[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brainlet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: divergenced numberň.jpg (11KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
divergenced numberň.jpg
11KB, 400x225px
What field of physics should I study at uni?
>>
>>18069597
let me see
do you like Classical mechanics?
>>
>>18069599
Yep.
>>
>>18069603
scratch that, that's a random question lol
Do you need to decide the specific field before going to uni? I mean, perhaps just broadly as theoretical vs experimental (or Applied) Physics right? I mean the first two years should be pretty much general courses
>>
>>18069611
Yeah I know but I don't know what to study after that. Astrophysics? Theoretical physics? -_-
>>
>>18069621
For now, try to excel at the basics then you will be at the position to decide the next step for yourself. I think that's ideal. Take a look at the basics here
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
I believe any physics student should at least read through the three volumes and master them, if you can do that before starting uni, congrats, if not, try to do so within the first two years at most. After that kids gloves are off.

On the other hand, if you need to decide right now, or just being curious, I can only summarize my view: only pick theoretical physics if you are very good at abstraction and mathematical analysis. Otherwise pick other branches in which it mostly suffices to diligently provide experimental results.

If you want to hear about how cool Astro, Quantum, or Solid State physics is, and then make a decision based on those descriptions I suggest wikipedia. Or if you want to know more about interesting problems and decide your path based on which type of problems you would like to solve, go to Physics.SE
>>
>>18069638
>Physics.SE
Typo, It's http://physics.stackexchange.com/
>>
>Solid State
>>
>>18069682
that's the best you could come up with?
>>
>>18069722
ok, so since I was a teen I read physics books and always been obsessed with what reality is etc but never went to uni and its been sort of an amateur hobby

in my search I found solid state physics to be the most interesting and potentially hottest field because it deals with exotic states of matter and I think that there are breakthroughs to be made that can have real life applications. for example the proposed limit in transistor size

It's just really interesting to me is all, the way matter does funky shit...quasicrystals are fascinating
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.