[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proper Conduct to Tell Boss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 4L_LUsOK58s.jpg (50KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
4L_LUsOK58s.jpg
50KB, 400x400px
I started working at a small and privately owner, yet very rich business 9 months ago. I was offered a decent wage to start. Because of the incompetence of another lazy person that was "leaving for more pay" 3 days before I started before I even started the position that person lost their new job and came back and demanded their job back and the company brought them back at the same pay and on my first day I found out mine got cut to almost in half because the claimed they needed the money to pay the returning employee. I thought this is BS, but I stayed because I needed more money and got this job as my second job. One month into the job and they found out I had a degree in accounting and a minor in communications they started using me to pick up the slack of the employees in their payroll and advertisement departments. I worked hard and quickly finished their slack work so the company began giving me more and more of their work over the months and I've been outpacing both of them on each of their work loads. The company was so pleased that they promised they'd offer me a "huge" increase in pay, which was the amount I was offered to start at. That promise of an offer was made 2 months ago and since then they have not mentioned it once, yet pushed more and more work on me while the payroll and and advertisement employees sit on their phones and watch YouTube. I was pulled aside a week ago and was told by the owner that he wanted me to take on this huge project, but he wouldn't be able to increase my pay for "awhile" and when I inquired "how long" he said "the company is going through hard times, so I can't say". The general and office manager pulled me aside and sympathized with me saying that this is untrue and maybe he can help talk the owner into increasing my pay. How do I politely tell the owner that I won't do the work until I get a pay increase. My title is a secretary and my official job duties include nothing like the ones I'm being made to do.
>>
I've had two friends in similar situations, and in both cases they threatened to leave if they didn't get the raise, and the businesses caved to both of them.
>>
>>18067617
I've been considering it this entire week. Would you happen to know how they presented it to the job? I can butcher simple demands and make them sound like I'm going to burn the building down because of how terrible I am with expressing the points I try to make. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated
>>
>How do I politely tell the owner that I won't do the work until I get a pay increase.

"Excuse me, Mr. Boss? I started working at a small and privately owner, yet very rich business 9 months ago. I was offered a decent wage to start. Because of the incompetence of another lazy person that was "leaving for more pay" 3 days before I started before I even started the position that person lost their new job and came back and demanded their job back and the company brought them back at the same pay and on my first day I found out mine got cut to almost in half because the claimed they needed the money to pay the returning employee. I thought this is BS, but I stayed because I needed more money and got this job as my second job. One month into the job and they found out I had a degree in accounting and a minor in communications they started using me to pick up the slack of the employees in their payroll and advertisement departments. I worked hard and quickly finished their slack work so the company began giving me more and more of their work over the months and I've been outpacing both of them on each of their work loads. The company was so pleased that they promised they'd offer me a "huge" increase in pay, which was the amount I was offered to start at. That promise of an offer was made 2 months ago and since then they have not mentioned it once, yet pushed more and more work on me while the payroll and and advertisement employees sit on their phones and watch YouTube. My title is a secretary and my official job duties include nothing like the ones I'm being made to do."
>>
>>18067632
In one case, they needed it to continue paying the rent cause they fucked themselves financially, so was easy to say "I can't afford to keep living around here unless I get a raise" on top of the fact that they 100% deserved it (ended being 10k raise).

The other one was essentially doing the work of 3 people, and they gave the job he wanted to do instead to someone way less qualified, so he just said "If I don't get a raise for literally outworking everyone else in the office, I'm out".

If you're the only one who can do what they need done, then they're going to want to keep you.
>>
>>18067576
Op Im in a simular situation. Id say, mr boss Id like to talk about my pay. Take a serious approach since money is important to the boss. It is sometimes a gamble but you obviously feel you are underpaid. They may even bluff but stay the course.
For me I worry that my bosses ego will get in the way if I demand a higher pay. And that she will fire me. But im negotiating with her.
>>
>>18067635
You're a dick
>>
Ask for then to put it in writing and be specific about the what your new wage will be and when it will take effect. Have them sign it and you have a contract.

If they refuse this, it's a sign that it is a poor company to work for.
>>
>>18067635
>>18067699
>>18067846
>>18067866

Haven't gotten a chance to read most of these yet will be reading them within 45 mins. Thanks ahead of time!
>>
>>18067699
This option might really work as they know I just got a new place closer to work and I'm in a lease, but don't know how much I pay a month. The problem about only me being able to do what they want is that the owner is completely ignorant to anything that isn't his direct job. But all your information was helpful! I'm going to think over this one

>>18067846
The owner does seem like the reasonable type. I'd like to speak with him directly one on one I think that this suggestion in tandem the previous suggestion should work. I'm going to type a script up or something and have someone read it and see how it sounds

>>18067866
Apparently something like that has been attempted many times before and his reaction supposedly is always acting like someone is trying to rob him and he and finds them a replacement. Honestly I don't think a lot, and I mean a lot a lot, of our employee don't have the training or the work ethic needed to actually created a productive business and according to someone who has been there 25 years it was always that way so when the boss thinks someone is expendable is only because the replacement are never any different and they slack off and don't do work so production is always about the same. How this business got where it is is beyond me.
>>
Flat out tell him you are stretched to maximum capacity. Explain that you started with one set of duties, and quickly expanded them to cover more, all while taking a pay cut.

You have already demonstrated competence, its time for the boss to make a decision. He can either keep you doing what you are doing, put you on the new project while relieving you of some of your existing duties, or boost your pay.

If not, you can selectively start prioritizing your workload. What doesn't get done, doesn't get done. You are only one man, and there only so many hours in a day.
>>
Start applying to other jobs. Polish up your resume using the experience you're getting working above your paygrade.

Once you have another position secured, go to his office and tell him he's giving you a raise or you're gone. Don't put up with that 'i'll give you a raise soon' horse shit, demand a timeline, if he can't provide one, or he breaches it, leave.

Did the same thing at my last job. I was doing the jobs of 3 people for the pay of half a person, got tired of it and used all of the experience I got to polish up my resume and apply somewhere better. Went into his office, told him he's giving me a raise next month or I'm gone today. He refused and I left right there. New job pays more for less work and it's at a competing firm so the fact that I left the other office in complete chaos was a plus.
>>
>>18068351
I'm totally agree with you here I'm stretched far and keep stretching farther and he wants me now to do this huge project in my "spare" time. What spare time? He's already requested I take work home or I could come in earlier to do more work, but I'm not interested in adding hours to this job since my life is already full enough as it is. Funny thing is I kind of thought of doing the job priority thing you mentioned all day as I juggled my work loads. Thanks I'm definitely adding what your entire post suggests into my strategy.

>>18068484
That's a great idea. I used that a few times years ago, but I was so lucky I never had to argue pay, because either the pay was only slightly less than I was making for much less stress or about the same pay with at least a mildly more health environment. This is going in for sure, thanks!

Thanks a lot guys for all of the help! Hopefully I can make all of this great information work and come back and help others with the experience I gain from the help from everyone's knowledge or worst case I royally screw up this plan and I know where I can find helpful people to aid me in a job search :D
>>
If you ask for more money you will seem confident in yourself and abilitiey. Just think, you could be worth 2,3 or 4 times what you get payed and they are nickle dimeing you. Its the same as stealing from you almost.
>>
>>18067576
Present your boss with exactly the same story you posted here, but with specific names and dates inserted. End with. "I would like to continue at Thisco, but will not be able to afford to at this pay level. If you cannot begin to pay me what I was originally promised by [two weeks from now] I will have to begin looking elsewhere."
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.