value of harboring my boat near the homeless in Haiti. Plz respond!
>>
>>18071524
I can affirm the fine judgment of this individual.
>>
>>18071522
>I'm sure that at the very least the opinions will be intriguing.

I'm ethically opposed to that whole "area" of law, that pets should have rights similar to children. But I don't make the law. If it happens, then it happens. And if someone wants to pay me to argue about Poopsie, then I'll decide at that point whether to cash their cheque or to punch them in the face.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm saying that lawyers get shat upon, especially in family law, because they are the public manifestation of "the system". But I didn't make the rules, I only play by them. And those rules are complicated which leads to the opportunity to charge a fee to others for my knowledge. I don't fix my own car, and I don't prepare my own tax returns. Same principal.
>>
>>18071047
So I'm in Poland, but I figgure the laws may be still similar enough that it's worth asking. I have a brother from the same father, but different mother. He is like 9 years younger than me, still underage. I have never seen him in my life, the only thing I know about him is his name (my dad knows nothing more, basically, he just pays the alimony. He doesn't care enough to take any actual pains to find out anything.
So is there a way I could learn anything about my brother? Am I entitled to such information? I would like to finally meet him.
>>
>>18071526
>Plz respond!
If you have two boats and have used one for legitimate charitable work, then you can claim that those losses apply to the maintenance or purchase of your yacht. In that case, you're claiming that you have a fleet of boats for charitable work. I can't promise you won't be audited however.

Keep in mind the capital cost allowance and depreciation of market value assets. This is why Trump hasn't paid taxes in years, apparently.

Your best bet if you're in a tax crunch is to claim the entirety of one boat as having been destroyed by a sharknado or some shit and is a total writeoff, but you have meanwhile sailed it overseas and had it repainted, renamed, and relicensed to that country. Then you keep your boat, and get the writeoff of its entire value to apply to the cost of your personal yacht, bringing to zero what you've actually spent on your fleet.

Unless you incorporate. Then be a pirate.
>>
>>18071528
Oh I completely understand. From the criminal law perspective, I've had friends ask me how I could even dream of representing someone guilty. Never mind that this is an adversarial system by design. Never mind that your rights are only upheld insofar as the rights of the most guilty criminal among us are upheld. Never mind that defense lawyers serve as a check and balance to the police departments. Never mind that the constitution gives American citizens (and even non-American, illegal immigrants) inalienable rights. If one bad person gets off then it must be that crooked defense lawyer and it couldn't at all be the shitty prosecutor or the local police that fucked up the investigation by being ignorant shitlords.
>>
>>18071534
You figured wrong.

See a lawyer near you and ask him or her.
>>
>>18071548
+1
>>
>>18071542
>how I could even dream of representing someone guilty.
I get this all the time in family law when I'm representing some semi conscious parent who tells me that they'd do anything for their kids but won't give up crystal meth.
I'm part of the checks and balances. I expect to lose those trials, but I'm there to ensure that the state has done its job and not exceeded its authority. Social workers employed by the state have the right to enter your home and take your kids away if they get an anonymous call that you're molesting them.

I'm the dam to the state's power of taking your kids away without reason. That's a noble calling, in my view.
>>
>>18071553
I completely agree. Well anon, it has been a great thread. Perhaps the most enjoyable thread I had participated in, however it is now 1 AM and I have Mergers & Acquisitions at 8. So good night to you, and I wish you luck in all your future family law endeavors!
>>
>>18071561
This was a good one. Good luck on your mergers, and I wish you well. Maybe we'll cross paths again here on the vast wasteland of ignorance and idiocy of 4chan. G'night my friend.
>>
>>18071047
OK, I'm surprised that nobody has asked me how to save the white race, or why women always win in court, or why I haven't killed myself yet due to faggotry or autism or kek-wills-it or whatever.

I'm logging off shortly, perhaps I'll be back and see how Anon's mergers class went.

In the meantime, anyone who has a question should ask it now. I'm off to bed in about the time it takes to finish this drink and have a smoke, otherwise I'll try to check in tomorrow. But no promises. Especially because no one is paying me.
>>
>>18071593
Why do women win in family court?
>>
>>18071593
Well, this thread seems destined for the 404 which is fine. Good night /adv/. I'll see you all next time.
>>
>>18071620
>Why do women win in family court?
Seriously? I'm on my way to bed. Save it for the next time, Anon.
>>
>>18071629
It was a half-joke, but I'd like to know the reason for the lopsided statistics either way.
>>
Not so much a question of family law but,

I have a friend who went to prison for delivering and manufacturing charges.

Looking at earliest release in 2020. I couldn't afford a lawyer at the time, and he's already serving out his sentence in prison. He had a shitty public defender, if I could afford a top notch lawyer is it possible to have the case tried again to give him a better sentence.

I'm guessing not, but I really want to help him.
>>
>>18071524
Thank you for your poor reading comprehension jackass. I asked what the best legal way to obtain wealth is.
>>
I hope you're still around, OP.

I live in NYS and want to move to SC. I've got a 4 year old child and her dad is a big time loser. He's holding half of his taxes over my head though he claimed her and myself (he has never even had her over night) saying he wants to go to court for visitation. We need that money to gtf out of this shit hole.

My question is, will a judge make us stay here if we do wind up going to court? She was born in NY, if that has anything to do with anything.

Fingers crossed you're still around.
>>
>>18071620
>Why do women win in family court?
Not OP, but I can answer that one.

Male judges are typical straight men with an inherent bias against their same sex, while female judges are usually militant feminists.
>>
>>18071047
Don't know if its the best person to ask but I'll ask:

I need money, obviously, but I don't want to be a wage slave. I'm not talented, nor do I have any skills, since I don't want to be used by anyone, and I won't become a prostitute either.

How do I get an "actual "legitimate"" job without sucking some fatasses dick/wheat carpet?
>>
>>18071047
More of a "fun" question. What's the most interesting story you have from your career?
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.