[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ADHD?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: bofqohluuaq-alessandro-sacchi.jpg (2MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
bofqohluuaq-alessandro-sacchi.jpg
2MB, 4272x2848px
I know none of you are doctors, but I'm hoping that maybe some of you out there have experience with ADHD in some way.

So, I'm nineteen years old and have had trouble with school all my life. Around age 13 my parents noticed I had trouble paying attention in school and took me to a doctor. I was diagnosed with ADHD and have been taking medication for it. It really didn't help.

I'm only discovering now that there are more symptoms of ADHD than I knew before. Restlessness, tenseness, short-tempered, and above everything else, TROUBLE DEDICATING ONESELF TO WORK.

I've noticed that I'm (in general) an acceptable writer, and my SAT scores have proven that. I NEVER did any homework and I barely scraped by in high school surfing on my test scores. Because of this, I'm stuck at a community college, but I don't think all hope is lost.

What I'm asking is if I should change medication. My current meds, focalin, is a Dexmethylphenidate. It helps me to focus, but that's about it. Would ALL ADHD medication JUST make me focus? Is focalin the best choice? Or is there some magic ADHD pill that I can pop once or twice a day that will make me more dedicated to work, more calm, less irritable, etc?
>>
You're gonna have to sit down with your doctor and probably give many medications a try mate. Tell your doctor everything about what you feel on the medication vs off. What side effects you don't like, or what you don't feel this medication is helping, along with what you do feel it is helping with.

There is no magical cure, unfortunately. You're most likely gonna have to pick your battles on it. Which are the most important aspects of your AD/HD you need to have fixed in order to better function in society. Which are ones you can deal with?

Your doctor can also suggest non medicated approaches to some of the other things too. Use the meds to fix the attention, use some self guided mediation or a dietary change to help with the irritability.
Or hell, they might even be able to prescribe a secondary med to help with the other things, though I know most docs don't wanna pump you full of drugs.

Thing is, while yes, those things are all associated with AD/HD, they're also associated with A TON of different disorders. You might have something entirely separate from the AD/HD as well, the restlessness could be coming from a completely different disorder, and therefore need a completely different approach to fix.

Last thing I have to say is regarding the dedicating to work thing.
I was diagnosed and put on Adderall in high school. While the attention span was immensely improved, I too still struggled with getting motivated and just starting the work. As soon as I got going I was fine, I just could never get started.
I didn't learn how to manage that until college really. It's just something I learned how to do through practice, some of that shit is stuff you'll just have to learn how to manage too with time. Meds can't fix everything, science has only gotten so far, sometimes you just gotta figure it out on your own. Work hard enough at it, and you'll usually find something that works.
>>
File: 1487476875910.png (947KB, 474x503px) Image search: [Google]
1487476875910.png
947KB, 474x503px
>>18067430
Shit, man I get that. I just need to see another shrink and figure out exactly what's gonna work for me. I wish I knew about this sooner, or that my parents looked more into it.

I always thought I was crazy, lazy, had anxiety, etc. I might just have extreme and untreated ADHD.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.